Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Seeing them side by side, I'm afraid I have to disagree with you.

ant-man-wasp.jpgevangeline-lilly-paul-rudd-film-ant-man-

Two things I see very clearly from that photo:

First, they darkened (to black) all the gray that used to be in Ant-Man's previous suit, which is hardly surprising given how much of a hard-on Hollywood has for black (as the primary element in) superhero costumes. Second, the swaths of red in his suit add way more color to its appearance than the barely noticeable patches of dark blue on hers. They match only in the sense that they both conform to the generic black supersuit design aesthetic we've been stuck with since the very first X-Men movie.

Again, disagree. Textures, padding, geometric contours, placement of tech pieces like wrist bands and shoulder mounts for their backpacks, and especially the shape of their helmets, all look very similar to me, more than enough to suggest a common designer. Color differences don't negate all that IMO. But we clearly perceive this differently, so I won't try to convince you. :)

I've come to accept that the MCU is made up of people who hate how comics were in the past and while they will throw a contemptuous bone toward fans with a retro costume or a little Easter egg, have their own agenda, and that's just how it is.  Meanwhile the DC guys try hard to make the characters look authentic and retain the basic themes of comics such as code names and secret identities, but write awful stories and seem to want viewers to slit their wrists.

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

Textures, padding, geometric contours, placement of tech pieces like wrist bands and shoulder mounts for their backpacks, and especially the shape of their helmets, all look very similar to me, more than enough to suggest a common designer.

I do agree with you on that count. They do look, more or less, like evolutionary branches of a common design mindset, at least in its minute details.

However, the overall aesthetic is still one that conforms to the boring, black, padded "tech" armor design that countless other characters have been forced to wear since Singer foisted it upon us eighteen years ago. There's a YouTube video that discusses the cultural origins of the classic supersuit and Hollywood's disdain for it, showing many (oh so many) examples from the myriad superhero movies that have come out since 2000's X-Men. When one is so vividly reminded of just how ubiquitous this creatively empty motif has become, it feels like a cut that never heals because it keeps getting abraded and re-opened with every new superhero movie that comes out.

Captain Marvel's costume in the comics these days varies from dark blue to medium blue depending on the lighting conditions, with an overall skew towards darker blue, making that third image the closest to comic-book CM. I really like that third version, though I wouldn't mind the blue being kicked up a tiny bit brighter. The DCEU one is fairly accurate for the Snyder aesthetic, but I think the reds would be darker.

Whatever Feige may or may not know about the merger and its fallout, he's too shrewd a producer to spill it in public until the contracts are signed. The deal still has hoops to jump through before it's definitely a go. But you can bet credits to Navy beans he and his team are working on contingency plans based on whether or not it goes through.

4 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I like the darker blue, honestly but I'm not fond of the quilted leather with a thousand sections sewed together look.  Nobody deliberately would make a costume for themselves that took that much work.  Not if they're gonna actually wear it often and have to repair it.

Only Spider-Man repairs his own suit, and that is only in the comics.

The X-Men have a sweatshop in the basement staffed with mutants whose only powers are sewing. The Fantastic Four's unstable molecules are self-repairing. The Avengers have Jarvis. Iron Man has his fabricators.