Arena: General Discussion

Logan D. Hurricanes

While we wait - and because you demanded it! - a few more Grooisms.  In the end, the match I was hoping for, Black Adam vs. Groo, turned out to be against Ms. Martian.  But imho, it would have been even more hilarious the other way and some of the reasons I came up with to vote for our favorite cheese dip gourmand are below.

• You have to admit, a lot more men look like Groo than Black Adam.  He’s a Groo of the people!
  •  Black Adam rules a small, fictional country.  Groo has single-handedly destroyed several.
  • Despite all the steroids and nutritional supplements Black Adam is obviously taking, Groo still has bigger biceps.
  • The Rock is preparing to play Black Adam.  To date, no actor has been found worthy to play Groo.
  • Khandaq is literally full of mendicants.
  • Black Adam’s hairline -– receding.  Groo’s hairline – advancing!

Monday's match is in. Fingers crossed! Hermit likes to pretend he is the underdog, although he has twice as many points as I have and he has gone undefeated thus far in two seasons. It's time for a new Sheriff in town. A Big, Blonde, and Beautiful Sheriff. Vote for me and I'll love you forever. :)

Good luck this week Hermit. Let's see if I can beat you and return the favor. Game on!

Monday's match is in. Fingers crossed! Hermit likes to pretend he is the underdog, although he has twice as many points as I have and he has gone undefeated thus far in two seasons. It's time for a new Sheriff in town. A Big, Blonde, and Beautiful Sheriff. Vote for me and I'll love you forever. :)

Good luck this week Hermit. Let's see if I can beat you and return the favor. Game on!

Folks keep acting like they're tearing down a dynasty...

but...

I can't have a dynasty to challenge if it's only one season.

Folks, Lady Pariah starts with two votes (Her's and her husband's) guaranteed, so she's counterbalancing the points nicely, and she's seen how her husband nearly won last season in his clever use of points. She doesn't need to spend a lot of points each round, just a big amount for the right three of them. She's got heavy hitters with win records that are nothing to sneer at. 

So I think you'll be surprised to find I will indeed be the underdog more than once this week.

Vote for LAUGH because my scrappy batch of warriors this year is fighting hard to win and entertain while doing so.

Vote for LAUGH because if I do win two years in a row, it will make your crushing me in the third season all the more glorious for you and your future team!

Vote for LAUGH because I'm kind of lovable, gosh darn it*

Thank you in advance for those who will vote for us this week, and thanks to you who got us this far.

An honor to face you again on the field of battle, Lady Pariah. 

The crown is indeed yours for the taking

But you do have to take it.

And I warn you, the crown can wear a little on one's.... sanity

mmmwwhahahahaha

* My mother tells me so

The auditorium was abuzz with uncertain conversation.  The Finals were already underway; nobody was sure why there would be a press conference now.  Two men in the gathered crowd speculated.

"Another rule change, maybe?"

"Nah, I think the Commissioner would have taken care of that before the first fight.  It's not like him to change things on the fly."

"Unless he has a really good reason."

"True, but any rule change now would probably be blatantly unfair to one team or the other.  And our Lord Commissioner is nothing if not fair."

"His d12, on the other hand...."

"Yes, well, the less said about that, the better."

Before the other could speak, the light dimmed save for a spotlight focused on the rostrum.  For the first time, they noticed there were two lecterns, each with a microphone.

"Let's see what the Commissioner has to say tonight."

But it wasn't the Commissioner.  Instead, two beautiful, powerful young women came out onto the stand from opposite sides, hugged like old friends (which, of course, they were), and took their places, each taking a spot behind a lectern.

CarolSue_zpsq4yqnpay.png

"Huh.  Wasn't expecting that."

"Me neither.  Better looking than the Commissioner, though."

"Yeah, that goes without saying."

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen," Carol began, "and thank you for coming.  I'm Carol Danvers, team captain of Spectrum.  To begin, I'd like to defer to Susan Storm, team captain of Damage Incorporated."

"Thank you, Carol," Susan continued.  "As many of you are aware, the Infinite Universes Theorem hypothesizes that for every possible series of events or consequences, there is an alternate reality in which those events actually came to pass.  For example, there are, according to the Theorem, universes where the Confederacy won the United States Civil War, where the Denver Broncos have won five Super Bowls, and where Tony Stark is a humble, unassuming man of slightly above average intelligence."

This last comment drew a lot of laughs from the crowd.  Good, she thought.

Carol continued.  "In this reality, our two fine teams, Damage Incorporated and Spectrum, were shut out of this season's Arena Games playoffs.  But somewhere, in some alternate reality, it is our two teams who are playing for the championship this week.  So for your entertainment, we want to bring a taste of that reality here to you."

"What the heck are they talking about?"

"I have no idea.  It should be fun to find out."

After a few moments of crowd murmuring, Susan resumed.  "Each of the next five days, members of our two teams will face off in an unofficial, unsanctioned Arena Games-style event we're calling 'Arena Games Elseworlds'.  It's strictly for your entertainment: No Bonus Points, no arbitrary die rolls, just your votes for who you think would win on any given day.  It's all for fun."

The murmuring grew into a dull roar, which Carol allowed a few moments to subside before continuing.  "We will be using the same arenas each day as the actual finalists--after they're done with them of course.  We have met together, our two teams, and we have a great lineup of contests for you to watch and to vote on.  You won't be disappointed."

Susan added, "Oh, and if you have any questions about the event, please direct them to us, or to our representatives.  Don't bother the Commissioner with this.  He'll be busy enough with the real matches."

"Also," Carol continued, "the Commissioner doesn't know anything about this.  We made all the arrangements independently.  Easier to get forgiveness than permission and all that."  With that she winked at the audience, and cheers broke out.

"So, in a few moments we will announce our first match of the week," Susan concluded.  "I think you're going to love it."  She turned her attention to Carol and smiled.  "Good luck, Spectrum!"

Carol returned the smile. "Good luck, Damage Incorporated!"