Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming the writers have not fumbled the ball, Vision is not just a construct in an artificial world.  In the first episode

Spoiler

at work, he pushes pretty hard trying to figure out what the company does.  It seems like it doesn't "do" anything.  No one knows what all the paperwork they are undertaking supports - do we manufacture something?  Sell something?  Provide some service?  No one else sees the issue, so he is clearly different from the rest of the "sitcom support players".  For that matter, why would anything happen away from Wanda?  So far [Ep 1 and 2], nothing happens unless one of Wanda or Vision is present, though.

8 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I'm old enough to remember when Inhumans was going to be the next big thing

Yeah, but I didn't like the Inhumans. I know, I know,  minority opinion compared with the great groundswell of demand for more Inhumans-related entertainment product of the teens, but it is my opinion and I am sticking with it. (Although I did like Agents of Shield.

Also, so how about this guy who definitely has his finger on the pulse:

I haven't watched WandaVision at all;  I'm not in the mood to give Disney money.  My choice, of course.

But the gaping plot...not hole, per se, but unanswered question was with that second <snap>.  It's FAR worse than the story suggests.  Here's one point:  after 5 years with only 3.5 billion people, food production will be at a level to support.......3.5 billion people.

What happens when, overnight, there's 7 billion?

*To a degree*...if half of everything included animals, then there's a massive surge of slaughterable animals.  But that won't last that long.  And it'll still take time to slaughter, age safely, process, and distribute.  OK, there's *some* food in the supply chain, but when you double demand, it simply won't last.  And fruits and veggies?  Tree fruits and nuts...perhaps the trees wouldn't have been <snap>ed but a fair few would've fallen to lack of care.  But most veggies and grains?  They're annuals.  

OK, I'm going to apologize in advance.  This is...ugly.

If people returned exactly where they were...or at least very close (assume, say, the principle of Safe Teleport applies)...

If they were in planes in the air....the plane isn't there when they return.  If they were on a ship in the middle of the ocean...there's no ship....

This is worse, and the ugly part.  If they were in a car, say...driving on a freeway.......

In Marion Harmon's Wearing the Cape series, the world changes in the relatively recent past (he doesn't date it per se, but first decade of this century) when The Event happens.  Everyone on the planet blacks out for 3+ seconds.  In most cases, this wouldn't matter...but in city traffic, 3 seconds is a lot.  For a plane safely at cruising altitude, it *probably* wouldn't matter...and wouldn't matter if the plane's on autopilot.  But at some stages on takeoff or landing........not good.  Harmon doesn't try to give a body count, but he makes it clear...it was very, very ugly.  And post-Event...people started gaining superpowers, but that's a separate mess.

But the immediate aftermath of the restorative <snap> would be incalculably worse.

I've been listening to the Explain This Comics Guys podcast by fellow Herophile Darren Watts and what strikes me is how similar the release schedule for Marvel films mimics the actual history of Marvel Comics releases.  Its not exact in the order, but starting out with Iron Man and Thor then going on to Dr Strange, Spider-Man, Captain Marvel, then a new roster of Avengers with late 70s and mid 80s characters etc is kind of Marvel's arc.

Obviously FF came out first but that was before MCU really got their act together (and, technically, it did predate Iron Man, but not X-Men).

I mean, holy crap.

Spoiler

They not only brought back Quicksilver, they brought back the more popular version of him from the X-franchise. I get the suspicion he may stick around.  We've got 3 episodes left, so that's the 90s, 00s and 10s for sitcom eras.  Also, I probably wouldn't be pointing any more weapons at Wanda if I were director of SWORD. Yeesh.

3 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I've been listening to the Explain This Comics Guys podcast by fellow Herophile Darren Watts and what strikes me is how similar the release schedule for Marvel films mimics the actual history of Marvel Comics releases.  Its not exact in the order, but starting out with Iron Man and Thor then going on to Dr Strange, Spider-Man, Captain Marvel, then a new roster of Avengers with late 70s and mid 80s characters etc is kind of Marvel's arc.

Obviously FF came out first but that was before MCU really got their act together (and, technically, it did predate Iron Man, but not X-Men).

New Avengers roster first happened in issue 16 when "Cap and the Crooks" became the team. Cap, Scarlet, Quicksilver, and Hawkeye.

