Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so, regarding Clint as Ronin, guess we got the answer of whether his family disappeared. Also, I know is canon, but I wonder if him taking up mantle of Ronin isn't sort of an inside joke, as Renner has at least 2-3 times been the actor designated to replace someone in a big series (Mission Impossible and Bourne come to mind).

On 12/7/2018 at 6:05 PM, zslane said:

The Marvel Netflix shows are casualties of the digital streaming war between Netflix and Disney. Disney is pulling all their content from, well, everywhere, and putting it exclusively on Disney Plus. Netflix has decided that the only reasonable response is to cancel every show that would cost them a fortune (and their souls) to renew, and they have no interest in doing anything that helps Disney make money. I'm not sure I really blame Netflix, at least from a purely business perspective. However, as a fan of (some of) their Marvel shows, I am just as disappointed as you are.

What I should have said was I think its a bad business decision for Disney.

I just don't see them winning the Streaming Wars and think they would have been wise to get closer embedded with Netflix.

6 hours ago, Jagged said:

What I should have said was I think its a bad business decision for Disney.

I just don't see them winning the Streaming Wars and think they would have been wise to get closer embedded with Netflix.

Disney is the one company I think can get away with starting their own streaming service, simply because they have so much existing IP. Amazon can leverage their other businesses, and Netflix has their current customer base. Everyone else has an uphill fight.

15 hours ago, IndianaJoe3 said:

Disney is the one company I think can get away with starting their own streaming service

I tend to agree with this assessment. Disney enjoys a long history of becoming a dominant player in every entertainment space they enter. Disney Plus isn't a case of them dipping their tones in the streaming waters. They are going all in on it, and they won't stop until they displace Hulu as one of the Big Three.

4 hours ago, zslane said:

I tend to agree with this assessment. Disney enjoys a long history of becoming a dominant player in every entertainment space they enter. Disney Plus isn't a case of them dipping their tones in the streaming waters. They are going all in on it, and they won't stop until they displace Hulu as one of the Big Three.

Did you mean "displace"? I assume you meant something else as Hulu is Disney's.

I like the Marvel stuff but personally DIsney doesn't have the range I am interested in. Obviously different if you have kids.

But also I think their style of "F the customer" will count against them.

Things like cancelling great shows and Hulu plannig to show Ad Breaks when you pause will drive people away. Why pay for a streaming service AND have ads!

1 hour ago, Jagged said:

Did you mean "displace"? I assume you meant something else as Hulu is Disney's.

Well, Disney now owns a majority stake in Hulu, yes, but the essential mindset of Disney's corporate culture views Hulu as a piece of a larger streaming ecosystem now in need of some repositioning. I'm sure that if you were to get a glimpse of Disney's earnings projections for Disney Plus, you'd see that those earnings are expected to be larger than Hulu's by 2021 or so. Any other outcome would be seen as something of a failure of execution of their strategic vision.

Personally I'd avoid anything to do with Dracula in MCU movies. The character carries too much baggage, too many audience preconceptions. The Darkhold exists independently of him, though, and could be introduced into the MCU the way the Infinity Stones were. Maybe with some buildup for the book and the Darkholders cult, the ground work could be laid for an eventual appearance by a Marvel version of Dracula.

But if there was to be a new "phase" in the MCU laying out a big metaplot, IMO it should be a supernatural one. We've already done the cosmic stuff.