Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

"Creative differences" is an age-old smokescreen for war conducted in the realm of business. While Luke Cage, Danny Rand, Misty Knight, and Colleen Wing could theoretically appear as cameos in other shows, I predict there won't be any Marvel-related shows for them to appear in after next year, making that possibility completely moot. The real reason for cancelling these shows is as part of a strategic plan to cut any and all remaining ties to Disney and the MCU as soon as possible without violating existing contracts.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, zslane said:

"Creative differences" is an age-old smokescreen for war conducted in the realm of business. While Luke Cage, Danny Rand, Misty Knight, and Colleen Wing could theoretically appear as cameos in other shows, I predict there won't be any Marvel-related shows for them to appear in after next year, making that possibility completely moot. The real reason for cancelling these shows is as part of a strategic plan to cut any and all remaining ties to Disney and the MCU as soon as possible without violating existing contracts.

Jessica Jones s3 and Punisher s2 are premiering next year on Netflix.  

31 minutes ago, megaplayboy said:

Jessica Jones s3 and Punisher s2 are premiering next year on Netflix.

Yep. And if they don't have cameos in either of those two shows (and they probably won't just due to style and tone issues), then I predict we'll not see them again at all.

40 minutes ago, slikmar said:

Wonder how long, if none of these streaming services are reaching the numbers they expect, before we start seeing them making deals with places like Netflix and Hulu to stream their shows.

That's certainly what Netflix, Hulu, and the rest of the world wants.

But network executives have an astounding ability to ignore the obvious.

Well my cousin got DC Online and upon seeing their current lineup, I can confidently say I won't even consider getting it. The pickings are very sparse as they don't even have all the Justice League, Batman, Superman or LSH archives up. A small spattering of their animated movies(but by no means a complete one) and Titans is the only draw so far.

11 minutes ago, Grailknight said:

Well my cousin got DC Online and upon seeing their current lineup, I can confidently say I won't even consider getting it. The pickings are very sparse as they don't even have all the Justice League, Batman, Superman or LSH archives up. A small spattering of their animated movies(but by no means a complete one) and Titans is the only draw so far.

There's so little LSH material that you'd think they'd have it available just as filler, if for no other reason.

Netflix's New $2 Billion in Borrowing Raises Wall Street Eyebrows

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/netflixs-additional-2-billion-borrowing-raises-wall-street-eyebrows-1154325

The article says they're having to continue to borrow heavily to create new content and will continue having to borrow heavily for years to come. So if that's the case, it suggests that the money coming in still can't cover the expense of creating their product and won't in the coming years. And that's despite the fact that Netflix's revenue grew a whopping 34% in the third quarter.

Their main hope seems to be that the CBS, Disney, and DC services crash and burn so badly that those companies will have to re-release their content to one of the surviving services.

10 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Anybody borrowing $2 billion raises my eyebrows. :o

It's not the $2 billion which stands out to me but that it's an unexpected $2 billion in addition to all the other money they've already borrowed this year. And that after this additional borrowing gets them through this rough patch that they're expecting to have to borrow another $3 billion per year indefinitely.

The look was good Comic book stuff, and the action was as well.  But... the story was just a daffy road movie and didn't fit Thor at all so its hard to really like it as a comic book movie.  In truth, Deadpool went out of its way to be super accurate to the comics as well, down to the segmented plates on Collossus' body and brightly colored X-Men costumes.

All this just goes to show, the terror of showing actual comic book themes, colors, and costumes is just Hollywood stupidity.  They took all the wrong lessons from the failures of past comic book films, just like DC did with Green Lantern.

While I personally tend to be a comic-book Thor purist, and am not really happy with the direction Thor Ragnarok went in, various metrics were all indicating MCU Thor to that point had not connected with audiences the way other Marvel heroes had, so a change in direction was probably warranted. A direction taking advantage of Chris Hemsworth's obvious comedic talents seems like a smart choice. I forget where I first read the observation that MCU Thor now resembles Marvel Comics' Hercules -- a lovable goof who's also extremely competent in a fight due to his centuries of experience.

IMO Infinity War did a splendid job of blending that new take on Thor with the more serious elements of the story, and inherent godliness of the character, to create a Thor who often stole the movie in the opinion of many (including myself). The past year has greatly swelled the ranks of Thor fans, and that's hard to fault.