[Police brutality] American injustice, yet again.

Ragitsu

1 hour ago, csyphrett said:

I dont how much of this is true because it was on Wikipedia, but the Times say that they have a reconstruction based on the footage on youtube

At 8:17, a third police car arrived, with officers Derek Michael Chauvin and Tou Thao. They walked over to assist Kueng and Lane.[6]:3:32[9]:3:27[44] Around 8:18, security footage from Cup Foods shows Kueng struggling with Floyd for at least a minute in the driver's side backseat while Thao watches.[6]:3:54[9]:3:49 A criminal complaint filed against Chauvin alleges Floyd refused to enter the car, even after officers moved him from the driver's side to the passenger side.[6]:4:00[9]:3:15 At 8:19, standing on the passenger's side of the vehicle, Chauvin pulled Floyd across the backseat, from the driver's side to the passenger's side, and out of the car, causing Floyd to fall onto the ground, where, still handcuffed, he lay on the pavement.[9]:3:56[44] Floyd stopped moving around 8:20.[6]:4:10 

Officer Thao (one of the two rookies of the four) also repeatedly asked whether they should turn Floyd over while they were suffocating him.  Which means they all knew what they were doing was wrong.

Interesting if true: What if the Mueller investigation was just a decoy? (click "Show This Thread")

McCabe’s stroke of genius was to bifurcate the investigation of Trump into two pieces: a criminal investigation by Robert Mueller, and a counterintelligence investigation by the FBI. 

The *trick* though was that McCabe apparently didn’t tell anyone there were two investigations.

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

Officer Thao (one of the two rookies of the four) also repeatedly asked whether they should turn Floyd over while they were suffocating him.  Which means they all knew what they were doing was wrong.

Probably not Thao. The city had to pay a settlement because he broke someone's face. Probably Kueng.

Kueng and Lane had an umblemished record before this. Thao busted someone up. And Chauvin got away with murdering someone and had a dozen complaints made against him.

CES

On 6/3/2020 at 5:53 PM, Hermit said:

Who knew these guys would melt like a witch from oz if hydrated?

A thrown water bottle can cause serious injuries. It still has its mass. The instigators up here have been bringing frozen water bottles, which brings it to the next level.

Not that I'm buying the excuse for abusing medical workers.

2 hours ago, TrickstaPriest said:

I'm posting this because I'm not sure anyone can spin this more than the basic facts and video show, regardless of source

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/06/05/buffalo-officers-suspended-shoving-man/

"Wah! We're going to quit the Emergency Response because a couple of us got suspended for cracking an old man's head open! Wah!"

There are things I would like to say about this, so many things.

CES 

1 hour ago, Pattern Ghost said:

A thrown water bottle can cause serious injuries. It still has its mass. The instigators up here have been bringing frozen water bottles, which brings it to the next level.

Fair enough! I don't buy it either, but denying facts doesn't help anyone so.. the more you know.

7 minutes ago, csyphrett said:

"Wah! We're going to quit the Emergency Response because a couple of us got suspended for cracking an old man's head open! Wah!"

There are things I would like to say about this, so many things.

This is happening because of their need of solidarity, which is understandable in most situations, but I'd argue this situation is exactly the sort of thing you don't want to do this on.

It sort of cuts back to my thoughts/stance that - if the police feel they are being pushed around (at all), they can simply walk away - which will completely let crappy looters and other instigators hijack everything and cause even more damage.  They can then walk back and say 'see you need us'.

Except in this case that relationship is also abusive.  They feel they are being abused, and sometimes they are, but that feeling of victimization is not just held by victims... and the construction of the 'blue wall' to defend 'everything and everyone' is, in this case, literally making the police to claim their actions were 'justified' and is making this problem much worse.  It's them throwing gasoline on the fire, where the rioting is going to get worse, pitting police against protesters, citizens against citizens, and now state against military.

6 minutes ago, Hermit said:
1 hour ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Fair enough! I don't buy it either, but denying facts doesn't help anyone so.. the more you know.

Yeah, a water bottle can cause a fair bit of harm.  More so if its frozen I imagine.  But they are also essential for the people out there. 

So destroying the supplies of water is not exactly a great marker to me, even if they (the police) feel it's essential.  They can do it because they also probably know it'll put the pressure on the protest itself and shut it down quicker - good in that it's a "soft approach" to doing so... but again falls into my "protest is dead" rhetoric. 

The tools required are simply being stripped away, the opposition game is extremely strong, and misinformation is king.

I'm concerned with the people leaving out bricks.  I remember hearing the suggestion that people were recommending this as an approach to make it harder for cars to drive through protesters - they can't bum rush a car through a group of people if they can't get speed.  Obviously this wasn't thought out well, and I wonder if the idea was proposed maliciously to begin with (to damage people, the protest, or whatever), or just terribly thought out.

7 minutes ago, TrickstaPriest said:

This is happening because of their need of solidarity, which is understandable in most situations, but I'd argue this situation is exactly the sort of thing you don't want to do this on.

It sort of cuts back to my thoughts/stance that - if the police feel they are being pushed around (at all), they can simply walk away - which will completely let crappy looters and other instigators hijack everything and cause even more damage.  They can then walk back and say 'see you need us'.

Except in this case that relationship is also abusive.  They feel they are being abused, and sometimes they are, but that feeling of victimization is not just held by victims... and the construction of the 'blue wall' to defend 'everything and everyone' is, in this case, literally making the police to claim their actions were 'justified' and is making this problem much worse.  It's them throwing gasoline on the fire, where the rioting is going to get worse, pitting police against protesters, citizens against citizens, and now state against military.

They didn't quit the police force, just their unit. I would rather they quit the police force altogether. Let other people have a shot.

CES  

48 minutes ago, csyphrett said:

They didn't quit the police force, just their unit. I would rather they quit the police force altogether. Let other people have a shot.

I literally did suggest (edit: in another conversation) that protesters who have the skills should apply.  I do have some discontent that being in a protest might wash them out more than having ties to certain rural paramilitary camps...

Someone with more knowledge actually pointed to me that the hiring process for police often washes out candidates who score too well on aptitude and psych tests.  I would not mind knowing if there is any truth to that, but I'm not quite that cynical yet.