Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Bazza said:

I am doubtful of the content companies licensing their content to 3rd parties*. If their own vertical streaming services cease as a going concern, they would look to partner with each other. 

*a tech company like Apple may be an option. 

Actually, Apple is developing their own streaming service with exclusive content*, so they would also be one of those 3rd parties. 

*Which will reportedly be even more "family-friendly" than the announced Disney streaming service: https://gizmodo.com/apples-upcoming-streaming-service-is-reportedly-so-blan-1829249910

Yeah I think competition between a small number of streaming services is the ideal: keeps costs down, drives innovation, and prevents laziness and taking customers for granted.  There are two extremes which would both suck: one mega uber corporation that controls all entertainment (which we're honestly headed toward, every year or two there's another merger which nobody seems to care about), and a zillion independent companies with a tiny amount of proprietary content which all of which charge for their services.  Either way I think would be something I'd skip.  I really don't watch much television to start with, and while I like shows such as Forged in Fire, I'm hardly going to suffer if I don't see them.

This isn't 1975 where you have a few theaters in town and 4 TV channels to choose from.  We're flooded neck deep in entertainment choices.  That's why when a sport annoys customers with obnoxious or irrelevant behavior or strikes, they don't get BACK the people they drove away.  Turns out there's a lot of other stuff to do in that time slot on Monday evening.  NASCAR is hemmoraghing customers because of their poor quality product and straying so far away from what people enjoy, for example.  A lot of those people won't be back because there's a million other things to do instead.

Entertainment companies need to understand this.

4 hours ago, Bazza said:

Official: Tom Hiddleston to star in Marvel series for Disney+, confirmedby Disney CEO.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/its-official-disney-is-bringing-a-loki-tv-series-to-it-1830322223

17 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

...a Loki series?  Seriously?

I'm not sure how I feel about that. I suppose it depends on execution. But I'm worried for Tom Hiddleston's career. I know Loki is his defining role, extremely popular, and he's great at playing him; but Hiddleston has so much talent, at this point I'd rather see him diversify his roles than be so definitively typecast.

12 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

I'm not sure how I feel about that. I suppose it depends on execution. But I'm worried for Tom Hiddleston's career. I know Loki is his defining role, extremely popular, and he's great at playing him; but Hiddleston has so much talent, at this point I'd rather see him diversify his roles than be so definitively typecast.

I think they are probably thinking of something along the line of Lucifer for him. Letting him assume many roles using his illusions as disguises, thereby playing many roles and causing mischief for the good of a person. I mean, he is the reason there is an Avengers team to save the earth.

15 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

...a Loki series?  Seriously?

This isn't exactly news. I mean, it sort of is. It's been rumored for weeks that Disney is planning to spin off Loki and Scarlet Witch into their own tv series. It has merely become officially announced now. Well, the Loki series at any rate. I guess they scrapped the Scarlet Witch series idea?

Probably not. That will likely come later. Maybe. I think Disney's intent in officially announcing the Loki series was to show some Marvel content to begin with, as Marvel, along with Pixar and Star Wars are major brands of the new service. Loki is just the initial show. 

Disney's only announcing one Marvel show to take a low key approach. More series will be forthcoming, I'm sure of it. 

Marvel Exec: we need tentpole shows for our new streaming service, something that will get viewers.  Best idea gets a Cadillac.  Second best gets a set of steak knives.  You know how this works.  Go!

Marvel Drone 1: Uh, people like Star Wars right?

Marvel Exec: Didn't our research show that people feel that they're getting oversaturated with Star Wars?

Marvel Drone 1 (sweating): But... but this will be an all-new character nobody knows, its fresh and different!

Marvel Drone 2, fearing the steak knives: Wait, people love Loki, right?

Marvel Exec: My wife loves Tom Hiddleston 

Marvel Drone 2: Who doesn't??  We do a Loki series!

Marvel Drone 1: I need a new Cadillac!  I mean... the last money-making Star Wars film was that war movie thing right?  That's where we'll set this Star Wars movie featuring uh (quickly checking Star Wars name generator on his Iphone) Cassian Andor! 

Marvel Drone 2: The Loki Series will star Tom Hiddleston!

etc

5 hours ago, zslane said:

This isn't exactly news. I mean, it sort of is. It's been rumored for weeks that Disney is planning to spin off Loki and Scarlet Witch into their own tv series. It has merely become officially announced now. Well, the Loki series at any rate. I guess they scrapped the Scarlet Witch series idea?

I think the Scarlet Witch series has more upside for storytelling. In the MCU, she seems mainly to be a telekinetic and a minor character regardless of the fact that she shows up in major movies.

But in a series, they could explore her grief over her brother's death, figuring out her powers to make them more similar to the comics, getting training in actual mysticism, actually getting a superhero name which people use rather than just being "Wanda".

Agents of SHIELD Is More Popular Than Any Marvel Netflix Show

https://screenrant.com/agents-shield-marvel-netflix-tv-shows-more-popular/

"They rank Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. in the top 0.03 percent of in-demand TV shows worldwide, a category Parrot classify as "Amazing." To give a sense of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s popularity, in the US shows with similar demand include Better Call SaulCriminal Minds, and Vikings; demand for S.H.I.E.L.D. is higher than the likes of The OriginalsSupergirlArrow, and Fear The Walking Dead. "

20 minutes ago, archer said:

I think the Scarlet Witch series has more upside for storytelling. In the MCU, she seems mainly to be a telekinetic and a minor character regardless of the fact that she shows up in major movies.

But in a series, they could explore her grief over her brother's death, figuring out her powers to make them more similar to the comics, getting training in actual mysticism, actually getting a superhero name which people use rather than just being "Wanda".

Current rumours suggest it is a romance with Vison being a major character. 

1 minute ago, Bazza said:

Current rumours suggest it is a romance with Vison being a major character. 

I wouldn't really mind the Vision being a major part of it. But even the toned-down MCU version of the Vision is going to vastly overpower almost everyone the couple are likely to meet.

I think a solo series for the Scarlet Witch would work better with her being more "I'm out on my own learning on the down-low but keep falling into these situations" and I just don't see how you could fit a large red android into a low visibility life on a weekly series.

They've pretty much set up that "the public hates Wanda plus she's on the run from almost every government in the world". Even if they handwave away the government problems, she'd have problems with normal people. And she can't stay in secluded in Avenger's HQ without there being some explanation of why Avengers aren't there.

• 2 weeks later...