Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The trailer for Ant-Man will be shown on ABC accompanying the Agent Carter miniseries.

Unless comedy is your aim I still don't see the point of making an Ant-Man movie. What kind of script do you need to have to get people interested in a guy who shrinks to insect siz and rides a flying ant. What will he be fighting -- tarantulas?

Of course, I was also a bit of a nay-sayer on Guardians of the Galaxy and that turned out fantastic, so you never know with Marvel movies.

Seems like a really weird thing to say if you know anything at all about comics.  Couldn't what you just said about the movie apply to the character in general?  You know he doesn't just fight spiders in the comics, right?

Hollywood has been doing super early teasers for a long, long time. The problem with most of them is, I've forgotten the movie by the time the full trailers come out, and they don't show nearly as many. It's like huge hype for a few months, then nothing for a year or more, then just a few trailers that aren't that visible just prior to release. I end up just plain missing movies that way.

The difference with Marvel is that they just do a better job of maintaining the hype than the norm, and a better job of living up to the hype overall.

You can avoid most of the hype by not watching ABC, ESPN, or the Disney Channel. If you can't avoid them, well, at least the hype machine so heavily pushes this stuff on such a tight repeat cycle that after a while it just becomes so much white noise.

I like the hype. The more trailers the merrier IMO.

Trailers are almost my favorite part of going to the movies. I get what you're saying about the timing, though. Sometimes I think it's a result of issues with postproduction or with scheduling. Other times it's just that someone in marketing needs to be sacked.

I will confess to being a nay-sayer prior to Captain America and Guardians of the Galaxy.

Having seen Chris Evans as Johnny Storm in the Fantastic Four movie (in which I thought he was really, really good and he captured the character perfectly), I couldn't envision him at Captain America. I was wrong. He's a superb Captain America, and anyone who takes his place is going to have some big shoes to fill.

I was dubious about Guardians of the Galaxy too. And, again, I was wrong. The story wasn't particularly novel or riveting, but the characters were fascinating and fun to watch.

That being said, I cannot express a) how little I wanted an Ant-Man movie from day one, and B) how utterly unmoved my opinion is after seeing the trailer. It tells nothing except that a) it's ANOTHER. ORIGIN. STORY. (Really, Hollywood?) And it does nothing to make me care about Pym OR Lang. If it's supposed to have a lot of humor, that trailer doesn't indicate it--the music is full-on "dramatic action story" music. Now, maybe I'm wrong, and it'll be great. Clearly Marvel knows more about what they're doing than I do--they've been right and I've been wrong twice. But this time, I don't think so.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like a really weird thing to say if you know anything at all about comics.  Couldn't what you just said about the movie apply to the character in general?  You know he doesn't just fight spiders in the comics, right?

Actually I, like most American moviegoers, know nothing about the comic and barely knew the character existed.

Actually I, like most American moviegoers, know nothing about the comic and barely knew the character existed.

So you actually thought he fought insects in the comics?  That's what you're saying?

I'm saying I can't think of very many situations where turning into the size of a small bug is at all useful or heroic -- assuming you don't get accidentally squashed by the people you're trying to help.