[Police brutality] American injustice, yet again.

Ragitsu

Sheriff’s office leaders rewarded deputies who used force on the job with steakhouse gift cards...Among the deputies who received gift cards to places such as Logan’s Roadhouse were J.J. Johnson and Zach Camden, the officers involved in the March 2019 death of Javier Ambler II. Officers used their Tasers on the Black 40-year-old father four times as he gasped that he had a heart condition and could not breathe.

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200917/officers-rewarded-for-use-of-force-with-steakhouse-gift-cards-former-williamson-deputies-say

44 minutes ago, archer said:

Sheriff’s office leaders rewarded deputies who used force on the job with steakhouse gift cards...Among the deputies who received gift cards to places such as Logan’s Roadhouse were J.J. Johnson and Zach Camden, the officers involved in the March 2019 death of Javier Ambler II. Officers used their Tasers on the Black 40-year-old father four times as he gasped that he had a heart condition and could not breathe.

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200917/officers-rewarded-for-use-of-force-with-steakhouse-gift-cards-former-williamson-deputies-say

To be quite frank, a lot of people simply want to kill the people who they find mildly inconvenient or annoying.  I wish I was joking.

3 hours ago, archer said:

Nothing tastes better than steak and pumping electricity into a fellow human's body behind the safety of a blue shield.

Mmmm...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.motherjones.com/crime-justice/2020/10/an-anonymous-juror-in-breonna-taylors-case-just-made-a-startling-statement/

Today, an anonymous grand juror made a startling disclosure about the controversial decision: The jury was not even given the option of indicting the officers for murder or homicide, even if they had wanted to. The disclosure came shortly after a court ruled that the anonymous juror could speak publicly about the grand-jury proceedings, which are normally kept confidential, after the juror accused Cameron of mischaracterizing the jury’s decision-making process to the public. 

That's because the officers weren't ever going to be charged with murder or homicide.

The boyfriend defended himself against what he perceived as home invaders. Nobody has an issue with him firing on the police as far as I've seen.

However, the police are in the very mirror of his situation: They were fired upon by someone who they assumed was the subject of a no knock warrant. Such warrants are issued under the presumption that there's a danger of the subject fighting or destroying evidence if a normal warrant is served. The officers were completely justified in returning fire. That bit of it means they aren't ever going to be charged with murder or a lesser level of homicide. Their perceptions of the situation count as much as the boyfriend's perceptions that also gave him a free ride on the fight.

If I was looking for malfeasance on the part of the officers serving the warrant, I'd look at their crappy aim. I've seen police training materials online where the trainer or author advises suppressive fire. That is, putting up a defensive wall of lead. That's a military tactic and unsuitable for any urban civilian law enforcement situation I can think of. IF the officers were responding using such tactics, and IF it was a documented part of their training, I could see a very easy win in civil court against the department. I'm not saying I've seen evidence of such tactics in this case, but I'd damned sure be looking at their training if I was investigating, and evaluating it.

You know who never gets held accountable in these cases? The person who f***s up the paperwork and puts the wrong address on it. The person who requests a no knock warrant when it isn't necessary. The judge who approves excessive numbers of no knock warrants. No knock warrants have been abused for decades, and these stories aren't new. And although minorities may bear the larger number of these f***-ups, I don't see this case as a racial issue at all. This is a no knock warrant issue. Hopefully, we elect a Congress that will ban them.

3 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

You know who never gets held accountable in these cases? The person who f***s up the paperwork and puts the wrong address on it. The person who requests a no knock warrant when it isn't necessary. The judge who approves excessive numbers of no knock warrants. No knock warrants have been abused for decades, and these stories aren't new. And although minorities may bear the larger number of these f***-ups, I don't see this case as a racial issue at all. This is a no knock warrant issue. Hopefully, we elect a Congress that will ban them.

Exactly this.  The problem isn't just the cops who served the warrant, it's the entire system that led a nurse to get gunned down in her own bed.  Yet there is zero movement on the parties involved to reform no knock warrants, verify the informant's testimony, check whether the perp they're looking for hasn't already been picked up, or check whether they have the right address.  Instead the only serious charges that were leveled were for the one cop who missed, and then the prosecutor intentionally fumbled the case in court.

And while it might not have been a racial issue until the bullets started flying, if Breonna Taylor had been white, I guarantee you that there would have been a lot more effort to review and reform police procedures. 

The SWAT guys interviewed by the review investigation said the Taylor detectives screwed up everything and should have been shot since they were all standing in the door when they went in to arrest. Then they screwed up the after action. And the detective in charge was trying to file eight arrest warrants at the same time. SWAT was like hold your roll. And they went for this warrant anyway without threat assessment, or backup

CES 

23 hours ago, Old Man said:

And while it might not have been a racial issue until the bullets started flying, if Breonna Taylor had been white, I guarantee you that there would have been a lot more effort to review and reform police procedures. 

I doubt it. This issue is far from new, and many white people have also been inadvertently killed. Yet it persists.

Edit: Now, if you said ". . . if Breonna Taylor had been wealthy, " I'd agree.

Use of police force is the #6 cause of death among black men in the US, with about 1 in 1,000 dying that way, as opposed to roughly 1 in 2,500 white men. Women of all races experience vastly lower levels of lethal force, though proportionally minorities are affected more often.

https://isr.umich.edu/news-events/news-releases/police-sixth-leading-cause-of-death-for-young-black-men-2/

https://www.pnas.org/content/116/34/16793