Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Bazza said:
Why Iron First & Luke Cage Were Cancelled Revealed By Netflix Viewer Data 
https://screenrant.com/iron-fist-luke-cage-cancelled-reason-netflix-viewer-drop/

Basically, the article states that analytics company guesses (with statistics) that viewership dropped substantively. 

Isn't the whole point of Netflix is that you can watch whatever you want, whenever you want?

I think it's difficult to measure viewing habits of people, even for Netflix, when there's no reason for viewers to watch a particular show at a particular time. I often watch worse series because they're so forgettable that I might otherwise forget they exist if I didn't watch them immediately while stockpiling episodes or even full seasons of much better series so I can eventually binge watch them (maybe even repeatedly).

I don't think someone could easily guess what I like to watch based on a snapshot of what I've been watching...and maybe not even based on six months of what I've been watching.

4 hours ago, Scott Ruggels said:

If Netflixs knows what I am watching at any particular moment, and tracks my current watched series over multiple devices, then they know down to the last digit, what viewership is, and what the viewer habits are. the Netflix app reports back to Netflix. 

Out of curiosity (since Netflix isn't the service I use at home), do they have a way to measure how much you enjoyed or didn't enjoy a program which you watched and do they have a list of shows which you would like to see but haven't yet got around to watching?

57 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

You can rate programs by a 5-star system, and build a queue of stuff you want to see for later, so kind of.

The DVD service uses the 5-star system, but the streaming service has moved to a thumbs up/thumbs down system, which it seems to ignore when making recommendations.

16 hours ago, archer said:

Out of curiosity (since Netflix isn't the service I use at home), do they have a way to measure how much you enjoyed or didn't enjoy a program which you watched and do they have a list of shows which you would like to see but haven't yet got around to watching?

They used to have a star ratings, but after the Amy Schumer debacle, they changed it to a thumbs up/ thumbs down rating, and the “you might like...” selections got noticeably less accurate. The do have a list system, where you can stack up shows you intend to watch. Just make sure you watch within three months, or they could be cycled out. 

The 1-5 star system wasn't quite granular enough for me anyway. There were simply too many titles I wanted to give 2.5 stars, a "Meh" rating in between "Liked it" and "Disliked it". A mere acknowledgment that I watched a title but have no lingering opinion of it one way or the other. I've resorted to simply not rating such titles, a tactic which is even more necessary now that there are only two choices for rating things.

5 minutes ago, zslane said:

Disney doesn't want Netflix to make any more money off its IP, and they don't like the economics of putting superhero tv shows on ABC. This way they get to slash budgets and still say they are building the MCU storytelling ecosystem of the future.

I mostly agree, sort off. I think is more about bypassing ABC which has editorial decision making over shows like Agents of SHIELD, & Agent Carter. With Disney's streaming service, Marvel now has a workaround from ABC, and has full control over the non-film content they produce.  

Disney/Marvel never had a problem with making their superhero content family-friendly enough to get past ABC's S&P board. But they sure had a (growing) problem with the logistical and economic constraints that the broadcast television format imposed. The biggest difference between now and several years ago when shows like Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter were airing was that there was no Disney streaming service on the horizon which offered a more logistically flexible and economically attractive delivery vehicle for that content. Next year there will be, and so pulling everything they can back in-house so as to have plenty of content with which to spin up the new service is of paramount strategic importance.

7 hours ago, zslane said:

Disney/Marvel never had a problem with making their superhero content family-friendly enough to get past ABC's S&P board. But they sure had a (growing) problem with the logistical and economic constraints that the broadcast television format imposed. The biggest difference between now and several years ago when shows like Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter were airing was that there was no Disney streaming service on the horizon which offered a more logistically flexible and economically attractive delivery vehicle for that content. Next year there will be, and so pulling everything they can back in-house so as to have plenty of content with which to spin up the new service is of paramount strategic importance.

I think they can have a clear rating system and a Family Filter on their service so that "mature" series could be blocked from viewing by children or somesuch.  If they actually clawed back all the existing shows, mostly used the same actors where possible, and integrated them into a single shared universe like the CW does, that would possibly be worth the cancellation of the NF shows.  The challenge would be the absence of the "marquee" movie superheroes from the tv universe--the two other options are to either have expensive occasional cameos(probably a nonstarter for any character who has their own film series) or to use a substitute actor.