Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It feels like another case of Hollywood coming up with what they think is a clever way to do a "superhero" show without making it look or feel like a superhero show. They'll throw in a few X-Men references and call it an adaptation of the comic. Feh.

I don't mind too much trying something different, I mean its not like comic books and especially superhero stories don't run a huge gamut of different genre types.  The Demon Bear story line was pretty much a horror story, a psychological thriller.  Its just an odd story to start with.  I mean, they have to intro all the characters and make us care about them and I'm not confident in their ability to do so in the time limit.

They really should do the New Mutants as a class of students being gathered by Xavier, then the class having some kind of adventure (yawn another mutant hate story?  Please no, enough thinly veiled allegories.  Something more interesting like helping out a student Xavier wants to add to the school but is having troubles/powers out control/parents are villains, etc)

27 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

They really should do the New Mutants as a class of students

Or maybe just bring the actual original story as told in the original first few comics....

Who knows, maybe people will actually want to see a show if it actually follows what made people like it in the first place....

Playing with genre generally works in the comics because they already have all the superhero tropes well established before they start straying into other genres. This movie, on the other hand, is a horror film through and through, using horror tropes rather than superhero tropes to tell its story. This won't feel like experimentation within the "home genre" (of superheroes), it will just feel like a horror movie involving people with strange abilities.

Given the number of children with powers stories people are attempting at the moment, I am more than happy to see someone try something different. 

If they obviously place the students at Xavier's school it will be just another X-Men movie and I stopped watching them a while ago. Ymmv. 

The wife and I watched the first episode last weekend on her parent's Hulu. We thought it was good enough to get a month of Hulu later to finish watching the season. The first episode is basically a mini Breakfast Club-esque (not really) introduction to the characters, followed by the big reveal teased in the trailers. They leave it on that note with you wanting more.

1 hour ago, Pattern Ghost said:

The wife and I watched the first episode last weekend on her parent's Hulu. We thought it was good enough to get a month of Hulu later to finish watching the season. The first episode is basically a mini Breakfast Club-esque (not really) introduction to the characters, followed by the big reveal teased in the trailers. They leave it on that note with you wanting more.

Just wait until you watch the second episode... ( *evil grin* )

12 hours ago, Bazza said:

In other words, subverting the genre, doing something new/different/unexpected. 

Logan itself wasn't a superhero film as much, as an atypical western / road movie whose main characters have strange abilities. 

I don't believe Logan would have resonated with anyone--or seemed like something new/different/unexpected--had the character not already been well established from numerous superhero movies (which themselves followed the canonical superhero tropes). If Logan had come out before any of the X-Men movies, it wouldn't have had anything to be different from. From what I can tell, the New Mutants movie does not connect itself with any X-Men continuity, so it's not like it can be compared to any of the X-Men movies, or any superhero movie for that matter. It is simply a horror movie involving kids with strange abilities (oh, and the word "mutant" thrown in every once in a while).

13 hours ago, zslane said:

I don't believe Logan would have resonated with anyone--or seemed like something new/different/unexpected--had the character not already been well established from numerous superhero movies (which themselves followed the canonical superhero tropes). If Logan had come out before any of the X-Men movies, it wouldn't have had anything to be different from. From what I can tell, the New Mutants movie does not connect itself with any X-Men continuity, so it's not like it can be compared to any of the X-Men movies, or any superhero movie for that matter. It is simply a horror movie involving kids with strange abilities (oh, and the word "mutant" thrown in every once in a while).

Fair enough. 

I've watched the trailer three times now and this is honestly the first Marvel movie I find myself not remotely caring about.  I didn't  care much about Age of Ultron, either, but I liked what I saw in the 'no strings on me' trailer.  This one, though - pure neutral on the anticipation.  I can't put my finger on why.

I'm in the same boat, I'm not disinterested, but this one isn't making me particularly curious.  It seems almost like they're presuming on interest and not trying as hard to sell the film.  Which probably is a wise use of the money, its not like people are going to blow off an Avengers film because they didn't see a cool enough trailer.  But if its not a good movie, if its just meh (like Avengers 2, Thor 2, and Iron Man/Cap 3 for me) and doesn't get good word of mouth right away that might hurt them.

Its possible people have gotten past the freshness and excitement of superhero films, that now its just like another action movie, so people aren't as giddy about it?  I don't know.

1 hour ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Its possible people have gotten past the freshness and excitement of superhero films, that now its just like another action movie, so people aren't as giddy about it?  I don't know.

I think it is the stories they choose. 

The universe ending stories seem to be meh to me.

The stories that are less extreme and have time for the characters to have actual banter and do things in between the battles are what I enjoy. 

More story, less spectacle.

I guess we need exit polls for online trailers now, to gauge interest post-viewing. I imagine that a large percentage of the folks who broke the Internet when that trailer first hit are highly enthusiastic for the film. It is mostly just the jaded nerds that are meh about it.

I think this Avengers movie will pull in unprecedented opening weekend box office figures because it pulls together all the marquis MCU characters (not counting the Netflix ones), and I think a lot of people are excited to see the Guardians interact with the Avengers, and to see Dr. Strange interacting with Tony Stark, etc. A few folks (like some around here) may not find that especially enthralling, but I think the average MCU fan certainly does (and there are literally millions of them out there).

It's a little hard for me to gauge interest in a film whose trailers I am actively avoiding.  But the way I see it, having a bunch of safe familiar faces is a good way to establish a basic level of traffic, but there needs to be more than that to really drive a box office.  Marketing has to convey enough tone, spectacle, conflict, and questions to really drive people to the box office, and I'm not sure that's been achieved yet.  There has to be more than a universe-level threat that we all know is going to be defeated--there has to be enough tension and conflict between the characters for people to wonder how it's all going to turn out.