Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Greywind said:

Which is a group and therefore not a solo debut.

I think the analogy here is the debut of characters not starring in their own movie before. The Guardians of the Galaxy originated in the comics as a group concept, like the X-Men, the Fantastic Four, or the Doom Patrol. Characters from those groups do sometimes develop their own independent titles, but are still linked to their teams. OTOH the Avengers or the Justice League were always the "all-star teams," compiled from established independent heroes.

22 hours ago, zslane said:

Well now the alt-press is whining about Marvel's missed opportunity to add LGBTQ representation to Black Panther. It seems to me that Marvel is doomed to disappoint some minority group (or three) with every MCU release just due to the inherent limitations of the 2-hour movie format.

Ultimate problem with the PC crowd is that you can never be PC enough.  The entire mindset is based upon finding some oppressed people somewhere.  You could have an all-black, all-gay, all-women and transgender cast and crew, and someone will complain that all your stars are too "conventionally attractive" or some other damn thing.

You gotta just make the movie you want to make and ignore everyone else.

9 hours ago, Old Man said:

I hope it's wrong, but Black Panther is really tripping my overhype alarm.

The previews don't make me want to see it.  Wakanda does not look anything like a real place, it looks like a video game.  I could handle that with Asgard, realm of the gods.  But I'm not sure that I'm ready for another place that's all CGI, particularly one that's supposed to be on Earth.  The movie is getting great reviews so far, but I don't trust those yet.  There's too much praise for the movie being "culturally significant" or "historic".  Not enough talk about it being just a kickass action/adventure movie.

I really liked Black Panther when he appeared in Civil War.  Thought the actor did a great job and he seemed like an interesting character.  It's just that all the positive reviews I've seen so far have focused on the wrong things for me.  I'll probably wait and see what the reactions of the people on this board are, and maybe for people I know in real life to see it.  Going to the movies is expensive, and if I can wait for DVD I'll probably do that.

23 hours ago, zslane said:

Well now the alt-press is whining about Marvel's missed opportunity to add LGBTQ representation to Black Panther. It seems to me that Marvel is doomed to disappoint some minority group (or three) with every MCU release just due to the inherent limitations of the 2-hour movie format.

Oh for the love of...

I'm almost afraid to search the details on the internet

I agree, LL, but you just know that everyone who has a seat on the Black Panther superhype bandwagon is just waiting for it to break opening weekend records so they can say (in effect, if not in word), "See! This truly is an historic moment in the long, celebrated history of human achievement!"

Um, doesn't "long-term", by definition, require time to pass before something can be assessed for long-term impact? If not, when did long-term change to mean immediate-term?

And for those who use the word "historic" to refer to superficial achievements (like movie box office performance) in the corpus of human events, I would strongly urge them to choose a different word. Otherwise it begins to lose its linguistic gravitas, and eventually, its actual meaning all together (ala "literally").

If this movie is indeed culturally significant (which I believe it is, since that's what people in the Black culture are telling me), it will be considered so regardless of box office.

LOL @ the "alt-press".  It's "alt" for a reason.  The worst thing about social media isn't the social media itself but the way the traditional media chases after it, giving wide voice to tiny, pathological mindsets as if they were representative of anything meaningful.

There's a line from the TV show Brockmire, when he asks a friend why the TV news is reporting about YouTube videos.  "Today's news is what was on the internet yesterday."

So far reviews and word of mouth are generally positive, with the story smartly avoiding the social and political traps it might have fallen into.  Wakanda's implausible existence is explained by comic book logic, not real-world logic, and the cast is said to be very good, high quality acting.  The only real complaints I'm seeing is that the action is kind of a letdown after the big chase scene they show in every trailer, so far at least.  It opened well because of the incredible hype and clever marketing (how do you get people to go to movies at the theater when they can see them at home in more comfort and equal quality?  Convince people its  Socially Relevant and a Historical Moment!), and positive buzz about the quality and entertainment of the movie without being sucker punched with someone's political agenda probably will give it legs.

2 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

It opened well because of the incredible hype and clever marketing (how do you get people to go to movies at the theater when they can see them at home in more comfort and equal quality?  Convince people its  Socially Relevant and a Historical Moment!),

Not difficult to do, when it actually is.  I don't understand the resistance to this idea, particularly from people who honestly would have no clue whether it is or isn't.  But I'm not here to convince anybody of anything.

I just came from the theater.  I've been trying to get my wife to see a Marvel movie with me in the theater but she's always resisted, until today.  We both loved it.  It does touch on a couple of social themes, it has a relatable villain, and it has ramifications for the wider MCU while still being a self-contained story.  I'll be seeing it again this week with some friends.

Interestingly, when I got home I happened on to the last 20 minutes of BvS.  Suddenly Black Panther seems even better.  I don't usually rank movies but without giving it much thought I'd say this one is easily in the Top Ten MCU offerings.

2 hours ago, Armory said:

Interestingly, when I got home I happened on to the last 20 minutes of BvS.  Suddenly Black Panther seems even better.

That's not exactly a high bar to clear.

If Black Panther is as good as Winter Solider, I will be very pleased (with it) indeed.

On 14/02/2018 at 9:15 PM, Lord Liaden said:

To be honest, box-office record chasing bores me. All records fall eventually, and inflation turns them into apple/orange comparisons anyway. If I like Black Panther, all I care about is that it makes enough money to guarantee a sequel.

Black Panther 2: Electric Boogaloo