5 hours ago, unclevlad said:

I haven't watched WandaVision at all;  I'm not in the mood to give Disney money.  My choice, of course.

But the gaping plot...not hole, per se, but unanswered question was with that second <snap>.  It's FAR worse than the story suggests.  Here's one point:  after 5 years with only 3.5 billion people, food production will be at a level to support.......3.5 billion people.

What happens when, overnight, there's 7 billion?

*To a degree*...if half of everything included animals, then there's a massive surge of slaughterable animals.  But that won't last that long.  And it'll still take time to slaughter, age safely, process, and distribute.  OK, there's *some* food in the supply chain, but when you double demand, it simply won't last.  And fruits and veggies?  Tree fruits and nuts...perhaps the trees wouldn't have been <snap>ed but a fair few would've fallen to lack of care.  But most veggies and grains?  They're annuals.  

Exactly correct.

And I'd like to complain once again about Thanos's entire premise: it took the Earth about 45 years to go from 3.5 billion people to 7 billion.

That's hardly any kind of lasting paradise, even if you have the snap taking away only "unnecessary" people rather than the skilled workers who hold the civilization together (people who know how to operate water, sewage, electrical grid, energy production, etc.) and there being no other lasting negative repercussions.

I still think the MCU would have been better off portraying Thanos's goal as worshipping the personification of Death and the snap being a sacrifice to her. Leave it murky as to whether Death is a real "person" who might be persuaded by sacrifice or whether Thanos's obsession with the person of Death was just a mental delusion.

If the audience seems to like the idea of Death as a person, leaves the door open to movies like Dr. Strange introducing other conceptual entities of the Marvel comics universe and having the audience already prepped for the idea of such entities existing.

As for the second snap leaving people who had been in airplanes reappearing in mid-air and warehouses, granaries and fields being empty of food, I don't have a problem assuming that Stark would have obsessed endlessly with every detail about what he would do if he had access to an all-powerful artifact like the Infinity Gauntlet and knew exactly what he would do with it.

Stark is a super-genius futurist. Banner might not have thought things through. But there's no way that Stark wouldn't have corrected any of Banner's oversights as he was using the Gauntlet.

People would reappear on the ground rather than in mid-air or mid-sea. Fallow land would be instantly filled with plants in whatever stage of growth was appropriate for the year. Gas tanks would be full in every car and filling station. Oil storage facilities would be topped off and not leaking. Supertankers would be full and in good repair. Grocery store shelves and warehouses would be full everywhere. Grass in fields would be sufficient for the reappearing animals. 

7 hours ago, Lawnmower Boy said:

And I thought we were buddies! 

PS You're not allowed to say "Nextwave" again on pain of being full of many useful devices

:)

I should clarify that I like Nextwave - I just don't think it belongs in the main MCU, it seems to fit better in the Deadpool MCU which is apparently happening.  Not a fan of the Deadpool comics myself, but I think the movies were hilarious.

1 hour ago, Greywind said:

Thanos' snap didn't take half the people. It took half of all living organisms.

Destroying half of the plankton and other plant life might have had a pretty severe negative effect on oxygen levels.

Not saying you're wrong in how the movies described it working.

But destroying half of the rain forests...yeesh.

37 minutes ago, Bazza said:

Well, I’m inclined to think Feige thought that Thanos loving the personification of Death would not be groked by most of the audience. 

edit:

Why Thanos Doesn’t Woo a Sexy Skeleton in Avengers: Infinity War

https://www.vulture.com/2018/04/why-thanos-doesnt-woo-death-in-avengers-infinity-war.html

When asked about his motivations Thanos could monologue, "I've seen Death herself in my dreams. She is real. She is a person. I've sacrificed thousands, millions with no success. With but with THIS sacrifice, she will appear to me. She will come to me. And we will be together as one."

He's a bad guy. He's either completely right and irredeemably evil. Or he's completely crazy and irredeemably evil.

I don't think that's difficult for audiences to understand.

After the snap as he disappears from Thor, he gets a vision of Death. He seems satisfied but as he reaches out to her the vision quickly fades away. He looks devastated and asks himself, "What more can I do?" then lands on his retirement planet.

Then when the Avengers track him down, instead of chilling in his vacation home, he's brooding and playing with his pile of skulls.

You don't have to spend time with Death as a character.