Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

Just now, zslane said:

Doubt and speculation is the fuel that keeps the engine of the 24-hour entertainment news cycle running. Nobody outside of Disney and Fox had any clue what was or wasn't actually on the chopping block.

I think Star Wars is looking up as a light sabre is swinging down.

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they do another FF movie, it should act as if the others never happened.  And cut it out with these Ultimates reimaginings of the story.  Its so easy to do: Reed Richards as an inventor chasing the prize for first manned independent space flight flies into unknown cosmic event (cosmic rays obviously won't cut it these days -- but what if its some sort of radiation from the Silver Surfer as he makes a first pass on earth?  Or some sort of Infinity Stones byproduct?  Maybe energy from Ego's destruction that reached earth just as they make a flight?).  The story pretty well writes its self.  And then you do the Mole Man story because I don't trust anyone to do Dr Doom right yet.

30 minutes ago, Cassandra said:

Depending on how Wonder Woman 1984 turns out it might become the foundation of a New DC Movie Universe.  I'm hopping that Kristen Wiig's Cheetah will be more Julie Newmar then a motion capture Cheetah creature.  DC could use a villain with the panache of Loki.

Birds of Prey might be good.  Although, apparently Black Canary is going to be, y'know, black.  Dunno about that as I'm kinda attached to blonde Canary as one of my fav characters but if the movie is good it probably won't matter.

4 minutes ago, Greywind said:

Just need someone like David Prowse was for Vader and a voice presence like James Earl Jones.

Well, his speech and mannerisms are way over the top, it could get silly.  Although, I'm also the guy who wants Thor to talk faux-shakespeare onscreen as well.

For Dr Doom to work properly in the MCU it will mean to treat Doom as a main character, and not a main villain. In other words, Doom needs a trilogy of his own. First film is his origin, how the villain took over Latveria and became its ruler. The second film is about him as ruler, with the ending (a end credits scene) involving Doom discovering Galactus is heading for Earth. His third film is shared with Fantastic Four opposing Galactus. 

IMO, the Fantastic Four reboot should be set in the late 50's/early 60's, with a focus on the weird science adventure aspects, including the Mole Man, the Negative Zone, some of Marvel's tried and true giant monsters and mad inventors. Just an all out pulp adventure series.

The whole franchise could be called "Stuff Cap Slept Through." Just give it its own continuity. It could also make for a world that Doom fits into, though introducing him later rather than sooner. Start him up as a friend or rival and build him up into an adversary over several movies, setting up an ideological clash that comes to a head a few movies in. Doom deserves more setup than Reed IMO.

23 minutes ago, Bazza said:

For Dr Doom to work properly in the MCU it will mean to treat Doom as a main character, and not a main villain. In other words, Doom needs a trilogy of his own. First film is his origin, how the villain took over Latveria and became its ruler. The second film is about him as ruler, with the ending (a end credits scene) involving Doom discovering Galactus is heading for Earth. His third film is shared with Fantastic Four opposing Galactus. 

I would say Doom should be introduced as a major villain similarly to how Thanos was brought along in the MCU movies: tease him, introduce bits of his background and motivation, in movies dealing with other villains and threats, particularly any Fantastic Four films. Then make him the main antagonist and dominant character in a movie, once the heroes involved have been established.

IMO, the Fantastic Four reboot should be set in the late 50's/early 60's, with a focus on the weird science adventure aspects, including the Mole Man, the Negative Zone, some of Marvel's tried and true giant monsters and mad inventors. Just an all out pulp adventure series.

I agree completely.  Doing them as a period team doing low end family adventurers into the unknown would be just a great way to handle the property and it would also detatch it from the horrendous previous attempts at films.

And yeah.  Doom has to be king of Latervia, not some random rich guy.

Setting up the FF in the 50s and 60s, while a charming notion, raises the thorny issue of explaining why they haven't been mentioned before in the MCU. I'm sure there are ways to write around it, but I'm not sure any of them are very believable or satisfying. I'd rather see Marvel preserve the current MCU continuity than try to retrofit the FF into its past, but that's just me.

Setting up the FF in the 50s and 60s, while a charming notion, raises the thorny issue of explaining why they haven't been mentioned before in the MCU

With the retconning going on, particularly with Ant Man and Captain Marvel, I don't think they are all that sussed about consistency or cohesion.

The thing about Ant-Man and Captain Marvel is, it's easy to explain why the Earth as a whole wasn't aware of them or doesn't remember them. Ant-Man was literally as low-profile as it's possible to get ;) , and most of his adventures were covert government missions. Captain Marvel has presumably spent most of the past decades far from Earth. But neither of those factors would apply to the FF, at least without radically re-interpreting their concept.

I think you guys are picturing them zooming around NYC superheroing. Not really necessary. Mole Man? Lives underground. Negative Zone? Literally another dimension. They could introduce the Savage Land via a FF franchise. Again, not in the public's eye. The FF adventuring and exploring isn't a radical change. They directly trace their lineage to Jules Verne type adventures and pulp Sci Fi adventures. There's nothing at all radical about having them be mostly out of the public eye.

And if they were in the public eye? So what? Why would someone comment on a group of supers who were around 50 years ago in the context of any of the other MCU material? When would that have naturally come up in conversation in any Marvel movie to date? I think Fury has commented on a rise in the number of powered people, but he never said the current crop is the first crop of same.