[Police brutality] American injustice, yet again.

Ragitsu

14 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

In my part of town, little to nothing is happening and it's astrounding how normal things are compared to what people see on the news.

Why I figured I'd ask.  I knew there had to be enough going on to get the Federal Government involved in the first place, but the rest I wasn't sure about.

2 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

In my part of town, little to nothing is happening and it's astrounding how normal things are compared to what people see on the news.

The same footage of a fire gets played over and over and people across the country think P-Town is burning down.

That’s the power of selective coverage. Corporate media will always gravitate to whatever footage is exciting. On top of that certain stations go far out of their way to show only violence perpetuated by minority civilians, and then give plenty of air time to self-serving messages from law enforcement. As always the biggest casualty is the truth. 

Missouri just had an interesting spin.  Mr. and Mrs. Richie McGunHandlingFail have just become the victims of prosecutorial malfeasance.

The wife's handgun was inoperable.  It was used as a prop in a case of theirs previously and they had had it disabled by putting the firing pin and firing pin spring into the gun in the wrong order.

The local prosecution team had the gun taken apart and reassembled correctly before they pressed charges since they wouldn't be able to charge her if the gun was inoperable.

That'll certainly help with public confidence in a fair and speedy trial by local authorities.

46 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

That is deplorable. But how many people have been shot while brandishing a prop gun?

She may escape charges, but she's still an irresponsible idiot.

You're not wrong.

Still, I'm far more concerned about the prosecution manufacturing evidence so they can push charges.  That has ramifications for the entire community.  Mr.  and Mrs. BadWithGuns are only a threat to people breaking into their property.  That's a much smaller group of people.

Corrupt prosecution teams are the same kind of super-evil that dirty cops are.  They are charged with enforcing justice and are instead working to destroy it.  A jumpy old couple that got scared and went for their firearms before earning national fame as the worst gun handlers in recent history are not a threat to society.

3 hours ago, Old Man said:

That’s the power of selective coverage. Corporate media will always gravitate to whatever footage is exciting. On top of that certain stations go far out of their way to show only violence perpetuated by minority civilians, and then give plenty of air time to self-serving messages from law enforcement. As always the biggest casualty is the truth. 

These forums could do with an "Angry" Reaction option.

1 hour ago, ScottishFox said:

Missouri just had an interesting spin.  Mr. and Mrs. Richie McGunHandlingFail have just become the victims of prosecutorial malfeasance.

The wife's handgun was inoperable.  It was used as a prop in a case of theirs previously and they had had it disabled by putting the firing pin and firing pin spring into the gun in the wrong order.

The local prosecution team had the gun taken apart and reassembled correctly before they pressed charges since they wouldn't be able to charge her if the gun was inoperable.

That'll certainly help with public confidence in a fair and speedy trial by local authorities.

Link?

1 hour ago, ScottishFox said:

Corrupt prosecution teams are the same kind of super-evil that dirty cops are.  They are charged with enforcing justice and are instead working to destroy it.  A jumpy old couple that got scared and went for their firearms before earning national fame as the worst gun handlers in recent history are not a threat to society.

It's because the incentive for any of these organizations is to arrest people and throw them in jail... there's no incentive not to do this, with any particular person.

As for this scenario, it sounds screwed up as heck.

38 minutes ago, Matt the Bruins said:

Hasn't he generally only used that when extending the "good people" label to white nationalists who attack protesters?

Yes. But that's when he was still treading lightly, wanting to signal support for white nationalists who are part of the base of support he cobbled together, while not completely alienating liberals and provoking a backlash. But by this point Trump has abandoned all pretense of even-handedness. He's decided to fire up his base by openly characterizing the liberal Left as radical, destructive enemies of the American people and way of life. Which he all but proclaims are embodied in himself.

The man is clearly frightened and desperate. It would be pathetic if it wasn't so dangerous.

6 hours ago, ScottishFox said:

Anyone know exactly when that lawsuit was for which they disabled the handgun to use it as a prop in the lawsuit?  It appears to me the way they disabled it was easily undone (and by extension, redone).  Knowing many gun owners, I can't imagine any of them leaving a gun disabled long after doing so had served its purpose.  (How many gun owners have argued against trigger locks, pointing out that a handgun isn't any good for home defense if it can't be readily able to fire?)  This is, after all, a couple who seem very ready to pull out weapons to defend their property.

Call me skeptical, but it seems to me just as likely that they'd have restored it to working condition after the lawsuit, and then disabled it again before having their attorney hand it over to police two weeks after the incident with protesters just so they could claim it wouldn't have worked when she was pointing it at protesters.  (Original incident was 6/28/20, handgun was turned over 7/11/20.)  This is a couple well versed with the legal system (to put it mildly), and cops aren't the only ones who can alter evidence to cover their heinies.

If this were the case, the circuit attorney may have been practicing due diligence by having the crime lab show the handgun could have been "readily capable of lethal use."  Maybe it was.  Just sayin'.

23 hours ago, ScottishFox said:

Mr. and Mrs. Richie McGunHandlingFail have just become the victims of prosecutorial malfeasance.

I just read the article, including the documentation. I don't see any malfeasance. The crime lab clearly documented the condition the firearm was received in, and investigated why it couldn't be fired. They then reassembled it to see if it could be made to fire.

Though I wouldn't consider removing the firing pin "field stripping," that's splitting hairs. (It's not too hard to get at on a PPK/S anyway.)

In any event, as Bolo points out, their attorney turned over the gun after the fact. It's hardly valid evidence at this point,  as the defendants have had ample opportunity to tamper with it.

1 hour ago, Pattern Ghost said:

In any event, as Bolo points out, their attorney turned over the gun after the fact. It's hardly valid evidence at this point,  as the defendants have had ample opportunity to tamper with it.

I 100% agree with you on the valid evidence statement.  They have had days to mess with the weapon.

That doesn't change the fact it was not operable when the police got their hands on it.  They'd have to prove that the gun - which is known to have been disabled in the past so that it could be brought into a courthouse as a prop - was subsequently repaired and they'd have to do that at the level of "beyond a reasonable doubt".  The charges can't be brought in the first place if the gun wasn't operable at the time.  They have no way to prove that it was at this point in time.

Given the custody chain and delay in the police obtaining the weapon - I don't see how this can be done.

The whole case feels like a politically motivated activity.  Missouri has one of the strongest, if not THE strongest, Castle Doctrines in the United States and in normal times the couple probably could have shot the people breaking into their property without getting in trouble.

7 minutes ago, ScottishFox said:

The whole case feels like a politically motivated activity.  Missouri has one of the strongest, if not THE strongest, Castle Doctrines in the United States and in normal times the couple probably could have shot the people breaking into their property without getting in trouble.

The people didn't break into their property.  They broke into the property of the gated community in which they lived, but not into their personal property.