[Police brutality] American injustice, yet again.

Ragitsu

Check out the full video at http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/08/us/south-carolina-officer-is-charged-with-murder-in-black-mans-death.html?_r=1

Especially the part at about 1:35 where the officer casually drops something next to the guy he shot.

Sheesh. I thought the broken tail light was cliche enough, but dropping a weapon by the body?

To point out the obvious: this is a rebirth of the Civil Rights movement. (Because most of the victims aren't "white").

And while I don't know the backgrounds of all of the people posting here, it's a pretty good indication that lots of "white" people are supportive of it.

Well freakin' done. Change the world. You've already started.

During his time on the force, two citizen complaints were filed against Slager. In 2013, a man said Slager shot him with a Taser for no reason. An internal investigation exonerated the officer of wrongdoing though the man was not a suspect in a crime. Earlier this year, his bosses sustained a complaint against Slager for not taking a police report when called to a neighbor disturbance.

http://news.yahoo.com/north-charleston-police-officer-michael-slager-didn-t-create-any-issues-nor-was-he-an-award-winner-035705817.html

I am sorry I cant link the story now but NYPD just got great press when one of their officers stole 2.5k from a,shop owner on camera during a cigarette raid. When asked to investigate the police just blew it off. Only now that the videotape has come out are they even thinking of looking at their cess pool and appeasing the public's natural desire to not be robbed.

La Rose.

Cigarette raid?

Does that mean that criminals were stealing cigarettes from a shop, and the cop showed up to stop them before pocketing 2.5 large as their policing fee, OR that the shop was being raided by the cop/s and the funds happened to find their way into an officer's cruiser?

Taxes on cigarettes are so high that some places sell under the counter cigarettes without tax. The NYPD have made it a priority to raid suspected businesses and cease the money for department use. This cop decided he didn't want to share it with his fellow theives/cops and kept it. The cops also ceased 600 'legally'.

La Rose.

Taxes on cigarettes are so high that some places sell under the counter cigarettes without tax. The NYPD have made it a priority to raid suspected businesses and cease the money for department use. This cop decided he didn't want to share it with his fellow theives/cops and kept it. The cops also ceased 600 'legally'.

La Rose.

I wish you would cease using the word "cease" when you mean "seize."

Lucius Alexander

I didn't understand what you were saying until a palindromedary explained it to me

I am sorry I cant link the story now but NYPD just got great press when one of their officers stole 2.5k from a,shop owner on camera during a cigarette raid. When asked to investigate the police just blew it off. Only now that the videotape has come out are they even thinking of looking at their cess pool and appeasing the public's natural desire to not be robbed.

La Rose.

NYPD.  Not really surprising, I am afraid.

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/philly-cops-challenge-black-college-student-pickup-basketball-game-and-arrest-him

This isn't brutality, per sé, but still a mighty dickish move that bends the rules till they're V-shaped.

On top of that, the cops took the olive branch that such a gesture extends...and snapped it right in half.

I saw that yesterday. Cops managed to go from finally acting like decent human beings to petty and alienating jerks. Lesson to learn: just like with your boss, let the fat and pathetic cops win. At least he didn't get shot for 'resisting arrest' or other fake charge. Imagine if this kid was at work and got dragged out just satisfy some cop's ego. That could have been the end of his job. Those cops ought to be fired.

La Rose.

I saw that yesterday. Cops managed to go from finally acting like decent human beings to petty and alienating jerks. Lesson to learn: just like with your boss, let the fat and pathetic cops win. At least he didn't get shot for 'resisting arrest' or other fake charge. Imagine if this kid was at work and got dragged out just satisfy some cop's ego. That could have been the end of his job. Those cops ought to be fired.

La Rose.

Of course they should, IF the kid is telling the whole truth.   It is potentially possible that they really did have some suspicion of him, that can be explained and justified. 

I doubt it, and Philadelphia has quite a history of Police brutality, iirc...

I've heard that police officers usually don't receive the best training or *any* training when dealing with the mentally disabled (and there are some homeless folk that don't have a full grasp on their sanity).

I have recieved exactly zero training for dealing with the mentally disabled. The service relies on personal discretion for something like that.

I have recieved exactly zero training for dealing with the mentally disabled. The service relies on personal discretion for something like that.

Not, imo, a particularly good plan.  

Though some who are so convinced Police are always overreacting might be well served to watch "Surviving Edged Weapons."

It certainly scared me.   

Of course they should, IF the kid is telling the whole truth. It is potentially possible that they really did have some suspicion of him, that can be explained and justified.

I doubt it, and Philadelphia has quite a history of Police brutality, iirc...

Yeah, I am sure that they will bring up that tip they got about how the kid that just publically schooled them just happened to have drugs or something in his car. Kinda like how that one cop happened to say the guy he just murdered stole his tazer.

I believe cops even less than I can throw them. Unless they have unedited video evidence it is generally safer to assume they are lieing.

La Rose.