Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

Defenders was a huge disappointment, largely because of effects budgets being so low, but also because the story was so disappointingly meh and empty.  And having those people together could have been more interesting than it was handled but honestly it was kind of a dull group.

Plus, the fixation with everyone but Daredevil wearing civvies all the time made them seem... less than heroic, not particularly interesting characters.  Just, some guy finished mowing his lawn and went to fight nebulous uncertain probably criminals, but who can say?

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The mark of a good director is an unshakable certainty of their own moral superiority, plus no knowledge of and utter contempt for the source material"

"If it really sucks we'll call it a satire"

Follywoods go to criteria for adapting material to movies since the 1980's

Finished Falcon/Winter Soldier - I give it a B+.  I thought it was very well done with a powerful ending.  I applaud the fact that with WandaVision and now F/WS, Marvel has tried some new things.  F/WS had a very strong socio-political tone with a lot less humor than usual and it really worked for me.

WandaVision - I give it a C.  Again, I applaud the fact that Marvel really tried something out of the box with the first half of the series.

Negatives:  Trying something new required plodding through 2 hours of completely unfunny oddball sitcoms while the background plot moved at a snail's pace.  In general, I feel that if you weren't already a fan of Marvel and these characters, then the average viewer would not have made it to Ep 4.

Positives:  Darcy Lewis actually became a likeable character; the 2nd half of the series was enjoyable and got me looking forward to seeing how Wanda's story progresses; 

Spoiler

Loved what they did with Vision.  Reviving him as the White Vision was the best part of the series.  He is truly a unique Marvel character and I was sad when he was destroyed and we wouldn't get to see more of his story.

On 4/25/2021 at 9:19 PM, Christopher R Taylor said:

He could easily have built an AI suit and put his brain waves in it or some nonsense, just do voiceovers.  You know, now that they've decided Tony Stark is Reed Richards cubed or something

This is the exact origin of MainFrame from an alternate Universe Avengers that was published for a while in the 90s.  MainFrame was basically a Black and Gold Iron Man who was full robot with Stark's memories instead of power armor.  Part of his shtick was that he had dozens of spare robot bodies stored somewhere and would just keep showing up like nothing had happened when bad guys kept ripping his head off.

IIRC, they called themselves AvengersNext, and included a flannel wearing "son of Juggernaut", Younger/Hipper Thor AKA Thunderstrike, and Wolverine's Son.
They lived in the same universe as, and teamed up with the May Parker Spiderwoman a few times.

Part of his shtick was that he had dozens of spare robot bodies stored somewhere and would just keep showing up like nothing had happened when bad guys kept ripping his head off.

So like NoMan from T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents, then.

Phase 4 doesn't fill me with excitement or even interest, I wonder if I am just getting burnt out on comic book movies or its just the characters are like the 4th string meh because they burnt up all their good franchises?

57 minutes ago, Jhamin said:

This is the exact origin of MainFrame from an alternate Universe Avengers that was published for a while in the 90s.  MainFrame was basically a Black and Gold Iron Man who was full robot with Stark's memories instead of power armor.  Part of his shtick was that he had dozens of spare robot bodies stored somewhere and would just keep showing up like nothing had happened when bad guys kept ripping his head off.

IIRC, they called themselves AvengersNext, and included a flannel wearing "son of Juggernaut", Younger/Hipper Thor AKA Thunderstrike, and Wolverine's Son.
They lived in the same universe as, and teamed up with the May Parker Spiderwoman a few times.

Thunderstrike was the original Thunderstrike's son. Thunderstrike was a replacement Thor for a while who had his own title when Thor came back. They also had Cassie Lang as Stinger testing one of the Ant Man suits. They picked up copies of the four replacement Avengers (Cap, Hawkeye, Wanda, and Quicksilver) and then Kate Power and THena, Daughter of Thor

CES     

5 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

So like NoMan from T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents, then.

Phase 4 doesn't fill me with excitement or even interest, I wonder if I am just getting burnt out on comic book movies or its just the characters are like the 4th string meh because they burnt up all their good franchises?

What are you talking about? The best heroes are going to be back with the Guardians and Ant-man/Wasp. I wonder how they are going to do a new Black Panther Movie without Chadwick Bozeman, but the trailer says it's still there. And who doesn't love Shang Chi. kung fu, and pushing old people down steps

CES