Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

3 hours ago, Dr. MID-Nite said:

The Busiek run was pretty damn good. He understood the characters.

Agreed.  I wish the current writer of Power Pack understood the characters half as well as Busiek understood the Avengers.  Actually, thinking on it, I wish Busiek was writing Power Pack.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Dark Phoenix was moderately enjoyable. But then, the movies I was comparing it to were its rough draft (X-Men: The Last Stand) and the crapfest that preceded it (X-Men: Apocalypse). I enjoyed James McAvoy's performance, the special effects, and getting to watch Jennifer Lawrence's character die on camera.

Between Suicide Squad and Dark Phoenix, I would only agree to watch Dark Phoenix again. It was not great, but it was infinitely better than Suicide Squad.

I think it is telling that Feige is taking his sweet time working mutants into the MCU and not rushing a new X-Men movie out the door just to cash in on the name recognition. He knows what the stakes are in terms of the fan reaction. He knows he only gets one chance to get it right. By contrast, WB/DC just constantly churns out rehashes of their main characters, fracturing the fanbase further with every release.

13 hours ago, Bazza said:

the Lantern Corps

I know a lot of people like it, and many never knew any other way.  But the whole Lantern Corp thing destroyed the entire coolness of the Green Lantern.  Instead of a unique and cool Hero, we got Smuckatelly Joe just one of 246729482629 others. 

We went from one unique magical based superhero to one unique superscience based superhero to "just a beat-cop among thousands of other beat-cops".  

Sad, but there you have it. 

I agree, but it was pretty much from the start, sadly.  They wanted an origin for the magic ring in the silver age reboot and we got the corps.  To me its always been a mistake, and Green Langer doesn't exactly have legions of fans, so I think a reboot that throws that all out and makes it closer to the original golden age concept would be a step in the right direction.

Yeah but they can rewrite that.  Someone made a mistake, it was a fake ring, whatever.  If you do a reboot, then the whole history gets rewritten anyway.  We're on, what, the tenth total restructuring of DC's universe now?  If nothing else you could just blast them all off into Earth-9328 or whatever and have the earth GL be the only one, but now his ring uses a different battery. I think Green Lantern is a fascinating concept character, but has almost never had good execution.  And usually way too much power.

27 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I think Green Lantern is a fascinating concept character, but has almost never had good execution.  And usually way too much power.

With that I can agree. I love the Green Lantern Corps. The idea of a small army of super beings chosen to bear one of the most powerful and versatile artifacts in existence, and charged with protecting the entire universe, is compelling to me. It opened the DC world into a whole cosmos of potential adventure. The diversity of sapient beings in the Corps, all united by dedication to an ideal, is IMO inspiring.

I do have to disagree with some other objections raised here about the Corps. A Green Lantern is not "just a beat cop among beat cops," any more than a Knight of the Round Table was just one of a bunch of armored fighters. A Green Lantern is an exceptional being carefully chosen for a tremendous responsibility. And I remember multiple eras since the Silver Age when Green Lantern and the Corps were very popular.

As you say, it comes down to execution. Overpowering is a chronic issue with DC. Every time there was a reboot to try to bring their characters down to a reasonable level, writers came along who wanted to move planets or rewrite time or cross the entire universe. In the case of Green Lantern, IMO it was a mistake to introduce continuing multiple GLs based on Earth, and to keep dragging the whole Corps into so many events focused there. It diluted what was special about the Lantern from Earth, and diminished the epic impact of the Corps. Again IMO, the GLC works best when individual Lanterns are looking after their own sectors, and the larger Corps only becomes involved in the most epic of star-spanning events.

8 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

A Green Lantern is not "just a beat cop among beat cops," any more than a Knight of the Round Table was just one of a bunch of armored fighters. A Green Lantern is an exceptional being carefully chosen for a tremendous responsibility.

Mmmmm....kinda. 

There were only a few Knights of the round table, but there are a bazillion Green Lanterns.  Heck, even if they had decided on a thousand GL's, but they have bazillions.

But of course that is just an opinion.  If everyone liked only what I liked, it would be a boring world :winkgrin: 

I could live with the corps if they were just background and origin of the character, with very rare occasional team ups or special galactic events.  Although, every time there's a huge galactic event the corps seems to be AWOL.

Oh, and better alien design. Most of the Corps looks like something a 5 year old drew with crayons.

Or the Darkstars.

3 hours ago, Spence said:

Mmmmm....kinda. 

There were only a few Knights of the round table, but there are a bazillion Green Lanterns.  Heck, even if they had decided on a thousand GL's, but they have bazillions.

But of course that is just an opinion.  If everyone liked only what I liked, it would be a boring world :winkgrin: 

Did they change the number from 3,600? Originally each Lantern's "sector" was supposed to comprise one tenth of one degree radiating from Oa, the center of the universe.

But if it is bazillions, that would be a lot more practical for guarding the whole universe.

3 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I could live with the corps if they were just background and origin of the character, with very rare occasional team ups or special galactic events.  Although, every time there's a huge galactic event the corps seems to be AWOL.

Oh, and better alien design. Most of the Corps looks like something a 5 year old drew with crayons.

It's like we've been saying. It's not the concept that's the problem, it's the execution.

I kind of liked the Spectrum of Lanterns idea myself. It was cool when they deputized various DC heroes during Blackest Night. I get the criticisms, but it was fun reading...at least early on. DC's multiple reboots are what drove me away. DC in many respects was offering better writing for a while, but the constant reboots simply undermined everything. Marvel just completely lost track of why continuity and good writing are positives.

My problem with reboots is that if you are going to reboot, reboot. Too many writers came in after a reboot and wanted iconic stories to have happened that don't fit if you have a reboot. Like Barb being paralyzed, becoming Oracle. When you reboot to young Barb starting in college at 17 or something and being Batgirl, then it doesn't work if she was Oracle also, but Writers came in and wanted to write stories referring to when she was.

48 minutes ago, Dr. MID-Nite said:

DC's multiple reboots are what drove me away.

Rebooting seems to be their core creative ethos. It has kept their movie "franchises" from ever acquiring coherence and long-term marketplace traction.

DC seems to swing between idiot extremes.  They had a disaster of a universe with 87 alternate dimensional versions of characters nobody could keep track of and the continuity was nonexistent.  So they did Crisis (which was excellent and a good idea) to fix it, but didn't like the fix, started bringing back the alternate universes, did another reboot, and another, and another, and another...

The Summer Big Event is the problem here.  Both major companies are fixated on this concept of the Big Yearly Event to bring in more sales, and that drives most of the really bad decisions made.

4 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

DC seems to swing between idiot extremes. 

But to be fair.  Those idiot extremes are helped along by a tiny but disproportionately over represented idiot fans.  You know the ones that insist that characters like Venom (I know not DC) are great heroes.  Well they only eat bad guys so yep, hero:think:

The problem with relying on social media to get a feel about whether your comic is good, is many of the social media types don't actually contribute anything tangible. 

I remember reading about 5 issues of the original Power Pack way back.  But we deployed and by the time we returned and I read comics again, things had nosedived so badly I never really bought any comics again.  I don't really remember the year.  But it has been a while.