[Police brutality] American injustice, yet again.

Ragitsu

Well, over and above that, closed ranks is not unique to police or to Boston.  And it isn't remotely new.  Do we even need to go over the history?

So, look, it's heinous, but it doesn't to me say anything about the police per se, or about Boston.  It shows primarily that institutions cannot be relied upon to discipline themselves.

In other news...while we love to hate Marjorie Taylor Greene, can we also muzzle Maxine Waters?  Cripes, that asinine comment of hers could *readily* result in a retrial.  Judge denied a motion for a mistrial, but conceded they could be grounds for overturn on appeal.  NOT what *anyone* needs here.

Someone said it earlier...I'd hate being on this jury.

2 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Well, over and above that, closed ranks is not unique to police or to Boston.  And it isn't remotely new.  Do we even need to go over the history?

So, look, it's heinous, but it doesn't to me say anything about the police per se, or about Boston.  It shows primarily that institutions cannot be relied upon to discipline themselves.

Neither is this defense.

49 minutes ago, Old Man said:

No, I was surprised. 

We'll see how the inevitable appeal goes.

I’m not sure how that appeal will go, Maxine Waters should get a thank you note from the defense. The judge even commented.

That said, it was a reassuring verdict and I’m pleased to see the legal system work as intended in this aspect of a tragic loss of life.

1 hour ago, wcw43921 said:

Something I noted--Derek Chauvin didn't seem surprised. Did he finally realize he'd done something wrong? Or does he still believe he did what he was supposed to, and that public opinion combined with political pressure led to an "unjust" verdict?

I haven't yet watched the reading of the verdict.

I'd imagine the defense team advised him to not express any emotion, regardless of the outcome.

The public is going to read what they want into any reaction. And any strong reaction which provokes the public might work against him in appeals and/or the upcoming civil case.

It's also plausible the appeals court will nullify at least one charge, because the charges completely overlap each other.  The charges from NYT:

1) causing the death of a human being, without intent, while committing or attempting to commit an assault (second-degree murder);

2) unintentionally causing a death by committing an act that is eminently dangerous to other persons while exhibiting a depraved mind, with reckless disregard for human life (third-degree murder);

3) creating an unreasonable risk, by consciously taking the chance of causing death or great bodily harm to someone else (manslaughter).

So the first two feel like they address different aspects and could both stand.  #3 seems subsumed by #2 to me, so if that gets overturned on appeal, I'd be fine with that .  

Also somewhat interesting that the verdicts came down fairly quickly, or so it seems.  

10 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Yeah, the Murder 3 and the manslaughter seem to overlap a bit to me too.  The murder 2 seems entirely appropriate, though, and that's the biggie.

As I understand it, the way sentencing works in that state, you only get sentenced for the worst of the overlapping convictions. So he effectively just gets murder in the second. 

I am neither a lawyer nor a midwesterner, though, so this may not be completely accurate.