Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the next Avengers movie should open with the team in the field facing whatever opposition, with Falcon-Cap directing the battle, already settled into the role. Just skip the "I'm not worthy" crap and get down to business.

What, after all, did Cap bring to the table for leadership? Strong tactical leadership in the field, and a strong moral compass. We've lost Cap, Natasha and Clint for tactical leaders. Winter Soldier may have the better tactical chops, but he's got way more personal baggage than Sam. Moral compass? I'm not sure they have anyone better suited than Falcon for that role.

As far as goal setting, long term planning and other big picture stuff, the team generally seems to  handle those matters on a committee basis anyway.

Falcon seems to be a logical choice to replace Cap.

The question I have is when they're going to set "The Falcon and the Winter Soldier" TV show in the timeline and how it will affect the movies.

3 hours ago, Matt the Bruins said:

To somebody it fits better? With paler skin, perhaps?

The MCU Falcon suit flies by the wearer extending his arms and little jets on the wings.

The shield works by pulling whichever arm has the shield close to the wearer's body for protection or by using the arm in a throwing motion like for a Frizbee.

Either one of those uses of the shield doesn't work when the wings are all that are keeping the wearer in the air.

I think the Captain America identity would fit any hero better than the Falcon because using the shield interferes with the Falcon using his only superpower.

That could have been a spectacular fight. Falcon clearly has the edge in aerial agility, but Vulture's alien tech gives him more firepower. Of course Peter didn't know Sam at the time.

Re Sam Wilson, I could definitely see him as a tactical leader for the Avengers. But I'd rather see him as the Falcon. He's clearly most effective in the air, and besides mobility his wing-pack gives him protection and formidable hand-to-hand and ranged weapons. That shield is more effective when wielded by someone with superhuman strength and agility, like movie Cap. (I always thought it ridiculous that comic-book Cap could make it do what he does if his strength is only "peak human.")

I would prefer to see the identity of Captain America retired in the MCU, until they give us someone with both the physical ability and the mentality to take up the shield. What I'm hoping for in the Falcon/Winter Soldier series is a journey for Bucky during which he comes to terms with his past and dedicates himself to his old friend's ideals, to the point where Sam turns the shield over to him.

3 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

That could have been a spectacular fight. Falcon clearly has the edge in aerial agility, but Vulture's alien tech gives him more firepower. Of course Peter didn't know Sam at the time.

THe first MCU appearance and fight with Spidy was against Bucky and Falcon. Granted he didn't know Sam, but he knew Falcon. 

1 hour ago, Greywind said:

From the clips, it looks like Zemo is back in Falcon and the Winter Soldier.

Zero has been in F&tWS for as long as i can remember. I'm thinking when the series was announced. 

3 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Bucky might get more mileage out of the shield, but Sam has wielded it in the air in the comics during his stint/s as Cap.

In the comics, his wings were Wakandan tech. A couple of times, it was mentioned that those wings use anti-gravity technology, though I'm not sure whether that's been the official explanation over the last three decades.

Comic book tech is significantly more advanced than MCU tech. (Personally, I'd like the MCU to use the 5 year leap forward as an excuse to move the available tech a lot closer to comic book levels.)

On 9/14/2020 at 5:56 PM, Greywind said:

Keep in mind, Falcon was Team Cap. Peter was Team Internship.

Yeah but so? Spidey calls Happy who calls Sam. Sam turns up because that is what heroes do. 

"Team Internship" accepts the rule of international law, natural moral law, the will of nations, democracy (the will of the people), and favours the Avengers purpose as an advance team to stop interplanetary threats thus protecting the 7.5 billion people on Earth. Team Cap protects Bucky. 

5 hours ago, Bazza said:

Yeah but so? Spidey calls Happy who calls Sam. Sam turns up because that is what heroes do. 

Leaving aside the fact that this is the same issue that arises in every solo comic book, given the tone of the movie, Spidey calls Happy, Happy tells Tony, Tony dresses Spidey down again for getting involved where the Big Boys should be handling matters.

When would he have asked for that help?  I don't recall any point where he knew he could just go after the Vulture in a few days, once he heard back on when the Falcon's schedule would be open to go after the Vulture.

1 hour ago, Starlord said:

I was kind of hoping that Kang would be the next big story arc for the Avengers movies.

Not that Ant-Man couldn't be a good launching pad for that but Ant-Man hasn't always been the most serious movie series. I just don't see a van which plays La Cucaracha interacting well with a villain who could shrug off blows from Thor's hammer.

I'm pretty sure he did. But Greywind was making a joke with the name of the character from TOS Star Trek episode, "The Conscience of the King," who was known as Kodos the Executioner; and linking him to the Marvel character also called the Executioner. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Conscience_of_the_King