Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Spence said:

So many great Marvel characters are being left to obscurity just so they can swap everything.  Now that they are openly proud of being discriminatory, I expect we only have a couple more years of cringe worthy movies and TV before the MCU ends. 

Well, that is a theory.

However, based upon what we know as opposed to what we fear, I don't think that theory is well supported.  Long time Marvel character and Cap partner, Sam Wilson has been promoted to Captain America in a story that feels organic to the MCU.  Spectrum has been introduced to the MCU and appears set to become a member of Avengers 2.0.  Fan favorite character Kamala Khan is getting her own Disney+ show, and while she has the name Ms Marvel, she is definitely her own character.  America Chavez is set to appear in Dr Strange 2, and whatever else you might say about her, she is an original character that is not a swapped version of anyone else.  Black Panther had a movie and it was huge.  Shang Chi has a movie coming out in September.  Isiah Bradley has been introduced in the MCU.  

IOW, Marvel has continued to take existing great minority characters and introduce them to the MCU rather than leaving them to languish in obscurity or simply race swap white characters. 

I assume Spectrum is going to go by "Marvel" at least initially. I mean the movie is called The Marvels, plural.

I find it hard to believe that, by this point in the media juggernaut that is the MCU*, there are many Marvel characters still being left to obscurity. I mean, they dragged out the Guardians of the Galaxy and the Eternals. Yeah, it'll be a long time til we see the Great Lakes Avengers (no loss), but I can't think of many characters who are important to the comics-verse who are missing from the MCU, except in the cases where IP prevents/prevented til recently them from appearing. 

Off the top of my head I can name Hercules, Tigra, and Wonderman as (so far) being absent. Alphaflight are still unused, although I'm not sure if they were ever important to the Marvel comics-verse. Spiderwoman (like Alphaflight, not sure if she's important in the comics-verse) is missing, but maybe she's included under the Spiderman IP? I dunno. From the more modern comics there's Hulkling and Wiccan... but they're mutants (and thus have been counted out until recently) aren't they? I assume the Champions are already under consideration (at least) since Kamala Khan is already happening.

*and the various TV branches that are not technically cinematic universe.

1) Namor is rumoured to to cast already, Mexican Tenoch Huerta.
2) Titania is rumoured to be played by Jameela Jamil, who will be in She-Hulk.

3) And Kang the Conquerer is reportedly played by Jonathan Majors.  

I presume The Marvels will exclude Mar-Vell (gender-swapped), is his children, Genis, and Phyla. 

And going back to my earlier post, Argentinian Marvel exec Victoria Alonso said that she believes that Marvel's audience is global, and as such they should appeal to as much of that global audience as possible, thus representation means diversity & inclusion. Eg South Korean actor Park Seo-joon reportedly has a role in The Marvels, basically to appeal to that country. For me, it is the manner Marvel's execution that I question their choices. 

Spider-Woman is indeed part of Sony's Spider-Man IP. Recent rumors indicate Olivia Wilde is developing a Spider-Woman movie for Sony.

Marvel's diversity campaign is only a little more than half-hearted, IMO. I think SJWs would be shocked (and probably appalled) by what they'd hear if they attended production meetings between Marvel and Disney execs.

Spider-Woman has never worked, I hope they can find a way to tell the story that actually makes the character interesting and unique.

Marvel's diversity campaign is only a little more than half-hearted, IMO.

I dunno they've leaned on it pretty hard in their last three TV shows.  And the entire marketing campaign for Black Panther and Captain Marvel.  Like this or you're a bigot!!!!

I am comfortable with saying that I only watched the movies I wanted to watch (GOTG, GOTG2, Ant Man, Ant Man and the Wasp, Endgame, I wanted to see Dr Strange but I didn't get to, and I haven't got a copy of the DVD yet) because that was what I wanted to watch and I didn't watch anything else because I didn't care about those characters.

I always liked DC better but the recent movies have not spoken to me, so I have avoided them too.

CES

2 minutes ago, csyphrett said:

I am comfortable with saying that I only watched the movies I wanted to watch (GOTG, GOTG2, Ant Man, Ant Man and the Wasp, Endgame, I wanted to see Dr Strange but I didn't get to, and I haven't got a copy of the DVD yet) because that was what I wanted to watch and I didn't watch anything else because I didn't care about those characters.

I always liked DC better but the recent movies have not spoken to me, so I have avoided them too.

CES

I highly recommend Dr Strange

4 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I dunno they've leaned on it pretty hard in their last three TV shows.  And the entire marketing campaign for Black Panther and Captain Marvel.

The TV shows aren't as big of a financial risk (as blockbuster movies), and the first three all lean more heavily into the currency of being known and accepted franchises than they do into their wokeness. Throwing in a bit of diversity here and there costs them nothing. However, you can expect the budget of a show like Ms. Marvel to be smaller than the others because of the higher risk it entails. And if it doesn't pull its weight in terms of bringing in subscribers to Disney+, don't expect to see a second season. Subscriber numbers are far more important to Feige's corporate overlords than how many brownie points a show scores with SJWs.

Black Panther and Captain Marvel were risks, roughly on par with giving Guardians of the Galaxy a try, and they went into production despite their wokeness, not because of it. They were expected to deliver on other more important strategic goals (i.e., as final pieces of the Phase 3/Infinity War puzzle and, in the case of Capt. Marvel, as setup for Secret Invasion). Had Black Panther not done as well as it did at the box office, we wouldn't be talking about its sequel today since its most important function had already been served by the time of Endgame. Disney is willing to play the PR game of appealing to the social agenda of the moment, but only so long as it doesn't interfere with their larger financial considerations.

I viewed Black Panther as less of a risk just because he's a great character with a really interesting and long backstory.  Guardians of the Galaxy, definitely that was a real risk and amazing of them to try.

And I second the recommendation of Dr Strange, although without Bandersnatch Cummerbund it probably wouldn't be as enjoyable.

Subscriber numbers are far more important to Feige's corporate overlords than how many brownie points a show scores with SJWs.

I'd like to think so, but we're in a era where offending half your customer base and playing for "virtue" points seems to matter more to corporations than earnings.

47 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I viewed Black Panther as less of a risk just because he's a great character with a really interesting and long backstory.  Guardians of the Galaxy, definitely that was a real risk and amazing of them to try.

And I second the recommendation of Dr Strange, although without Bandersnatch Cummerbund it probably wouldn't be as enjoyable.

I'd like to think so, but we're in a era where offending half your customer base and playing for "virtue" points seems to matter more to corporations than earnings.

Disney is very much into making money, and the current crop of shows on Disney+ have brought in 104 million subscribers worldwide. Add in another 40 million subscribers for Hulu, where Disney tends to put their more adult fare.

13 hours ago, Bazza said:

1) Namor is rumoured to to cast already, Mexican Tenoch Huerta.

He better start taking his steroids now. Doesn't have close to the build for the part. Or the height, but LOTR movies shows you can work around that one.

2) Titania is rumoured to be played by Jameela Jamil, who will be in She-Hulk.

This should be awesome. I think she'd be a great foil for a Tatiana Maslany She-Hulk. Anyone who hasn't seen The Good Place (Jamil) and Orphan Black (Maslany), should go see them right now.

3) And Kang the Conquerer is reportedly played by Jonathan Majors.  

Just finished Lovecraft Country recently. I think this is a solid pick for Kang.