[Police brutality] American injustice, yet again.

Ragitsu

15 minutes ago, Old Man said:

As I understand it, the way sentencing works in that state, you only get sentenced for the worst of the overlapping convictions. So he effectively just gets murder in the second. 

I am neither a lawyer nor a midwesterner, though, so this may not be completely accurate.

Not from what I've read.  Sentencing guidelines would be 12.5 years for the 2 larger counts and 4 more years from the murder 3.  Plus, the reckless disregard would've needed separate proof.

NYT morning brief notes that this is only the 7th conviction of a police officer for murder since 2005.  Interesting article here:
https://www.vox.com/21497089/derek-chauvin-george-floyd-trial-police-prosecutions-black-lives-matter

10 hours ago, Old Man said:

As I understand it, the way sentencing works in that state, you only get sentenced for the worst of the overlapping convictions. So he effectively just gets murder in the second. 

I am neither a lawyer nor a midwesterner, though, so this may not be completely accurate.

From what lawyer friends have said to me, he's sentenced for all three, but concurrently so the most serious determines the length of time he'll serve. Multiple convictions make it increasingly unlikely he'll be able to get all the verdicts overturned, though. And according to one such friend, a successful appeal would have to find a direct link with a juror hearing Waters' comments, bringing them into the jury room, and allowing it to affect their decision. Just speculating that it *might* have influenced them isn't enough to win an appeal, no matter what the sitting judge said.

1 hour ago, Cygnia said:

I did a quick google, but I couldn't find it.

I remember a few years back reading a well-researched article demonstrating sharp rises in brutality complaints and police violence in almost every police department within days of his seminars.

Go figure.

1 hour ago, Duke Bushido said:

I remember a few years back reading a well-researched article demonstrating sharp rises in brutality complaints and police violence in almost every police department within days of his seminars.

Go figure.

https://www.thedailystar.com/news/local_news/protests-over-officer-involved-shooting-continue/article_d05e34e1-1495-5cff-8284-a82a808d8fec.html

Just google "dave grossman";  this particular link was in the News tab.  In the main tab, most of the hits are for Killology or his academy or the like.

2 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

Go figure.

I file that kind of stuff under "it's probably a good thing to know how to do but probably not a good thing to do".

Like rubbing two sticks together to make a fire: good thing to know how to do. Bad thing when you're doing it on your living room carpet using the legs from your chairs.

4 hours ago, archer said:

I file that kind of stuff under "it's probably a good thing to know how to do but probably not a good thing to do".

Like rubbing two sticks together to make a fire: good thing to know how to do. Bad thing when you're doing it on your living room carpet using the legs from your chairs.

But did the instructor teach any judgment to go along with his killing techniques?  I mean, I was taught how to dislocate someone's shoulder in aikido but I never felt the urge to actually go out and do it.

3 hours ago, Old Man said:

But did the instructor teach any judgment to go along with his killing techniques?  I mean, I was taught how to dislocate someone's shoulder in aikido but I never felt the urge to actually go out and do it.

The cops are all supposed to be taught judgment as part of their training before ever being allowed to go on to the streets.

Obviously many of them need a refresher on that training.

As for what this guy taught in the way of "using good judgment", I have no idea.

On 4/24/2021 at 4:17 PM, pinecone said:

How well that works depends on how white the driver is though...:(

I dated my first wife for two-and-a-half years before we "married." (We got engaged, and wanted to get married, but we both wanted everything to be perfect, and perfect never happens, and....)   We were "engaged" (see previous parenthetical) for almost nine years when lost the girls, then her.

It was nearly ten years later before I realized that in that twelve-year period, we were pulled over twice as many times as the entirety of my driving life without her.

That was when I started to really pay attention to things.

And while it is not the topic at hand, I would like to see prominent public officials point out that running away from the police is -  _nowhere in this country_- on the books as a capital crime.

You absolutely cannot go before a judge for evasion or resisting and be sentenced to death.

Only a police officer is allowed to do that.

5 hours ago, Cygnia said:

The part that concerns me the most in the story is the comment that numerous white supremacists have joined departments across the country.  Any single bad actor worries me less, because no screening system will be perfect.

But hey, looks like this one's out of circulation.

On 4/29/2021 at 2:50 PM, pinecone said:

This nonsense persists because it is not seen. Now it is.

Let's hope you're right, but there've been some other cases that have been caught on video, and the results have been minimal.  I'm hoping that, at the very least, these are acting like sledgehammer blows to a wall.  It may not look like much progress is really being made, but hopefully cracks are growing, and the wall's chipping.  Sooner or later that wall will be breached.

• 3 weeks later...