Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm saying I can't think of very many situations where turning into the size of a small bug is at all useful or heroic -- assuming you don't get accidentally squashed by the people you're trying to help.

As to useful, turning into the size of a small bug would be similar to having invisibility and desolidification -- you could get into places you otherwise couldn't, and can observe things (or do things) with minimal chance of alerting anybody.  Great for information gathering and sabotage. 

I ran a Champions campaign that had a shrinking PC.  She was great at scoping out hostage situations or bad guys' bases before the heroes attacked.  Imagine how embarrassing it would be for the villain to push the missile launch or self-destruct button and have nothing happen, because somehow the wires got disconnected...  And let's not even discuss sneak attacks.

It's not as up-front and straightforward as, say, a blaster or a brick, or even a mentalist.  But a little creativity can make shrinking pretty useful and heroic enough when all is said and done.

In many of the comics / animated versions, Ant-man retains normal strength in miniature form - in my mind better than invisibility.  Imagine getting punched by someone who not only you can't see, you can't even try to grab!  I think in some writers' imaginations, he actually gets stronger the smaller he gets.  The science is hocus-pocus, of course, but not much more than any other superhero.

Also, I would be surprised if at some point in the film, he doesn't throw his Pym particles in reverse and become Giant-man.

• 3 months later...

More info regarding Phase Three of the Marvel Cinematic Universe

Main points:

• Captain Marvel will first appear in her own film and was taken out of Avengers Age of Ultron.
  • Nicole Pearlman and Meg LeFauve  are the screenwriters of Captain Marvel. Nicole Pearlman pitched and co-wrote Guardians of the Galaxy. Meg LeFauve is co-writer of the screenplay of Pixar's upcoming film Inside Out.
  • Spider-Man will first be Peter Parker, and Miles Morales may appear later. Also Peter may not be white.
  • Doctor Strange could be British not American which matches Benedict Cumberbatch's native accent. This would give the MCU a more international appeal.
  • Loki will definitely star in Thor Ragnorok.  
  • Captain America: Civil War is a Cap film, not an Avengers sequel.
  • Casting for Black Panther will commence soon.

Details and quotes from Feige can be found in the following link

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/sci-fi-fantasy/marvels-phase-3-as-explained-by-kevin-feige/

Do you have a source?

I will look for one when I get home but I learned that from a youtube show called "Morning Movie News". Great show if you like movies and especially Comic Book movie news.

But they had leaked the two possible candidates some time ago and then it came out who was picked. Both were white. The winner looks really young becauae PP will once again be a high schooler.

La Rose.

Scratch what I said. I was wrong. I must have been mixing up Spiderman for some other property. But heaven forbid I don't know which one. 

That said, according to Grace Randolph, the short list for SONY's pics are all white kids. 

Here is a link to the vid where she discusses that shortlist 

For anyone who likes to learn about various bits of movie news as they come out, I recommend the "Movie Math" channel on youtube (link above). 

La Rose. 

I'm fine with a British Dr Strange.  The character isn't tied to any one country or even planet really, and the Brit accent would help him sound more sophisticated and mystical to American ears.  Silly I know, but that's how it is.

That's because the British appear more careful about who they export to American television  than we are about who we send to demonstrate us ;)

Frankly, I prefer he stays American partially because the Doctor is quite sophisticated and classy and we could use more American heroes in that vein. I mean, Vincent Price was American and if I could restore him to life in his prime, he's the guy I'd want to cast for Dr. Strange ;)

BUT, I totally get the point that most American audiences would love it, and I guess the folks in the UK would be happy to have some representation in an American movie that wasn't a villain (Seriously, they must get tired of that). So it's nothing I'm willing to fight against.

... Just because you have none for your own. :mad:

Nothing new under the sun, each culture samples from what came beyond or came before and builds on it...

Cultures are like writers: A good one borrows, a great one steals ;)

James "Bubba" Bond- I look forward to watching heads explode all over the globe at that one :eg:

That's because the British appear more careful about who they export to American television than we are about who we send to demonstrate us ;)

Frankly, I prefer he stays American partially because the Doctor is quite sophisticated and classy and we could use more American heroes in that vein. I mean, Vincent Price was American and if I could restore him to life in his prime, he's the guy I'd want to cast for Dr. Strange ;)

BUT, I totally get the point that most American audiences would love it, and I guess the folks in the UK would be happy to have some representation in an American movie that wasn't a villain (Seriously, they must get tired of that). So it's nothing I'm willing to fight against.

Vincent Price would be perfect! :D

*Wanders off to read Dr. Frankenstein's research notes.*

News, Interviews etc

Exclusive Interview: Kevin Feige on The Infinity Stones, Civil War and More - The President of Marvel Studios says only the Time and Soul Gems are unaccounted for…

The Big Secret Behind The Infinity Gauntlet, According To Marvel's Kevin Feige

‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’ Ending Explained: A Phase 3 Launchpad

Bonus

10 Things You Might Not Know About The Avengers

More info on Avengers 2: Age of Robot Reddington in that thread, post here