Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

History matters. Creating that history over time is one of the great pleasures of RPG playing and world building.

Well that's the entire point of a "continuity" and having a consistent, single universe setting.  If you mess with that (like DC has done, what, 25 times in the last 30 years?) there's no sense of continuity and no stories matter beyond their 22-page comic.

On 6/29/2018 at 5:48 PM, Bazza said:

Warbird era? 

I believe she first joined the Avengers and wore the black suit back in the late 70s when John Byrne was writing and drawing the book. She returned as Warbird in Busiek's Avengers quite a few years later.

On 7/1/2018 at 7:53 PM, Dr. MID-Nite said:

Now...she left Earth(in Avengers #200) in what was thought at the time to be of her own free will. It was really heavy handed of her to blame them for not keeping tabs on her when they thought they were never going to see her again.

What she blamed them for was blithely standing by (or in Thor's case, providing transportation) while she was mind-controlled into dropping her entire life and running off with the guy who'd used her as a brood mare/incubator to give birth to himself. Marcus even admitted to everyone that his machines had influenced her to fall in love with him! It was just like that horror trope where some elder god or cosmic being does the same to get itself reborn in physical form on earth. Only in this instance, instead of being a giant mass of tentacles it started out as a cute kid and ended up looking like Aidan Turner in a bath towel.

5 hours ago, Greywind said:

And yet one of the early DC writers thought they should clean the slate every 10 years or so.

If... within that 10 years, they were loyal to the continuity... characters aged, changed, died, and the editorial direction and meta-story was maintained and consistent, I'd be all for that.

I personally don't like the "100 years of continuity*!!"

* don't look closely at all the things we changed or ignored from early times just because we assume our readers forgot or don't care, and the characters don't age or grow

If you are going to do continuity... do it right... or I'd  be happy with 10 to 20 year periods that reboot... as long as they are hardline internally consistent during that period. 

I'm okay with reboots like Crisis on Infinite Earths that reboot the setting to fix problems, clean up severe continuity headaches, and fix long-standing issues like 90000 universes where basically everything is happening at once and nobody can keep track.  But just rebooting because "well gosh Beavis, they should be older now" is just sloppy writing.  One issue a month covers a few hours of a character's life, they can run for decades without getting much older just telling all the stories of their life.  And honestly in terms of what concerns me in comics, not growing any older is pretty low on my list of concerns.  I really don't give a crap if Kitty Pryde is 13½ for 10 years as long as the stories are well told.

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Shes never had a limited series or graphic novel as far as I know.

She's had four of each, according to Wikipedia. I only knew about one of them, and I think it's safe to say that she hasn't had anything approaching the prominence of some other, more popular, characters.

17 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I think its the writing that will be key for Black Widow to work.  Shes never had a limited series or graphic novel as far as I know.

2 minutes ago, Pattern Ghost said:

She's had four of each, according to Wikipedia. I only knew about one of them, and I think it's safe to say that she hasn't had anything approaching the prominence of some other, more popular, characters.

Also, she has had three ongoing series, thought none of them seemed to last more than a couple years.

She has also been a 3 super teams, an agent of SHIELD, a villain and paired with a scad of individual heroes.  So, if you count all her appearances, it's a really big number.

2 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I think its the writing that will be key for Black Widow to work.  Shes never had a limited series or graphic novel as far as I know.

She's a couple of limited series. Def at least one. I have it and need to read it. 

Must have been stuff after I stopped paying much attention to comics (they got too expensive and not very well written).  I did like some of her appearances (Daredevil, the X-Men story where it was revealed she was much, much older than she looks).  But there's never really been a definitive portrayal, which gives the writer a lot of leeway.  If anything, her best portrayal was her intro in the first Avengers, but its been kinda downhill since then.

9 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Must have been stuff after I stopped paying much attention to comics (they got too expensive and not very well written).  I did like some of her appearances (Daredevil, the X-Men story where it was revealed she was much, much older than she looks).  But there's never really been a definitive portrayal, which gives the writer a lot of leeway.  If anything, her best portrayal was her intro in the first Avengers, but its been kinda downhill since then.

I thought the revelations about Nat's past in Age of Ultron were pretty compelling. Enhanced by the depiction of the beginnings of the Red Room and the Black Widow training program in Agent Carter.

Personally, I hope the new movie utilizes Yelena Belova as Natasha's antagonist. There are so many levels a premise like that could play up.