[Police brutality] American injustice, yet again.

Ragitsu

5 hours ago, massey said:

Or you aim impossibly high and fail utterly, accomplishing nothing, instead of trying something that's actually achievable.

This can be true in negociational situations, where you demand everything and refuse to budge.  But as long as you recognize that progress towards the goal is what this is about, then you can achieve.  Not quickly, probably not steadily, but you can achieve, unless the resistance to change is greater than the force attempting to make the change.  (Gun laws would be an example.)

https://portcitydaily.com/local-news/2020/06/24/fired-wilmington-cop-we-are-just-going-to-go-out-and-start-slaughtering-them-f-ni-i-cant-wait-god-i-cant-wait-free-read/?fbclid=IwAR2rQ5D5Fyq6qgTRpdU6clh8a_7iOY_AUDe76SvfMAxywUnUPZVnoGzVVgM

Just a few thousand bushels of bad apples.  

The most disturbing thing is that this was only picked up via random accidental recording and we have no idea how many cops say stuff like this as a matter of routine.  But it's obviously non-zero and not necessarily a rare or uncommon sentiment.  Things need to change.  

8 hours ago, megaplayboy said:

https://portcitydaily.com/local-news/2020/06/24/fired-wilmington-cop-we-are-just-going-to-go-out-and-start-slaughtering-them-f-ni-i-cant-wait-god-i-cant-wait-free-read/?fbclid=IwAR2rQ5D5Fyq6qgTRpdU6clh8a_7iOY_AUDe76SvfMAxywUnUPZVnoGzVVgM

Just a few thousand bushels of bad apples.  

The most disturbing thing is that this was only picked up via random accidental recording and we have no idea how many cops say stuff like this as a matter of routine.  But it's obviously non-zero and not necessarily a rare or uncommon sentiment.  Things need to change.  

Literally the 'a civil war is coming' rhetoric is something that I find extremely concerning.  If a number of police officers decide to do what was going on in Mexico, I don't think anyone in control of the current political situation is going to push against that.  I'm not even sure the people in control of the police stations will stop it.

Ordinary citizens will -not- stand up for each other in that kind of violence.  It does not happen.  It did not happen in Germany (it is a valid example of house-to-house violence), it will not happen here.

The only ones who might are associated with the army, and I'm not sure they'll move without orders.  And that'll be days, if not weeks, too late.

20 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

When you tie that to the 'brotherhoods/gangs' post earlier, you begin to see why there might be real fears about police behavior and brutality.

Planting drugs is a thing.  Police in Florida were recorded talking about how much they liked doing it.

Take a minute to think how much it does to a single family, to have that happen once.  Emotionally and financially.

Then think about what happens to a community that has even a single police officer doing this, even just once a month.  Over the course of ten years.

A single bad officer can crush an entire community into poverty for multiple generations this way.

It's not a surprise to me that people feel upset.  It's not universal, but where it's a problem, it's an incredibly impossible problem to solve.

19 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

In the long term order isn't maintained by laws, or by force, or by fear. Order is maintained when the majority of citizens believe in the rightness of the system they live under. If that belief is lost, chaos is just a matter of time.

I think this nails it on the head. For me, I've thought this about American society for a while now. Capitalism has created a country where most get very little while others get everything and are expected to be okay with that.

Someone took a Clash song and put all these photos of police brutality on them. One of them was the guy at Berkley spraying sitting protestors with mace/pepper spray as he walked along. You might have to verify age

You have three rights. You have the right not to be killed unless its by a policeman or an aristocrat

On 6/25/2020 at 4:48 PM, Lord Liaden said:

In the long term order isn't maintained by laws, or by force, or by fear. Order is maintained when the majority of citizens believe in the rightness of the system they live under. If that belief is lost, chaos is just a matter of time.

On 6/26/2020 at 12:12 PM, Dr. MID-Nite said:

I think this nails it on the head. For me, I've thought this about American society for a while now. Capitalism has created a country where most get very little while others get everything and are expected to be okay with that.

I won't get too political on this, but this is how Populism works (regardless of 'side').

The difference in how the police are treated _in the specific realm of this populism politics_ tend to be whether they are viewed as 'protectors of society' or 'protectors of elite', and whether those are good or bad things entirely.

