Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

7 hours ago, zslane said:

The core argument in her lawsuit is that Disney sabotaged her payout by not releasing it exclusively in theaters. It will be pretty trivial for Disney to show that Black Widow earned more by being released day-and-date with PVOD than Shang Chi did being released only in theaters, especially if you subtract Chinese box office results in order to make the comparison apples-to-apples.

Shang Chi hasn't been released in China so the comparison is apt.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arbitration is pretty standard for these sorts of things, so Disney isn't doing anything unusual by seeking that route. It isn't some strategy to subvert a judgment against them. To the contrary, it is ScarJo who wants this to play out in public because her management knows that they really don't have a case and that they can only win in the court of public opinion. As for the claim that Disney had no right to release the film as they did, well, Disney will most likely get that swept aside by invoking the force majeure clause. I know it is difficult to accept, but ScarJo is not the poor, mistreated victim that her management and legal team would like everyone to believe. She is merely trying to use this lawsuit as a crowbar to pry open the financials on streaming subscription revenue so that the guilds have a stronger position in upcoming union contract negotiations.

I have heard Good things about Shang Chi, particularly the fight scenes (although everyone seems to agree the main actor is not especially charismatic or interesting).  Its struggling though, the film is said to have cost $150 million to make (plus 50-100 million in publicity and distribution; the rule of thumb is equal to production costs, but I don't think they pushed this movie as much) and its only recently exceeded 150 mil.

It was a bit of a gamble on Marvel's part to release in theaters exclusively, but right now everyone is experimenting.  It started pretty well with a 75 million opening day, but has tailed off steadily, sometimes significantly, ever since then.  As I noted earlier it was a bit of a gamble to release a martial arts movie, because those are pretty common, but its doing well for a martial arts film.  The main complaint seems to be that the ending CGI fest is both not up to previous Marvel film par, and the weakest part of the movie.

It appears to be setting up possibly a Galactus storyline, maybe?  There seems to be a Kang tie-in as well with Mandarin.  And, unfortunately, Ben Kinglsey's wretched faux Mandarin shows up in it and is not murdered horrifically.

23 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

It appears to be setting up possibly a Galactus storyline, maybe?

It seems more likely to me that The Eternals is setting up a Galactus storyline. Current theories are that it is Galactus who is being awakened by "the Emergence" event that the reverse-blip set in motion (as described by Ajax in the latest trailer). If so, Galactus is being  re-imagined as a Celestial whom the other Celestials are returning to Earth to bring forth.

It seems more likely to me that The Eternals is setting up a Galactus storyline.

Probably leading into that.  A post-credits scene (I thought I read Marvel wasn't going to do any more of those?) seems to hint at it.

Spoiler

Supposedly the 10 rings are signalling to someone in outer space, according to holo-Bruce Banner who is now human and for some reason still wearing a cast, despite the Hulk's insanely fast regeneration rate.  This could be sending it to the Eternals, too

I am going to be very upset if they kill off Hawkeye to make room for his female replacement. 

Current box tallies looks to have Shang Chi making a small but reasonable profit: 

https://ombreviews.com/box-office-tracking/

257.6 million for the second week, and a projected final tally of 368 million b

23 hours ago, GM Joe said:

It's great that WandaVision won an Emmy, and the team definitely deserves its set design win, but it'd be nice if genre series and movies could win the headline awards for acting, directing, etc. regularly too.

Only "serious Dramas, with lots of impassioned Dialogue get those awards.  Martin Scorcese's declaration that Superhero films aren't "Cinema" applies here, as the Hollywood elites consider them just Money making pablum for the masses.

257.6 million for the second week, and a projected final tally of 368 million

If they can pull that off, its a slim profit, but some, at least.  But the tail off the first week doesn't look very promising.

Like all entertainment awards, the Emmys are trash, so who cares who wins or doesn't win what?  How many dozens of examples of incompetence, stupidity, or clear bias do you have to see to finally realize these awards are worthless?  Governor Gropey McGranparent Killer got an emmy for boring speeches on TV (then got it taken away).  Milli Vanilli got a Grammy for lipsynching while Jethro Tull got best metal act.  How many horrible or forgettable movies have gotten Oscars?

Those who receive them are not worthy of being recognized?

They're worthy of being recognized for their work and excellence, not for a crap award proven to be ridiculous and rigged with stupid decisions for decades.  Think of them as being like astrology: when they get something right, its a coincidence.

3 hours ago, Scott Ruggels said:

Only "serious Dramas, with lots of impassioned Dialogue get those awards.  Martin Scorcese's declaration that Superhero films aren't "Cinema" applies here, as the Hollywood elites consider them just Money making pablum for the masses.

Like that "Shakespeare" fellow a few hundred years back?