Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

14 hours ago, Dr.Device said:

Where does Ant-Man and The Wasp fit into this theory? It also fell between Infinity War and Endgame, but made on modestly more than Ant-Man

Ant-Man and The Wasp was released nearly a year (10 months) before Endgame, whereas Captain Marvel was released only one month before Endgame. By the time Captain Marvel came out, most people had largely forgotten all about Ant-Man and the Wasp, and many friends I spoke with told me they had to be reminded what it was from that movie that led Scott to drive up to the Avengers compound in the first act of Endgame. The hype machine was running on all cylinders in the Spring of 2019 and Captain Marvel was the appetizer that was fed to a ravenous fandom who hadn't seen an MCU movie in nine months and were frothing at the mouth for Endgame and anything/everything connected to it. And nothing appeared as connected to Endgame as the movie that came out only a few weeks before it.

I stand by my assessment that had Captain Marvel been released in Ant-Man and Wasp's slot in 2018, that it would have done box office business similar to it, and that the fact that it enjoyed massive (i.e., much larger than Ant-Man and the Wasp) success was due entirely to being placed right before Endgame.

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Plus the not-so-subtle Grrl power "you're a terrible person and bigot if you don't watch this movie" woke marketing that worked so well with Black Panther.

You would think that type of marketing would drive the box office down but both topped one billion USD despite the haters. The people who were looking to be offended were I guess but maybe making movies for women and black audiences is something that could catch on. 

42 minutes ago, zslane said:

Ant-Man and The Wasp was released nearly a year (10 months) before Endgame, whereas Captain Marvel was released only one month before Endgame. By the time Captain Marvel came out, most people had largely forgotten all about Ant-Man and the Wasp, and many friends I spoke with told me they had to be reminded what it was from that movie that led Scott to drive up to the Avengers compound in the first act of Endgame. The hype machine was running on all cylinders in the Spring of 2019 and Captain Marvel was the appetizer that was fed to a ravenous fandom who hadn't seen an MCU movie in nine months and were frothing at the mouth for Endgame and anything/everything connected to it. And nothing appeared as connected to Endgame as the movie that came out only a few weeks before it.

I stand by my assessment that had Captain Marvel been released in Ant-Man and Wasp's slot in 2018, that it would have done box office business similar to it, and that the fact that it enjoyed massive (i.e., much larger than Ant-Man and the Wasp) success was due entirely to being placed right before Endgame.

Since we can't rerun the universe a little differently, we'll never know who's right. I just find the idea that it's position in the release schedule added half a billion dollars to it's box-office take to be ridiculous on its face.

7 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Plus the not-so-subtle Grrl power "you're a terrible person and bigot if you don't watch this movie" woke marketing that worked so well with Black Panther.  Both to shame people into going to see them and to get zealots to claim they were the best thing ever.

Wow. That's utterly ridiculous. Marvel's marketing team guilted the world into making Black Panther the number four top grossing movie of all time? Seriously? I'd love to see examples of this '"you're a terrible person and bigot if you don't watch this movie" woke marketing.'  Or is this like the horrible things Larson and Johansson said about men that we're just supposed to assume really happened, without evidence given? 

Further, I'd love to hear why, if that kind of marketing happened, and was so effective, Marvel didn't do the same with Black Widow.

It seems like the idea that there was an audience that had been clamoring for movies like these and came out in droves to see them is just unfathomable to y'all.

Black Panther was easily one of the best two movies in the MCU. Captain Marvel, not so much, but it was a solid superhero movie, and the first MCU movie with a female solo lead. 

The only movie I remember with you are bad guys if you don't watch this, is GB 2016. Critics loved it, but fans hated it, and it bombed. The same thing is going on with He Man right now. Kevin Smith is like you are all bad for hating my show even though I lied what it was about. Older fans and some new ones are like this show isnt what you promised and Teela is awful in every way. 

CES  

2 hours ago, csyphrett said:

The only movie I remember with you are bad guys if you don't watch this, is GB 2016. Critics loved it, but fans hated it, and it bombed. The same thing is going on with He Man right now. Kevin Smith is like you are all bad for hating my show even though I lied what it was about. Older fans and some new ones are like this show isnt what you promised and Teela is awful in every way. 

