Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:53 PM, zslane said:

If I were Marvel, I'd have cast Charlize Theron for this role, had she been available, willing, and ten years younger. I am very much looking forward to this movie, but I am not yet sold on Brie Larson in the role, nor on the decision to set it in the 1990s (I am similarly skeptical about the choice of the 1980s for the new Wonder Woman movie). I really hope I like this movie at least as much as I liked the first Wonder Woman movie, but I have to say that this trailer doesn't quite give me goosebumps, so I'm not sure what to think at this point.

Well, she doesn't really get much in the way of lines in the first trailer.  I assume we'll see some flashes of action and dialogue in future trailers.  

Very true.

Still, just in terms of physicality and ability to project strong will and steely resolve, not many actresses can match Charlize Theron. She is tall and statuesque and she looks like she could bore holes through Captain America's shield with just her gaze. In my books she completely sells the character before you even give her lines to say.

1 hour ago, zslane said:

Very true.

Still, just in terms of physicality and ability to project strong will and steely resolve, not many actresses can match Charlize Theron. She is tall and statuesque and she looks like she could bore holes through Captain America's shield with just her gaze. In my books she completely sells the character before you even give her lines to say.

I think both that Marvel wanted a somewhat younger actress, and has a preference for casting performers who are reasonably well-known but not outright stars.  Likely for financial reasons(i.e., holding down the salary demands, which would be 10 million plus for any star they cast, which is a lot for the first film in a series).  

And their track record has been very good in that department. Most of their current A-list stars were minor players or nearly unknown before being cast.

By this point, any actor who isn't already a marquee name would be a fool to turn down a starring role in a Marvel movie.

As for Brie Larson, this trailer hasn't given us enough to really assess how she's going to play the character. But for me, Marvel has built up a lot of trust, so I'm not ready to gainsay them at this stage.

13 hours ago, megaplayboy said:

I think both that Marvel wanted a somewhat younger actress, and has a preference for casting performers who are reasonably well-known but not outright stars.

Right, and I agree with Marvel's preference for a younger actress here, and that's why I said she'd have been my choice if she were ten years younger. (Oy veh)

As for using known movie stars, well, I figure if Marvel is willing to put Scarlett Johansson in a supporting role, then they'd have no problem putting someone like Charlize Theron in a leading role. And it's not like Disney/Marvel isn't made of money at this point, so her asking price would be pretty much a non-issue.

2 hours ago, zslane said:

As for using known movie stars, well, I figure if Marvel is willing to put Scarlett Johansson in a supporting role, then they'd have no problem putting someone like Charlize Theron in a leading role. And it's not like Disney/Marvel isn't made of money at this point, so her asking price would be pretty much a non-issue.

When Scarlett Johansson was cast as Black Widow in Iron Man II, she wasn't yet ScarJo the headliner that she is now. She'd been acting for years but wasn't high-profile, and had never been in a film like that. There was a lot of fan questioning as to whether she could handle it. And Scarlett wasn't asked to play the Widow, she actively campaigned for the role. It wouldn't be overstatement that her work in the first Avengers did a lot to advance her career, and subsequent "supporting roles" in Marvel films to sustain it. In any case, she most likely signed a multi-picture contract like most of the recurring MCU heroes, before she got big. That's been a sticking point for some actors -- it nearly cost them Chris Evans.

Okay, maybe Benedict Cumberbatch would have been a better example. And if you think he wasn't a hugely popular and well known actor before appearing in Dr. Strange, then you've clearly never been to SD Comic Con at any time before 2016. The point is, Marvel is not averse to hiring well-known actors for lead roles, even those with difficult schedules to work around (due to the demand for them elsewhere). If Theron were younger (and interested in the role), I think hiring her for Captain Marvel would have been a slam dunk move for Marvel, just as it would have been for Fox to cast Angela Basset as Storm in the original X-Men movies. I just hope Brie Larson does a far better job with Capt. Marvel than any of the actresses have done with Storm. If not, Marvel will have a real dud on their hands, which would not be good considering how "socially significant" they want this movie to be.

There are numerous reasons to want to cast (a younger) Charlize Theron for the role of Captain Marvel. Being "hot" is pretty far down the list in my book (but it doesn't exactly hurt either). Brie Larson is attractive enough, at least to the extent that even matters for this role, but at 5' 7" (which I am skeptical of, tbh) she doesn't strike as commanding a figure as Charlize at 5' 10". I also feel Theron has more natural on-screen charisma than Larson, which I think goes a long way when playing a character described as "the most powerful hero in the MCU".

Now, this isn't to say Theron would be right for every role. Far from it. I wouldn't cast her in any of the previous female roles in the MCU. And she wouldn't be right, IMO, for a role like Sue Storm. I would cast someone like Brie Larson as Sue Storm. But for Carol Danvers, I just think Theron is perfect for it.

But hey, maybe Larson will surprise me the way Gadot did, and I really hope she does. I want this movie to be really good. I also want to be a big fan of the character on film, and right now I'm just not as optimistic as I'd like to be.

5 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Generally, Marvel has had a good track record with casting. I've only really disliked their choice in one major character so far. Unfortunately, he shows up in Captain Marvel. (Lee Pace as Whiny Ronan. And that's mainly the Whiny part, which is on the writers/director. He might be OK in this.)

I thought his delivery as Ronan was awful, reminiscent of stock villains in space opera TV shows. But it was a big surprise coming from Pace, he's been pretty much magnificent in every other role I've seen him in.