Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

8 minutes ago, Dr.Device said:

I don't think I can explain why comparing conservatives in the modern USA to Jews right before the holocaust to you is offensive if you don't see it. Especially considering it was done at a time when Republicans held two of the three branches of federal government, and hold a majority of state governments. And that is disregarding her transphobia. If you want to discuss this further, please take it to the politics thread, since it's not really on topic for this thread.

Oh, I see...you've discussing it repeatedly, but Others need to take it elsewhere?

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simu Liu is getting prickly with Bob Chapek now, interpreting his statement about the "experimental" (from Disney's business point of view) 45-day theatrical window for Shang Chi as some kind of anti-Asian slur. Looks like ScarJo has a lot of people all riled up and ready to throw down. And it seems like anything Disney execs say right now will be seen as "fightin' words".

With so much at stake I don't expect to see the temperature get lowered on this any time soon. Feige does seem to be kinda caught in the middle in all this, and since he supposedly represents the "old Hollywood elite" you have to wonder how his stable of MCU actors feel about him and his role within the company and his place in its power hierarchy.

Under Iger's regime, Feige had almost sole discretion over Marvel Studios. He was middle-management only in the sense that he did not have oversight over all of film production (that was Alan Horn), nor over the entire Disney Empire (that was Iger). But when it came to Marvel Studios, for better or for worse, the buck stopped at Kevin Feige. He is "old guard" in the same sense that Bob Iger was, having benefitted greatly from Iger's philosophy of how to run the business.

I don't think Bob Chapek is under any illusions as to what camp Feige is in. But there's a bit of a stand-off here since Chapek has all the power on paper, while Feige has a lot of power on the ground. It remains to be seen how this will all pan out. I just hope that this civil war within Disney doesn't ruin Marvel Studios, or the progress made for Star Wars by Favreau and Filoni, in the process.

5 hours ago, pinecone said:

Oh, I see...you've discussing it repeatedly, but Others need to take it elsewhere?

She is saying that she can't discuss it in the insane amount of detail you're demanding without taking the discussion to the political forum.

(My choice of the word "insane" was not a choice which was made lightly.)

3 minutes ago, archer said:

She is saying that she can't discuss it in the insane amount of detail you're demanding without taking the discussion to the political forum.

(My choice of the word "insane" was not a choice which was made lightly.)

I guess your standards of discourse, and sanity are differing from mine.

Meh, Carano's a bit dumb and caught up in the current group think climate, but doesn't seem hateful.

I can see people getting offended by the beep/bop/boop remark, because people misusing pronouns can be very upsetting, and plenty of people do it on purpose, just to be hurtful little shites. She did post later that Pedro Pascal (who has a trans sister) explained the issue to her, and that she hadn't understood it. So, I think this is more just annoyance at the trend than malice. I can also understand folks not willing to give her that benefit of the doubt.

The Nazi analogy was way off base and hyperbolic, but still just a dumb person repeating crap her party is spewing out all the time.

At the end of the day, she was warned, multiple times, and was stupid and stubborn enough to bring her politics to work (and being a celebrity, her employer has a reasonable concern about what she puts out on her social media), and got canned. They didn't just fire her over one thing, she was warned multiple times.

Also, based on acting ability, not a huge loss to the series. I'll miss Baby Yoda more.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the zone between two unrelated posts that the forum wants to perversely mash together.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 minutes ago, Bazza said:

For me, the second episode of What If was more enjoyable than the first episode. 

What was the premise?

2 hours ago, archer said:

Geez, I checked six hours ago and the episode wasn't up yet. They're intentionally scheduling things so that I never get any sleep! :D 

Yes it is intentional. It likely released shortly after you checked. Boseman gives an inspiring performance as Star-Lord, the galactic hero. 

————————————NO SPOILERS——————————

“What If....T’Challa became Starlord?

Well....This does confirm a long held belief of mine.   Peter Quill is a moron.  He couldn’t pour pi$$ out of a boot if the instructions were printed on the sole. The episode does however show what a clever character can do when played smartly. (All players & GM’s should take notes.)

Once more, the episode was well thought and well written with many (if not most) of the primary characters played by the original actors including the final performance of Chadwick Bozeman who did himself proud on a project many actors would have phoned in.

A very fine outing and like the last one while it could have benefited from expansion to a one hour format left me wanting to see more of this world.