But America isn't the only problem with officers like this, as a certain story from Ontario (Canada?) appears to have gone around.  Unless I'm particularly misconstruing.

4 hours ago, Cygnia said:

Yeah, it's almost like the atmosphere from the top is 'get people who don't like us killed' 😕

40 minutes ago, Badger said:

Much of the attitude of police I keep seeing seems to be more An attitude "If they don't want us in their neighborhood then fine. But don't bother to call us, you just have to fend for yourself"

Literally that attitude is "if you want the services 90% of your city's budget goes to then you have to put up with us planting evidence or beating people we don't like and us putting toy guns on kids we accidentally shoot so we don't have to see a courtroom."

My reply might have been harsh - this isn't an endemic problem in every city, but it is a major problem in cities with a huge black population.  Baltimore, for example.

Even outside of that, I know quite a few people who've been mistreated by officers.  This is everything from highway patrol going "you don't deserve to be in the military!  I'm going to call your CO!" to literal "tell us the black kids at the party brought the drugs and we'll let you off, kid".

Even in 'the good ones' we've seen quite a few cities with issues when 'push comes to shove'.  Slashed tires and smashed windows, people attacked out of the blue because emotions ran hot on a protest line, etc.  But this is nothing compared to police unions literally negotiating 'special powers and privileges' to make it impossible to track bad behavior from specific officers.  I'm sure we've seen by now that thread about an Ontario officer -trying- to report bad behavior, and being mistreated at every single authority level for it, even to the point of being threatened by death.  Even in 'good' cities, that level of obstruction can exist. 

I think it's worth seeing just how many cities use these laws to cover for their officers, I think it's worth seeing how many cases there are of this level of malfeasance.  And that, specifically, is what's incensing officers to use the government-granted authority to use violence (or withdraw protection), for daring to be upset about that.

Almost all of the money that goes from you to your city goes into police budgets.  If they want to say "if you don't like it, we won't protect you", for those on this thread please imagine that coming from your government.  That might help you understand how someone else feels about that.  "If you don't like the job we do, we'll stop allowing you to buy from the stores that exist only because of our government.  We'll tell police not to go to your neighborhood.  Go get supplies on your own.  You want a home loan?  Too bad, you were in a protest."  Think about that message, please.

Well I wasn't bothered by it.  Not sure I Agreed (At least wholesale, might be more complicated the reasons, and not one to fit in one post).  But it is a wholly negative attitude that needs to be gotten rid of.  It is one reason I am not critical of all the police resignations.  If this what your attitude, regardless of the reason, it is time to quit.  You would serve the people by being gone.

I failed to snag the link (phone copied a link to an add on the site instead), but you can probably find it with a quick Google. 

Anyway, I just finished an article about a "violin vigil" being held for a young man killed by police.  The police arrived with their sprays and gasses and body armor and government-issued skull bats to break it up.  Violently, of course. 

2 hours ago, Badger said:

Well I wasn't bothered by it.  Not sure I Agreed (At least wholesale, might be more complicated the reasons, and not one to fit in one post)

Understood.  I definitely don't think drawing fighting lines helps discourse.  Hopefully it can establish that discourse is necessary, because the only other way is for the communities to manage this on their own.  I don't think an individual community has any real power or influence in those situations either, so...

2 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

I failed to snag the link (phone copied a link to an add on the site instead), but you can probably find it with a quick Google. 

Anyway, I just finished an article about a "violin vigil" being held for a young man killed by police.  The police arrived with their sprays and gasses and body armor and government-issued skull bats to break it up.  Violently, of course. 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/29/elijah-mcclain-colorado-police

On 6/26/2020 at 2:12 PM, Dr. MID-Nite said:

Man, I don't know.  I work a pretty middle class job and live in a middle class neighborhood and own two-thirds of my house now.  And it puts me about double of what I'd need to be in the top 10% of all people on Earth.  And between my wife, daughter and I I'm sure we've spent a LOT over the years on medical bills (after insurance) so it would be quite easy to have more with a little luck in the health department.

Middle class.  House not even paid off (single story, nothing special).

If you have a net $4,300 in assets - not cash - assets.  You're richer than half the planet.

Even the poor in America have it pretty good compared to the rest of the planet.  We have had it really good for a few decades in America.  REALLY good.