Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

5 hours ago, zslane said:

True. But that doesn't seem to stop newcomers from watching Critical Role and then going out and buying some D&D books.

Yes, but D&D is ready to play out of the box, buy the starter box and be playing in just a couple hours or less. 

I have seen people come into my FLGS (back before it closed) ask if they sold D&D. 

Go "Wow, that is a lot of books!"

Then the game store staffer said "Well you can download a entry version for free from WotC D&D website or try a starter box.  It comes with a starter rules, characters and an adventure designed the learn the game".

They buy the starter set, open it and start playing after flipping through the book for 10-15 minutes. 

Bamf!  Cha-Ching and another PHB (or two) gets sold.

I have seen it so many times.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chuck Dixon does have the resources to tell exactly what is working and what is not, from his decades of writing comics and the revenues from various reprintings and sales of his work.  He ran down a bunch of numbers and the history of comic book sales recently in regards to DC recently firing like 100 people from their staff.  I highly recommend his Ask Chuck Dixon series.  Here's the latest as of now.

They buy the starter set, open it and start playing after flipping through the book for 10-15 minutes. 

Bamf!  Cha-Ching and another PHB (or two) gets sold.

And this is something I want very badly to do for Champions at least, and maybe Fantasy Hero.  The entry curve in terms of purchase for Hero isn't nearly as bad as D&D but its not as easy to just pick up and play from the book.

15 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

And this is something I want very badly to do for Champions at least, and maybe Fantasy Hero.  The entry curve in terms of purchase for Hero isn't nearly as bad as D&D but its not as easy to just pick up and play from the book.

I am actually working on an idea along those lines..

But it is slow going since my free time has taken a serious hit in the last few months.

7 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Chuck Dixon does have the resources to tell exactly what is working and what is not, from his decades of writing comics and the revenues from various reprintings and sales of his work.  He ran down a bunch of numbers and the history of comic book sales recently in regards to DC recently firing like 100 people from their staff.  I highly recommend his Ask Chuck Dixon series.  Here's the latest as of now.

So, why not (steal) borrow WotC’s business model? 
Come up with a free downloadable EASY version of the rules, some characters based on the Avengers/Justice League/X-Men. (Since they’re the archetypes your potential players want) Toss in some easy to understand villains and a bank robbery or Viper raids the Govt. laboratory episode, and there you go.

For good measure include a discount code for a Players Handbook from the website.

6 hours ago, Tjack said:

So, why not (steal) borrow WotC’s business model? 
Come up with a free downloadable EASY version of the rules, some characters based on the Avengers/Justice League/X-Men. (Since they’re the archetypes your potential players want) Toss in some easy to understand villains and a bank robbery or Viper raids the Govt. laboratory episode, and there you go.

For good measure include a discount code for a Players Handbook from the website.

Let's riff off of this.  WOTC does this by providing a subset of the rules - the full rules add more classes, feats, spells, races, etc.

Hero could provide a "basic combat and skill resolution" rules package, including how attacks, damage, characteristics, skills, advantages, limitations, complications, etc. work (including only those abilities used to stat out the heroes and the adversaries used in the intro scenario(s)).

Don't give them the character-building rules.  Don't show them the point costs underlying the builds.  Just give them the characters, and the rules they need to play a short scenario (or a few in succession).

Want more? Want to build your own characters, for any genre, for any game, with any abilities you want?  Well, here are the books you would want for a Supers game, and some more books you may want to expand that.  Prefer fantasy, pulp, sci-fi, etc.?  Here are the books you would want for those genres.  Welcome to HERO.

5 hours ago, zslane said:

Oh boy.  Now the MCU thread has devolved into the bi-annual How To Make The HERO System Attract New Players debate. Please, god, no...

So if this idea of trying to keep this game, which we are all fans of keeps coming up, why is it the only products coming out from the company are MORE complicated, MORE insular and MORE cutting into thinner slices of an ever shrinking pie instead of trying to get some new warm bodies into the ranks?
   Instead of discussing variation after variation with very limited appeal (Western, Space, Pulp) why don’t we try to come up with a way to keep this ship afloat, because at this rate in the next 5-10 years there won’t be a Champions game anymore. 
   I’m sorry if this is kind of a drag, but this game has given me some of the best times and friends of my life and I’m getting damn tired of watching debates on the placement of deck chairs instead of using this well of experience to turn the ship away from the damn iceberg.

Any chance of hearing from the folks at the top of the pole on this?

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

Maybe? If the question were asked in a relevant discussion group anyway. ;)

If the question gets something positive started you have my permission/blessing/utmost thanks to move it.  But it was in response to something posted by someone higher on the food chain than my most humble self.

The point itself however does stand.  Can we as a group come up with a real world implementable way to bring in new people on a larger scale than putting up a sign in a comic shop or an occasional game at a convention?

Again I invite the heavy hitters, the people who created this all in the first place to chime in. 
There has to be a way to do a comparable on-line version of a Champions players starter kit like the ones created by WotC and Pathfinder.

I may be saying it in the wrong place, but I’m yelling “Iceberg off the port bow!” as loud as I can. Can anybody hear me?

On 12/2/2020 at 9:22 AM, zslane said:

It  must be a cultural thing because as far as I can tell, manga is still going strong as a medium in Japan.

It is. Comic books are seen by the mainstream as children’s product and even now looked upon as the purview of man children. In Japan, it’s just another form of literature, and often seen in the wild there being read by every one.