Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

5 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Its part of the character arc, his redemption moment.  For Downey its about the part and the story of his character, not playing Tony Stark.  He loves the misery that Tony goes through and its a perfect chance to show Iron Man finally learns to be a hero instead of a self centered egotist trying to control the world.

Hmm, I really thought that moment was in the first Avengers movie when he flew a Nuke into space assuming he wouldn't have the power to return.

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was definitely Tony's "hero" moment, effectively a response to Cap's accusation earlier in the movie that Tony isn't the kind of man to sacrifice himself for someone else. But in spite of the growth in his character from movie to movie, Stark's monumental ego and need to control everything have been shown to screw things up for him and others, time and again.

To be fair, when you've been a world-class douche most of your life, the road to enlightenment is bound to be long and bumpy.

4 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I'm going to call this now, just based on the trailer, 'cause I also have a Stark-sized ego. :D But if I'm right I guess this would count as a spoiler, so

Reveal hidden contents

I'm betting Pepper Potts puts on the Iron Man armor to save Tony, and is the one we see Thanos pounding into the ground. I also believe that's whose hand a grieving-looking Tony is shown holding at the start of the trailer, because Thanos kills her. If true, that could be a moment RDJ might enjoy playing.

At least it would get rid of Paltrow.

And thanks, Old Man.

Okay. We know Tony has control issues (and ego). In Iron Man he is confronted by accountability. He makes weapons, but until it happens to him he was happy with there being zero accountability.

In Age of Ultron Tony thinks "a suit of armor around the world" and creates Ultron. (Genius moron)

In Captain America: Civil War Stark is confronted by a mother whose child was killed by Stark's creation. Stark feels guilty. Wants there to be accountability, but does not want to be held personally accountable for his part in the creation of Ultron, so he passed the buck (and the Sokovia Accords) to the Avengers. Otherwise, Stark would have accepted full responsibility for Ultron and his creation's actions. Stark, based on his need to not be personally accountable (because, hey, he signed the Accords), puts Hawkeye, Wanda, Ant-Man, and Falcon under arrest/confinement in the Raft (probably without any kind of due process). And Cap pretty much an exile in Wakanda.

Like a lot of superhero movies, the cause of almost all Tony's troubles is... him.  He doesn't go out so much to fight injustice and bad guys, but to fix the messes he creates. Sometimes making far worse messes.  His momentary flashes of heroism generally are driven by ego and how he'll appear to others, not any sense of altruism or heroic intent.  The guy is entertaining enough but like the Fantastic Four in every movie, things would generally have been better off without them in the world.

The thing with Captain Marvel is that the character never really had a specific, well-known look other than a conspicuous star at some point, so you can do pretty much what you want with the character.  Personally I'd prefer a more comic booky superhero look but Marvel wants to stay with the flight suit/leather design for everyone.

29 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

The thing with Captain Marvel is that the character never really had a specific, well-known look other than a conspicuous star at some point, so you can do pretty much what you want with the character.  Personally I'd prefer a more comic booky superhero look but Marvel wants to stay with the flight suit/leather design for everyone.

Except the 20-odd years she spent in the black leotard with a lightning bolt across it with a red sash belt and a domino mask. The only time it went away was when she was Binary and it came back when she stopped being Binary. It even lasted into her Warbird period.

Captain Marvel over the years:

Captains.png

The costume has changed quite a bit over the years, and there are like 4 other variants I didn't even put up there.  Remember Carol Danvers was originally Ms Marvel, different character (sash, but otherwise other costume).

msmarvel.jpg

But the movie posters have her in her more modern costume, less butch than the current comic book character, but the same sort of design.

I really liked the Monica Rambeau version, personally.