[Police brutality] American injustice, yet again.

Ragitsu

And they never will. Why? Because police and prosecutors are all collectively corrupt SOBs. The guy should thank the heavens the police didn't decide to go for a no-knock warrant that 'accidently' lead to his death. Such would be par for the course for most police it seems. 

La Rose. 

this is awfully broad brush.  YES some, far too many, are.  But stating ALL???

edit, sorry, weird sort of double post

The only thing worse than incompetent/corrupt/evil police officers are privatized incompetent/corrupt/evil police officers.

I am not sure they are that much worse.  Actually, I suspect they are not protected by the sovereign immunity laws and such, so should be EASIER to prosecute for misconduct, crimes, and corruption. 

I am not sure they are that much worse.  Actually, I suspect they are not protected by the sovereign immunity laws and such, so should be EASIER to prosecute for misconduct, crimes, and corruption. 

With privatized police, i suppose you could always cut coupons for grand theft auto, assault, B & E, etc.

Just imagine the savings!

So, a four on one and they couldn't control the guy? This "going for the gun" schtick isn't really credible considering he's already been faceplanted and the police wear retention holsters. There's no way in hell that guy is getting an officer's gun out from that position.

so the repeated orders to "drop the gun" were pre planned to excuse murdering him?    

so the repeated orders to "drop the gun" were pre planned to excuse murdering him?    

Possibly. If he actually got his hands on a gun, then perhaps just gross incompetence. I'll tell you right now he didn't get a gun out of a retention holster during that altercation. So, either someone had a gun out and let themselves be disarmed by the victim, or wasn't wearing a retention holster, or had a backup weapon that was accessible. Or they just yelled "drop the gun" and shot the guy. It's kind of hard to tell without better video.

In any case, if that many police can't restrain one person, then none of them need to be police.

Possibly. If he actually got his hands on a gun, then perhaps just gross incompetence. I'll tell you right now he didn't get a gun out of a retention holster during that altercation. So, either someone had a gun out and let themselves be disarmed by the victim, or wasn't wearing a retention holster, or had a backup weapon that was accessible. Or they just yelled "drop the gun" and shot the guy. It's kind of hard to tell without better video.

In any case, if that many police can't restrain one person, then none of them need to be police.

I generally agree.  I had a sheriff's deputy friend of mine let me try to remove his gun from his retention holster, and there was really only one way to do it and that way was nearly impossible to do from most positions, prone including.  I doubt they were shouting that as a pretext, but I also feel it is exceedingly unlikely that the shooting was justified.

this is awfully broad brush.  YES some, far too many, are.  But stating ALL???

I didn't say each police officer was. I did say "most" and that they are all collectively corrupt and I stick by that. I would safely wager that most cops (perhaps the vast majority) have done and / or are doing something illegal. Something that would get anyone of us locked up. There are countless stories accounting to this. And I think it is hard to claim that it is only a minority when so often the boys in blue do everything they can to cover up for each other. Their collective mindset is "protect ours" and not "protect the public". 

And it is hard to argue against that when you see stories like the above where 4 cops and 2 DA (IIRC) all went before a court to lie by swearing a man actually assaulted a cop in broad daylight in front of a court while everyone was watching. If so many cops are willing to lie to have a completely and utterly innocent man sent to jail for daring to "serve legal papers" to a cop, what do you think they are willing to do to everyone else? And if so many are willing to do it when the man is so obviously innocent, how many do you think are willing to commit lesser crimes when there is even less evidence that could be used against them. 

La Rose. 

Kurt, I heard an interesting bit on NPR about that. IIRC Apparently Ferguson's minicomputer all elections are held on a different cycle from any other elections, and the end result is almost all voters are white, and iirc upper middle class. Others could rarely get free to VOTE on an odd weekday. The fact that no state or national races were decided at the same time reduced turnout also.

It has been a couple months so my memory is cloudy.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/05/derek-cruice-shot-in-face_n_6805902.html

The insane War On Drugs has got to go, and cannabis needs to be legalized across this nation pronto.

Granted, the presence of the plant might (and I do stress "might") not have been the main impetus for sending S.W.A.T., but it seems like a stretch to say that it wasn't a key factor in their deployment.

So, why in the world was a SWAT team sent to serve a F*ing warrant? How is that considered something worthy of needing a SWAT team? Surely if SWAT is needed, then there must be a major violent crime in progress, right? Or at the very least the person needs to have a strong history of violence above and beyond the means for a single squad car of people.

I hope that police officer is fired and potentially tried and put into jail for murder. I also hope this encourages that community to decommission their SWAT groups since they obviously can't be trusted to not murder people.

La Rose.

Saddening article at the Atlantic Here

That's not the police acting like the "mob".

That is the Islamic State with the exception that the Ferguson Police Department never came around beheading people in public and gives a flying bown thing about religion. But with a little de-schooling in the American Constitution and a few "Ataboys!" I am sure that quite the majority of these so called "officers of the law" would also do that to the citizens of Ferguson - of course only if they have "probable cause" which means in Ferguson:

The victim is poor and black.

Not necessarily in that order.

Disgusting.

It is to no end infuriating how many of my fellow citizens with a severe jingoistic bent will talk about how great this country is before advocating certain changes that are starkly in opposition to the venerable legal document they would otherwise claim to love and protect.

Why, one could almost mistake them for unlearned zealots with a treehouse mentality...