[Police brutality] American injustice, yet again.

Ragitsu

The plea deal for Lee Baca was thrown out according to the paper. Defense and Prosecution cut a deal over the fact that Baca tried to stop an investigation into the LA jail, obstruct justice, trained his deputies on how to do the same while beating the inmates hard enough to put them in the hospital. He has early onset Alzheimer's and is 74.

The judge said six months is not enough time for the crimes involved and sent the deal back.

it looks like a trial will be called to settle it.

CES 

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/bullet-that-struck-caregiver-was-meant-to-protect-him-police-union-president-says/ar-BBuCQMF?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=UP97DHP

Looks like the officer has admitted fault.  He may be a good cop but I'm curious how he made the SWAT team with that kind of marksmanship.

Well, based on the description of events given by John Rivera of the Miami-Dade’s Police Benevolent Association, the solution seems obvious.  Clearly, they need to issue each officer a single bullet and have strictly enforced regulations that the bullet be kept in the officer's pocket at all times.

More and more districts are insisting that officers wear a portable camera that records every thing they do while on duty. As a result, if there are people around or not, that camera will record the entire event. The court can call it in and use it, regardless of which side it supports.

Baltimore Police Used Force 2,818 Times In Six Years. They Found One Violation.

WASHINGTON ― The Baltimore Police Department routinely abused residents’ civil rights, performed unconstitutional searches, retaliated against individuals exercising free-speech rights and failed to hold cops accountable for misconduct, according to a damning federal report.

The Justice Department report, to be formally released on Wednesday, confirms what some Baltimore residents already know ― that Baltimore police routinely and disproportionately stop, frisk and arrest poor black residents without legal justification.

• 10 months later...

You left out the "with knife" part there. Two, according to the article.

Seattle needs to look at its requirements for less lethal force. According to local radio, Seattle PD officers have a choice of carrying (at least, I assume, since I've seen cops carrying all three in Seattle) one of three less lethal options (Taser, pepper spray, baton). Both officers appear to have chosen baton. A reason given by several officers interviewed by the local talk radio guy is legal complications for Taser (stats showing more likely to be sued), and pepper spray blowback. IMO, both of those reasons are BS, but they seem to be the prevailing reasoning of officers in Seattle given the choice of what to carry.

IMO, police should be required to carry either the pepper spray or Taser in addition to the baton. You don't fight a knife with a baton. In this case, I probably would have myself, but it's unreasonable to ask officers to risk getting knifed by going into melee with a knife. That only left these officers with their sidearms as a response. I think had they had pepper spray or a Taser, they could have settled it with no loss of life.

Exactly.  The woman in question was flagged as dangerous, which is why two officers responded in the first place, yet they didn't bring any appropriate equipment.

I'm still waiting to see if the knife claims are corroborated in any way.  Yes, I am that jaded.

Exactly.  The woman in question was flagged as dangerous, which is why two officers responded in the first place, yet they didn't bring any appropriate equipment.

I'm still waiting to see if the knife claims are corroborated in any way.  Yes, I am that jaded.

Still a policy issue rather than a case of police brutality, assuming she was armed.

How are they supposed to keep up their task of committing a quarter of the homicides in the city if they actually carry appropriate nonlethal equpment?

With due respect to the late, lamented Lapsedgamer, I am a Seattle voter and I am on the verge of saying fire every last one of them and hiring a new force of people who weren't trained in a right-wing paramilitary camp. I'm not sure that there are any police training facilities that aren't that way; there was a newspaper story that suggested there were none in Washington state.