[Police brutality] American injustice, yet again.

Ragitsu

Why was a cop firing anything at a subdued individual? Sounds like an old rich white guy wanted to get his rock off by shooting some black guy to me. That also sounds like a crime and all his corrupt buddies are covering for him. Fire and arrest the lot.

La Rose.

Dont know if this would constitute police brutality. The cops were out numbered 4 to 1.

It's the opposite of police brutality.  I note that the perpetrators were of a different ethnic makeup than the sort of people who have been getting shot in the back lately.  Correlation, or causality?

It's the opposite of police brutality. I note that the perpetrators were of a different ethnic makeup than the sort of people who have been getting shot in the back lately. Correlation, or causality?

Which probably explains why this video isnt getting national press. Its a fascinating video to watch, but its not controversial in the fact that there were no minorities involved and the police look to be the ones at a disadvantage here.

Which probably explains why this video isnt getting national press. Its a fascinating video to watch, but its not controversial in the fact that there were no minorities involved and the police look to be the ones at a disadvantage here.

Did an officer fire from his knees at about 3:18?    The members of the family appeared to claim to surrender, then attack again multiple times.  

Reports I have read indicate it started when the "Family" assaulted a Walmart employee inside,  

I confess, My initial thought is that the family are North Idaho Nutjobs, but that is my personal prejudice.   Growing up within 40 miles of Hayden lake has lead me to certain assumptions.  

Actually, I am surprised more of them were not shot.  I may be WAY out of line, but it looks to me like the officers used a hell of a lot more restraint than some would have.   

That's why they're police officers: they're supposed to have restraint beyond what a typical civilian (even a self-proclaimed experienced civilian gun owner) has.

Recent news stories make the level of restraint I tend to expect of them seem rare.  

Sadly.  

I didn't watch the whole Wally World video, but it looks like they attempted to use hands and sticks after verbal orders failed. Assuming they didn't have more backup to send, I think I'd have simply hosed all the idiots down with pepper spray rather than getting in the middle of a melee like that.

It sounds like they used both pepper spray and tasers.   Neither is 100% effective...

Can tasers ignite the solution used in pepper spray?

In the old formulations, yes.   When I took a pepper spray course in about 93 or 94, they told us that there had been ONE fatality from pepper spray.

Officers who were never re-trained when they transitioned from Mace to pepper spray saturated the chest of a subject in it, as that is what they did with their old stuff. 

Then a taser was used.   IIRC the variety of Pepper spray they had used alcohol as the solvent, and the subject did not survive. 

It sounds like they used both pepper spray and tasers.   Neither is 100% effective...

Ah, OK. Like I said, I didn't have time to look at the whole thing, thanks. As far as effectiveness, I heard (in relation to yet another police incident) that Tasers fail a third of the time. I'm not sure if that's accurate or not (mass media news), but it does make sense, b/c both tines have to hit for them to work.

Ah, OK. Like I said, I didn't have time to look at the whole thing, thanks. As far as effectiveness, I heard (in relation to yet another police incident) that Tasers fail a third of the time. I'm not sure if that's accurate or not (mass media news), but it does make sense, b/c both tines have to hit for them to work.

And I have seen a basic statistic that 10% of the population is nearly immune to pepper spray.   More in communities where HOT food is common, such as Thai

One's resistance to hot food has nothing to do with one's ability to withstand pepper spray. There's a huge difference between how the tongue reacts to capsaicin and how mucous membranes do.

That said, the last time someone sprayed me with some, it wasn't effective at slowing me down in the least. I have a high-ish pain tolerance, and having been exposed to CS chambers and grenades in the military, I didn't freak out over the snot dump and the swollen eyes.

No pain compliance technique is 100%, because there's always someone out there who can shrug it off. That's why Tasers became so popular. They're about the only less lethal device available that doesn't rely on pain to shut someone down, they simply flip the switch for you. As handy as that is, they're still only "less lethal" and can kill all by their lonesome, or indirectly cause death by promoting incompetence as more and more police rely on the Taser these days and skip over other options for controlling subjects.

Yes one can fight through pepper spray. They spray us with it at the academy to show us how much it hurts and that you can fight through it. The pain is distracting but tolerable (i have a fairly high pain tolerance as well) but the tearing up and burning of the eyes is the most distracting, making it very difficult to see through.

Someone who is drugged up or working on adrenaline wont be stopped by it in the slightest.

So then it is the old billy-club-to-the-brain-case-routine again, proven effective since the Stone Age.

But let's hear from the experts:

Nook-Nook (Travelling Huntsman, Cave 9): "Bash! Always works!"

Leif Snorrison (Haithabuian Raider): "A great tactic when I forgot to bring me broadsword."

Abdullah al Bakr (Mornigstar-Swinger, Andalusia): "Makes infidels  pray to Allah!"

Hans von Steding (North-German Mercenary, currently with the Swedish Army): "I have always been a clubbing person."

Blue Eagle (Ompapah Sioux Chieftain): "Turns the head of Custer into a cluster (of bumps)."

Peter Müller (Weimar Communist, Rotfrontkämpferbund): "SA, SS or Stahlhelm - that makes them think again."

So we see: The correct answer to the question that everybody has forgotten about after the club found its target.

One's resistance to hot food has nothing to do with one's ability to withstand pepper spray. There's a huge difference between how the tongue reacts to capsaicin and how mucous membranes do.

That said, the last time someone sprayed me with some, it wasn't effective at slowing me down in the least. I have a high-ish pain tolerance, and having been exposed to CS chambers and grenades in the military, I didn't freak out over the snot dump and the swollen eyes.

No pain compliance technique is 100%, because there's always someone out there who can shrug it off. That's why Tasers became so popular. They're about the only less lethal device available that doesn't rely on pain to shut someone down, they simply flip the switch for you. As handy as that is, they're still only "less lethal" and can kill all by their lonesome, or indirectly cause death by promoting incompetence as more and more police rely on the Taser these days and skip over other options for controlling subjects.

I have seen multiple references to people who regularly consume lots of Red peppers in their food having a higher tolerance to OC, but I have not researched to see if this is only anecdotal.