[Police brutality] American injustice, yet again.

Ragitsu

Brutality done right.

A drunk was going southbound in the northbound lanes of 52. He clips a car and keeps going. The police put on the lights to pull him over. He wouldn't stop so one officer rammed his Suv and rolled it. The drunk is getting charged with DUI, failure to stop, hit and run, driving without a license

The officers are deskbound until the SBI does its investigation on use of force. I'm sure they will be cleared.

CES

So did he do a "bump" or did he ram it?  two rather different tactics.  

We have about a hundred posts a month discussing American cops brutalizing and killing civilians, with no end in sight. What the hell, man? In only two incidents have any cops been arrested.  Seriously, what the hell?

Try counting up the convictions. Or even the disciplinary actions.

We have about a hundred posts a month discussing American cops brutalizing and killing civilians, with no end in sight. What the hell, man? In only two incidents have any cops been arrested.  Seriously, what the hell?

I really wish a viable presidential candidate would tackle this issue as part of their primary campaign promises...but i'll not hold my breath. Seriously taking on police brutality (and, by extension, the horribly maladjusted justice system we have) would also mean dealing with (ceasing, in other words) the failed "War on Drugs" not to mention the prison-industrial complex that has an under-the-table stranglehold on many politicians.

Other nations, particularly the UK, show that you can have a law enforcement institution that doesn't treat it's citizens like an occupied people. It is impossible to believe we can't work toward and achieve something even halfway as amicable in terms of civilian-cop relationships.

Well, in my old school one 5th grader was handcuffed by police-officers. Before that had to be restained by TWO (male) teachers becuase he was punching and kicking and spitting left and right while he was shouting profanities at everybody, even the female officer after being handcuffed.

There was something "wrong" with his medicamentation.

He got halfway to his senses as soon as he was handcuffed and qhite helpless and saw that cussing at the police (and even begging) got him nowhere.

I would just like to know - not judging the case in Kentucky - how anyone would like to handle that problem without restaining the kid. You are of course enot supposed to hit the child, but as a teacher, human being and citizen I am also not supposed to stand there and gett spit on, kicked and insulted and just say "There, there! Now be a good boy, pretty please."

Some kids are some kind of work and while I am not advocating calling the police to treat unruly pupils, it all looks so easy from the outside.

It is called "Western civilization 21st century style".

In former, less enlightened time they would just have said "Watch out when you run - and now stop crying. Maybe mommy buys you an ice-cream." Or the other mother would have shouted and hit the other mother (mama-bear-all-out-wresting). Or they would just have gone home.

Now, since you are not supposed to attack anyone and talking doesn't get you anywhere (especially since an honest apology is not considered "enough" any more) you call the police.

All the time! Sue everybody!

At least they stopped beating each other.

Seems to be the same in the States as in Germany: There is no "right" or "wrong" in bringing-up a child any more, manners are in constant flux and "Your milage may vary but I am right and it is MY WAY (and there is the highway)!" And so you need the police as an arbitrater for all and everything.

Even childplay.

That's what's really sad about it. And the even sadder thing. I think it will get worse.

I would call it commentary rather than news. It's an example of irrational racial bias that adversely affects a significant cross-section of the population. Plenty of other anecdotes out there of people of color visiting certain neighborhoods and having the cops called on them.

My point is that we have no way of knowing this. The woman was clearly disturbed, and it may have had nothing whatsoever to do with race. An example is something concrete. This was not concrete, it was conjecture.

That story, while interesting, I don't think adds to this thread in anyway, Mega. There is no clear (or even foggy) police overstepping. There wouldn't seem to be amy clear (or even foggy) sexism or racism at play. Is it your desire to simply provide a more positive image of the police? If so, I believe we can find better examples than this.

Foreign Orchid.

I think it's about the intersection of racial bias and state authority. Even at a very early age, a certain segment of the population finds black people threatening. Some of them are even enrolled in law enforcement agencies. If a 3 year old can get someone worked up enough to call the cops, imagine the plight of the average young adult black male.