Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

I see two problems: the drab, black costume (a few colorful highlights are not enough to make up for this, IMO), and the helmet. In the comics, Wasp never wore a helmet. It's an odd choice for the movie because covering up Evangeline Lilly's face seems like the last thing you want to do. And the only reason I can think of for shoving her into a helmet is to make it consistent with Scott's costume. Or to meet some bogus standard of "realism". Both reasons are lame and inconsistent with the source material.

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, zslane said:

, and the helmet.

Yes, but it fits with the movie continuity. Pym told Lang early that the helmet is what helps protect him from the deteriorating madness that infected Yellowjacket, because he didn't have the right technology. It is also why Pym couldn't wear the suit himself, because even with the helmet, the cumulative effect had meant he couldn't.

The prototype Wasp costume teased at the end of Ant-Man was a lot more colorful than this. Based on her character as displayed in that movie, I would assume this color scheme is Hope Van Dyne's choice. In A-M she always wore dark business suits, severe haircut, and an assertive, no-nonsense manner. Which given that Paul Rudd's Scott Lang is often cracking wise, may actually be a good choice to preserve the comedian/straight man dynamic that Ant-Man and Wasp always had in the comics... only with the roles reversed.

As for Thor, now that he's out in Kirby-space with the Guardians of the Galaxy, I'm hoping either movie series will provide an opportunity to introduce one of the Fox IPs that Marvel will soon have access to: Galactus. He probably should be shown eating another planet(s) before he makes his way to Earth, to establish the magnitude of his threat.

I don't think we should underestimate the eagerness with which the black movie-going audience around the world is anticipating Black Panther. It looks to be a cultural touchstone for that community, like Wonder Woman was for women. Every black person I've spoken to, read, or watched online, who is aware of this movie, displays a "finally, one for us" excitement (for particular reasons I described earlier on this thread).

7 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

As for Thor, now that he's out in Kirby-space with the Guardians of the Galaxy, I'm hoping either movie series will provide an opportunity to introduce one of the Fox IPs that Marvel will soon have access to: Galactus. He probably should be shown eating another planet(s) before he makes his way to Earth, to establish the magnitude of his threat.

I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully, by the time they get around to such a movie the government will have approved the purchase of those Fox assets and all the necessary legal paperwork will have been signed.

Bear in mind that "getting back the Fantastic Four" from Fox doesn't mean what most people think it means. Fox doesn't actually own the license to the Fantastic Four, they only own a contract with the production company that does own that license. In effect, Disney merely acquires that contract, but I suspect there will need to be some reformulation (and re-negotiation) of the contract before Disney can use those characters.

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

I don't think we should underestimate the eagerness with which the black movie-going audience around the world is anticipating Black Panther. It looks to be a cultural touchstone for that community, like Wonder Woman was for women. Every black person I've spoken to, read, or watched online, who is aware of this movie, displays a "finally, one for us" excitement (for particular reasons I described earlier on this thread).

Totally agree. Pre sales have gone through the roof in part because 'marvel' but the black community appears to be uberjazzed for this. 

I was impressed with the actor in Civil War, and love the Pulp meets Sci Fi touches I'm seeing in Wakanda from trailers, so I'm really excited, but I imagine for those who feel they want a hero they can perhaps more easily identify with or even idolize, it's way past that.

I remember some concern being expressed here over Brie Larson's age (currently 28) to be playing a character of Carol Danvers' military rank (Major). To be honest -- and this is not intended as a slight against her -- Larson appears older than that to me. Personally I wouldn't object to being told that her character in this movie is in her mid-thirties.

You lost me at Fox's X-Men movies have become consistently better since its soft reboot with First Class :)

The Wolverine and Apocalypse were...not good...at all.

Fox and Sony (and WB) movies have gone wrong with studio exec interference and studio decision-making, particularly with regards to FF, Spidey 3 and Last Stand.

Its possible Marvel could eventually fall into that trap, but doubtful while Feige is in charge.  I am also not one thats having nerdgasms because these characters have been acquired.  I've already seen them done, I'd prefer Marvel maintain their next phase concentrating on the newer, less-known characters they have planned.

16 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Exactly right.  One episode of Robert Kirkman's History of Comics was devoted to the story of the Milestone Comics imprint, and everyone interviewed on the show described their excitement and pride when the Black Panther character first debuted, then got his own book.  Now they, and a new generation, are feeling the same thing with the Black Panther movie.