CES  

Oh puh-lease.  Everybody I've talked to who's actually watched the show says it's absolutely wonderful, the "fans" hating on it are just a minority of crybabies trying to make themselves appear more important then they are.  Just your standard wingnuts trying to "own da libs." 

2 hours ago, csyphrett said:

CES  

It's funny, because earlier today, a bunch of my friends on the Book of Face talking about Ghostbusters 2016, and how much they liked the movie, and several had plans to re-watch it soon. So some fans liked it.

As for Masters of the Universe Revelation, I wasn't going to watch it, but so many folks got themselves all worked up over it, that I decided to watch the first episode. I quickly watched the other available episodes, and am eagerly awaiting the second half of the first season.

I'm rapidly getting to the point where if the diehard fanboys hate a show or movie, it probably means that I'll enjoy watching it. 

13 minutes ago, Ternaugh said:

It's funny, because earlier today, a bunch of my friends on the Book of Face talking about Ghostbusters 2016, and how much they liked the movie, and several had plans to re-watch it soon. So some fans liked it.

As for Masters of the Universe Revelation, I wasn't going to watch it, but so many folks got themselves all worked up over it, that I decided to watch the first episode. I quickly watched the other available episodes, and am eagerly awaiting the second half of the first season.

I'm rapidly getting to the point where if the diehard fanboys hate a show or movie, it probably means that I'll enjoy watching it. 

Speaking as a diehard fan of this franchise, I have heard nothing about this particular show that makes me the least bit upset.  Teela's always gotten focus in Masters of the Universe so it's no surprise she's getting focus in this show as well.  Would I have liked a continuation of the story from the reboot leading to the Ultimate Battleground and He-Man and She-ra having to deal with Skeletor, the Snake Men AND Hordak? Well sure but Smith only has ten episodes, not nearly enough time to tell a story that epic.  From the sounds of things though Masters of the Universe Revelations is a story that's just as epic.

3 hours ago, Dr.Device said:

Since we can't rerun the universe a little differently, we'll never know who's right. I just find the idea that it's position in the release schedule added half a billion dollars to it's box-office take to be ridiculous on its face.

It's a shame we can't rerun the universe because the debate every two weeks is tiresome. ;) 

We know that position in the release schedule of movies is very important to it's box office take. There's jockeying back and forth between studios over release dates because it's an important factor.

Taking out the identity of the Captain Marvel movie and saying "this generic movie is the must-see Marvel movie which will set up Endgame in a couple of months and be the payoff for 8-10 years of watching Marvel movies"...

Personally I could see that scheduling making hundreds of millions of dollars of difference in box office. Whether it's a half a billion or not, I'm not a studio insider to have their estimations of the impact of the scheduling. I doubt that it's that much but I wouldn't be shocked if THEY thought it was close.

I'm sure some number of the people who saw Captain Marvel multiple times in the theater primarily wanted to make sure they didn't miss anything which might be relevant in Endgame. That's just the nature of fandom.

But some number went because they thought the movie was kickass. And that Captain Marvel was kickass. And that Nick Fury finally got a lead in a movie. And, and, and.... :D 

6 minutes ago, death tribble said:

I saw Ghostbusters 2016 and it was not that good. I do not hate it. The only film I have close to walking out on is Hook. Now that was drivel and deserves the hate. 

Ghostbusters 2016 really needed a strong editor, as some of the comic bits just go on too long, without a good payoff. Other scenes in the theatrical release were unexpectedly cut at awkward points (though they are restored in the extended edition).

We saw Hook in the theater when it came out, and it felt very much like Spielberg had inserted Robin Williams into The Goonies, but without the warmth of that film.

5 hours ago, archer said:

But some number went because they thought the movie was kickass.

