[Police brutality] American injustice, yet again.

Ragitsu

And in the going too far section of the news today:  Hakim Littleton.

Police pull up to execute a warrant on a guy wanted for THREE homicides.  As they are arresting the man, Hakim decides to pull out a pistol and take a head shot at the nearest cop.  He misses and the cops, not liking being shot at, shoot him.

This results in a protest!  It's so bad the police end up releasing video of the incident (dash and badge cams) and the protesters don't care!?

Remember when George Floyd and Breona Taylor kicked this whole thing off and we were looking at like 99% buy in from the public?  Almost universal agreement that George Floyd was murdered and that no-knock warrants are intolerable.

Now they're protesting because a wannabe cop killer died while shooting at cops.  Insane. 

This kind of thing will derail broad public support and eventually lead to nothing changing.

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/crowd-gathers-at-scene-where-man-was-shot-and-killed-by-police-on-detroits-west-side

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/detroit-police-release-graphic-videos-of-man-firing-on-officers-before-being-fatally-shot

1 hour ago, ScottishFox said:

This kind of thing will derail broad public support and eventually lead to nothing changing.

Uh huh. When it comes to matters of progress (and a group that champions a particular sort of progress), focusing on outliers/extreme points-of-view as a means of discrediting the majority is a time-honored tactic.

Police in America have gotten away with too much for too long. The black community in general is unwilling to give them the benefit of the doubt. But I don't think this is going to derail anything. Overwhelming evidence of police abusing their authority, and being protected by the system, has come to light and been given a very high profile. Those who refuse to let their anger be assuaged by evidence in specific instances, and those who would use those instances as a justification for their abuses, are playing to zealots on each side, whose positions were already set in stone. The broader public has been forcefully apprised of the situation now, and that genie isn't going back in the bottle.

37 minutes ago, Ragitsu said:

Uh huh. When it comes to matters of progress (and a group that champions a particular sort of progress), focusing on outliers/extreme points-of-view as a means of discrediting the majority is a time-honored tactic.

I like pointing to extremes to show where we don't want to go.  Keeping things in a moderate middle area is important.  The extremes on both sides of the issue are very bad places that we do not want to go to.

Defund all police?  This will result in anarchy, death and mass destruction.

Support police no matter what they do?  This results in tyranny and a justice system that destroys lives and lacks justice.

As it relates to the current BLM protests.  Pushing for police reform and justice system reform is very good.  They cannot get rid of no-knock warrants fast enough.

I was all on-board with the early cases. 

Charging the cop in the Rayshard Brooks situation with murder for following the Atlanta PD guidelines for force was a brake-pumper for me.  Was there cause for concern?  Yes.  Could it have gone better?  Yes.

But a murder charge?  Too much.

This last one?  I can't support this one at all and if you're somehow supportive of protests against police shooting someone who is shooting at them while they arrest a triple-homicide suspect then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

And I want progress.  I want a more Norwegian style of incarceration and I want dirty cops to enjoy real justice.

On 7/14/2020 at 1:56 PM, Lord Liaden said:

Police in America have gotten away with too much for too long. The black community in general is unwilling to give them the benefit of the doubt. But I don't think this is going to derail anything. Overwhelming evidence of police abusing their authority, and being protected by the system, has come to light and been given a very high profile. Those who refuse to let their anger be assuaged by evidence in specific instances, and those who would use those instances as a justification for their abuses, are playing to zealots on each side, whose positions were already set in stone. The broader public has been forcefully apprised of the situation now, and that genie isn't going back in the bottle.

I really hope you're right. Americans, imo, have a tendency to let apathy settle in fast even when outrage is justified. 

On 7/14/2020 at 10:14 PM, csyphrett said:

Has anything happened about the guy who got killed by the sheriffs department in Los Angeles? 

CES

3 hours ago, BoloOfEarth said:

I'm afraid you'll have to be a bit more specific.  There were two within 2 days.

I'm pretty sure csyphrett was referring to Andres Guardado.  Here is the Wikipedia article on the killing.  It is seems to be fairly up to date.

Link

13 hours ago, csyphrett said:

He reached for a firearm so I shot him, and then I shot him four more times while he was bleeding from the first time I shot him. Why does the LASD still exist? Let the LAPD take the section over and fire everyone from the Sheriff down. 

CES

That's a start, then fire at least half of the LAPD.

Right now Portland appears to be in a sort of martial law. Federal officers in combat gear with no identification appear to be taking protesters off the street at random. They're not talking to city government or even Portland police, and nobody seems to be sure quite where the "suspects" are taken.

This scares the Hell out of me.

Right now Portland appears to be in a sort of martial law. Federal officers in combat gear with no identification appear to be taking protesters off the street at random. They're not talking to city government or even Portland police, and nobody seems to be sure quite where the "suspects" are taken.

9 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

It's not even clear whether they're actually law enforcement. 

They're DHS according to Acting Director Wolf. The problem is they are dumping these people at the courthouse with no charges. So essentially the federal government is committing a federal crime for reasons when the city of Portland has already said GTFO, and the courts have already said they can't do some of the stuff they have been doing

CES  

10 hours ago, csyphrett said:

They're DHS according to Acting Director Wolf. The problem is they are dumping these people at the courthouse with no charges. So essentially the federal government is committing a federal crime for reasons when the city of Portland has already said GTFO, and the courts have already said they can't do some of the stuff they have been doing

CES  

DHS is barely disguised Gestapo at this point...

10 hours ago, csyphrett said:

CES  

50 minutes ago, Dr. MID-Nite said:

DHS is barely disguised Gestapo at this point...

And that it's happening in Portland seems to reduce what should be the national shock of seeing a group of quasi-legal soldiers personally loyal to Donald Trump ruining around doing what they do. And some people seem to actually approve, though few at best are in Portland proper.

10 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

And that it's happening in Portland seems to reduce what should be the national shock of seeing a group of quasi-legal soldiers personally loyal to Donald Trump ruining around doing what they do. And some people seem to actually approve, though few at best are in Portland proper.

This really feels like a trial run.  There's no point to kidnapping run of the mill protesters, questioning them at an undisclosed location, and then releasing them without charge.  It might serve to intimidate and provoke, but that doesn't seem like sufficient justification to unleash the brownshirts.