Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know quite a few people who have seen it two or three times. Including myself. ;)

The thing is, as sad as the end of the movie was, almost no one believes all those characters are going to stay dead. What I'm hearing and reading online is a lot of speculation, and yes, excitement, over how the next movie will restore them, and over which characters will stay dead, and which of the remaining characters will die. People are going back to the movie looking for clues they might have missed.

Infinity War isn't The Last Jedi. There were surprises and shocks, but the plot was logical, the characters stayed true to themselves, and Marvel has built up a lot of fan trust and goodwill over the years.

Just look at the fan marks for Infinity War on Rotten Tomatoes and Cinemascore. Most clearly loved it. People don't avoid movies because of sad endings; sometimes they actually seek out  such a cathartic experience. I mean, how else could you explain the success of Titanic?

The main difference in fan feedback about IF vs TLJ, is that while many people are saying IF was sad, very few people are saying it was bad.

So the government approved AT&T acquisition of Time Warner. That allows Comcast's cash bid for the Fox entertainment assets to go forward, which Disney may find difficult to match unless they can convince Fox stockholders that Disney stock plus some cash is a better deal.

On 6/12/2018 at 1:22 PM, Lord Liaden said:

The main difference in fan feedback about IF vs TLJ, is that while many people are saying IF was sad, very few people are saying it was bad.

There's also the possibility that people felt obligated to see IW (and TLJ) in order to keep up with the story.  That could also explain why Solo tanked; among other reasons, it's irrelevant to the franchise arc as a whole.  I only saw it because the ten-year-old insisted, and I'm a softie.

Luke Cage 2 was much improved over 1.  The first was a bit bland and screwed up with a villain switcheroo in the last few episodes.  This season had heart and packed a punch.  The villain was much better and more nuanced.  Colleen and Misty did their thing.  Also enjoyed the 'super-endorsement' angle.

2 hours ago, Starlord said:

Luke Cage 2 was much improved over 1.  The first was a bit bland and screwed up with a villain switcheroo in the last few episodes.  This season had heart and packed a punch.  The villain was much better and more nuanced.  Colleen and Misty did their thing.  Also enjoyed the 'super-endorsement' angle.

First three episodes in and I totally agree. It is a great cast that develops in an organic way, but the show hasn't lagged, while being very much focused on "living the life" of a super, not just the big events. Bushmaster is both scary and charismatic, with an intelligent, if criminal, agenda that is personal to him. Really well done, so far.

On 5/9/2015 at 4:51 PM, Lord Liaden said:

But what I hear repeatedly from black people in North America is that they welcome seeing more of their own depicted in media as strong, successful, and positive role models. I may have completely missed the mark, but rather than weep I would suspect Dr. King would be delighted to see a formerly-white character depicted as black and have that be completely socially acceptable.

Pet peeve...Black Panther is not an African american...

On 5/9/2015 at 4:51 PM, Lord Liaden said:

But what I hear repeatedly from black people in North America is that they welcome seeing more of their own depicted in media as strong, successful, and positive role models. I may have completely missed the mark, but rather than weep I would suspect Dr. King would be delighted to see a formerly-white character depicted as black and have that be completely socially acceptable.

Pet peeve...Black Panther is not an African american...

Honestly, I missed that it was such a necro post, or would not have said anything....my bad for bringing up something so old...

And also, as BoloOfEarth pointed out, having nothing to do with Black Panther. I.e. Michael B. Jordan as Johnny Storm in the most recent Fantastic Four movie.

But that does raise a point worth remembering: when talking the appeal of Black Panther, one shouldn't downplay the "African" in "African-American." For many years black people living in the United States have been encouraged to embrace their historical roots in Africa, as a way of reinforcing a positive sense of identity in a society where they've long felt treated as lesser. So having this depiction of such an extraordinary place as Wakanda being in all ways African resonates powerfully for black people in America, and for that matter around the world. (And for whom the term "African-American" doesn't apply... like the many black people living up here in Canuckistan.) ;)

That was one minor annoyance for me in the Black Panther movie; the depiction of an African nation was an Americanized viewpoint, it was a US fantasy on what an African nation is like, sort of a blend of African cultures and themes with Caribbean and all other sorts of things mixed in for a general blackness without cultural identity or distinction.  Which, I suppose, works well for African Americans who've never been to Africa, but I bet Africans find it kind of quaint and perhaps even condescending.

24 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

(And for whom the term "African-American" doesn't apply... like the many black people living up here in Canuckistan.) ;)

I'm from Michigan and have distinct memories of being asked where I was from while crossing the border into Canada.  When I responded "America," the border guard (pedantically) pointed out, "We're in America too -- North America."  So apparently they're African-Americans up there too.  ;)

When I responded "America," the border guard (pedantically) pointed out, "We're in America too -- North America."

I know why Canadians do that, but its kind of annoying.  Mexico is in North America too.  So's Brazil.  And Urugay, etc.  Colloquially the entire world refers to the USA as 'America' and that's become standard use.  Which makes the Canadian tendency to do that... less than polite or reasonable.

1 hour ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

That was one minor annoyance for me in the Black Panther movie; the depiction of an African nation was an Americanized viewpoint, it was a US fantasy on what an African nation is like, sort of a blend of African cultures and themes with Caribbean and all other sorts of things mixed in for a general blackness without cultural identity or distinction.  Which, I suppose, works well for African Americans who've never been to Africa, but I bet Africans find it kind of quaint and perhaps even condescending.

IIRC Black Panther was the highest grossing film of all time in Africa. 

1 hour ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I know why Canadians do that, but its kind of annoying.  Mexico is in North America too.  So's Brazil.  And Urugay, etc.  Colloquially the entire world refers to the USA as 'America' and that's become standard use.  Which makes the Canadian tendency to do that... less than polite or reasonable.

I admit we tend to have a knee-jerk reaction to try to undercut the frequent sense of condescension we feel from many Americans toward Canada. We should probably try to be more tolerant.

2 hours ago, BoloOfEarth said:

I'm from Michigan and have distinct memories of being asked where I was from while crossing the border into Canada.  When I responded "America," the border guard (pedantically) pointed out, "We're in America too -- North America."  So apparently they're African-Americans up there too.  ;)

But there's the other side of it. Americans think of themselves as Americans, and a large part of how Canadians define ourselves boils down to, "not like Americans." So while we may like to point out that technicality to Americans, we would never call ourselves anything-Americans. Perverse, I know.