Oh, I'm sure you're right about that, and while I quite enjoyed the movie myself, I certainly didn't expect it to get into the billion-dollar club. But let's look at some numbers. Ant-Man and the Wasp had RT scores of 87%/75%, while Captain Marvel had RT scores of 79%/45%. Ant-Man and the Wasp outperformed Captain Marvel on RT (that 30% differential in audience score is painful) but brought in only half its box office. Thor: Ragnarok had vastly superior RT scores and yet fell short of Captain Marvel's box office results. I know that RT is kinda broken, but it isn't so deeply flawed that its numbers don't have something meaningful to say here. If Captain Marvel hadn't hitched a ride on the Endgame hype train, it is profoundly unlikely that its 79%/45% numbers would have resulted in a $1B box office total. Hell, given its RT score, I'm not sure it would even have done as well as Ant-Man and the Wasp if given its slot on the release schedule.

11 hours ago, Twilight said:

Oh puh-lease.  Everybody I've talked to who's actually watched the show says it's absolutely wonderful, the "fans" hating on it are just a minority of crybabies trying to make themselves appear more important then they are.  Just your standard wingnuts trying to "own da libs." 

So far I like the He-man: Revelations. Binged it even. But I’ll try not try to take offense to the wing nut “own da libs” comment. 

8 hours ago, Bazza said:

Masters of the Universe Revelation is very modern but lacks the heart of the He-Man & She-Ra series from the 80s, or the series from 2002. 

And can further comment be directed to a new thread, please? 

Yes, the "heart" of the half hour toy commercial.  I mean don't get me wrong, I liked the original shows and all but Filmation made them on the cheap.  They weren't some labor of love, Filmation was cashing in on something that was hot at the time.  The reboot shows for both franchises blew them out of the water with ease.

7 hours ago, mattingly said:

A good friend of mine, Ryan Kemp, was (posthumously) thanked in the credits for being such a fan.

image-asset.jpeg

Ryan Kemp is acknowledged by Ghostbusters 2016, which is the WORST MOVIE EVER, so he must be terrible.

Mattingly is Kemp's buddy, so he must be terrible.

Mattingly hangs out on the Hero Boards, and so do I, so I must be terrible. Wait, that can't be right.  Man, this unhinged ranting is harder than it looks!

I saw GB 2016 on cable, so I did not want my money back. But I did not like it at all. Not even one joke landed (for me) and without humor, the rest of the picture could not carry. If you liked it, good on you, but most did not. I am hopeful the newest GB will be good, though the first few teasers did not look good. The last one looked watchable at least.

I am seeing a real fire storm about the new MOTU on the webs, but I was never a fan, so I have no impulse to ever watch. People who have seen it seem divided on how good it is...so far.

It had a four on IMBD 250 reviews liked it, gave it a 10 out of ten. A thousand didn't. Most of the reviews I saw were who is this show for because it sucks

CES

22 hours ago, Twilight said:

Yes, the "heart" of the half hour toy commercial.  I mean don't get me wrong, I liked the original shows and all but Filmation made them on the cheap.  They weren't some labor of love, Filmation was cashing in on something that was hot at the time.  The reboot shows for both franchises blew them out of the water with ease.

What do you think this is about? They are already trying to sell toys off of this.

CES

1 hour ago, csyphrett said:

It had a four on IMBD 250 reviews liked it, gave it a 10 out of ten. A thousand didn't. Most of the reviews I saw were who is this show for because it sucks

CES

What do you think this is about? They are already trying to sell toys off of this.

CES

I'd imagine Kevin Smith signed on because he actually wanted to work on He-Man stuff.  He certainly seems to be putting more thought into plot and characters then Filmation ever did.

44 minutes ago, Twilight said:

I'd imagine Kevin Smith signed on because he actually wanted to work on He-Man stuff.  He certainly seems to be putting more thought into plot and characters then Filmation ever did.

That's fine but there is going to be another show by another studio next year. And right now fans are going what is this? I can't even let my kids look at this.

CES 

2 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Its tough for me to get worked up about He-Man because it sucked so bad.  You can't really butcher something that crappy and hamfisted to begin with, its not like we're talking about a beloved classic here.

I’m not one but there are thousand of fans who feel it’s a beloved classic.  Eye of the beholder.

Personally, for He-Man, I didn’t care for the animation style. Too angular for me if that makes sense.