Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another review, this one is a bit spoiler-y, I learnt who is in the after credits scenes.

Variety: http://variety.com/2016/film/reviews/doctor-strange-review-marvel-studios-1201895862/

...that makes “Doctor Strange” Marvel’s most satisfying entry since “Spider-Man 2,” and a throwback to M. Night Shyamalan’s soul-searching identity-crisis epic “Unbreakable,” which remains the gold standard for thinking people’s superhero movies.

...lends the film a staggering visual effects innovation, in which the building-bending seen in Christopher Nolan’s “Inception” is taken to an extreme that would blow even M.C. Escher’s mind.

And for this contemplating Imax:

so big that Imax audiences will benefit from more than an hour of footage captured on the company’s large-format digital cameras

Dr Strange review

https://t.co/k2BAgdRrU7

I totally get "origin fatigue" and think it's past time for Hollywood to move past that particular model. But not with Dr Strange, who has one of the best (and least-known) origin stories in comics.

Given that in the comics we didn't get Strange's origin story until after his 4th issue, it would've been funny if they'd saved his origin story for a sequel. Of course then people would complain we don't know where he comes from...

Your posts remind me of this passage from the above interview:

Moviegoers don’t love origin stories anymore, but Strange’s world is so strange bizarre, there’s really no way to just have this guy show up with his interdimensional thought-beam weapons, and sling rings, and magic cloak (which, here, has a personality of its own) and not offer some sort of two-hour explanation. This movie is your two-hour explanation.

Sometimes the origin story is absolutely vital to understanding the character after his or her transformation into a superhero. I think Captain America is the best example of this. For me, seeing the kind of man Steve Rogers was prior to the super serum process was fundamental to embracing (as a viewer and a fan) his behavior as Captain America.

Now, I haven't seen the Dr. Strange movie yet (obviously), but I fully expect that understanding and accepting Stephen Strange as Sorcerer Supreme hinges on seeing what he was like before the accident, and watching his journey of self-discovery after it.

On the other hand, Jessica Jones didn't need to start with her origin story in order to be a riveting piece of character development. But maybe that is the advantage of having 13 near-hours (with obligatory flashbacks) to tell a story instead of just two.

Yeah, it's not so much that we need to see how they got their powers, but we do need to see who they were before they got them and how that changed them. Iron Man & Batman Begins pretty much cemented this. Even Jessica Jones & Luke Cage, we got to see via flashbacks. I just think the filmmakers need to come up with some different ways to show it rather than following the same(ish) Origin Story Format.

Well, The Incredible Hulk depicted his origin story in the opening credits sequence. I thought that was clever and refreshing.

Agreed. Tho in that case, they were able to build on residual cultural awareness of the TV show and co-opt that backstory. Personally I loved Jessica & Luke trading origins. "Accident. You?" "Experiment." Later episodes went back and filled in the blanks, but that's enough to be getting on with.

I think we're past the point where audiences need a detailed explanation for how they got their powers; superpowers are just something that people get. Similarly, part of making superhero movies "respectable" was highlighting the person underneath the mask and why they chose to put on a costume and fight crime. But by now we've seen that so many times, I think people are prepared to accept that with making an entire movie revolve around it.

Again don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to seeing Strange's origin. But I think *after* that, they should try and mix it up a little. Nobody needs to see another Peter Parker get bit by another damn spider.

Agreed. Tho in that case, they were able to build on residual cultural awareness of the TV show and co-opt that backstory. Personally I loved Jessica & Luke trading origins. "Accident. You?" "Experiment." Later episodes went back and filled in the blanks, but that's enough to be getting on with.

I suspect we will be getting more backstory to JJ and Luke in the Defenders series. Just a guess, but it appeared that JJ's accident actually led to an experiment on her by the same people who gave Luke his.