Tomie

yamamura

All right I meant to get this done for Halloween but RL comes first. After reading the manga and seeing the movie, I have tried to come up with a write up for Tomie. This is a first draft and I hope some suggestion for polishing her. I am hoping to submit it to Surbrook’s site once I can get some suggestion and balance her out.

Tomie by all appearances has been around for a very long time. Some of the early records from the Meiji period show that she was around even then. Her origins are a mystery, but what it is known is that she is a monster that feeds on society. In some ways she is the ultimate Ko-gal. She cares little for the people she crushes and warp on her way. What she does care about is living the good life and acquiring stuff. In this way she uses her feminine wiles to corrupt the men around her to do her biddings. She has even been known to mind control women into acts they normally wouldn’t do.

The toughest thing about her is that she can’t be killed. Even if one blood cell is left, it will grow into Tomie complete with memories. That beings said, more then one of her can be around at any given time, making it very difficult to stop her. But each Tomie, hates any other Tomie existing and will actively seek to destroy the other.

Tomie is lonely though and is hurt when friends leave her. She is jealous of normal girls who can leave adolescence behind and raise a family. She is the eternal shallow teen-age girl who watches as her friends move on while she strives to feel alive. This is her greatest tragedy, but one which she can find salve through wealth.

Tomie is by Junji Ito from Comics One and is a Major Motion picture from Japan.

Designer notes: 1. I didn’t give Tomie duplication because it didn’t fit the situation entirely and I felt it would be up to the GM to determine how many are around at any given time. 2. The Manga has everything from strange mass Tomie creature (Like a Hydra but with hundreds of female heads, arms and torsos from one body) to taking over another girl’s body after a kidney transplant from Tomie to her hair having strange supernatural powers. While they are all interesting, I decided to solidify her powers to a more concrete form like they were in the movie.

G

KAWAKAMI Tomie

Player:

Val Char Cost
10 STR 0
15 DEX 15
13 CON 6
10 BODY 0
13 INT 3
13 EGO 6
20 PRE 10
20 COM 5
3 PD 1
3 ED 0
3 SPD 5
10 REC 10
42 END 8
25 STUN 3
6" RUN02" SWIM02" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 72

Cost Power END
15 Life Support , Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents, Longevity: Immortal
44 She comes back: Healing 4 BODY (Resurrection (Destroyed by Fire)), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (120 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Turn (Post-Segment 12) (-1 1/4), Self Only (-1/2)
101 Off the Deep end: Transform 6d6: Drives normal person crazy (Major), Reduced Endurance 1/2 END (+1/4), Based On EGO Combat Value (Mental Defense; +1) (202 Active Points); All Or Nothing (-1/2), No Range (-1/2) 9
90 Devoted Slave: Transform 6d6: A male into a loyal slave (Major), Reduced Endurance 1/2 END (+1/4), Based On EGO Combat Value (Mental Defense; +1) (202 Active Points); All Or Nothing (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), Human Males Slightly Limited (-1/4) 9
67 She corrupts: Mind Control 6d6, Telepathic (+1/4), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) (67 Active Points) 7
Powers Cost: 317

Cost Skill
3 Acting 13-
3 High Society 13-
2 KS: Fashion 11-
3 Seduction 13-
Skills Cost: 11

Total Character Cost: 400

Val Disadvantages
10 Distinctive Features: Horrific Double Image on Film (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Uncommonly-Used Senses)
5 Distinctive Features: Unique Beauty (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
20 Psychological Limitation: Vengeful (Common; Total)
20 Psychological Limitation: Hates other Versions of herself (Common; Total)
15 Psychological Limitation: Selfish (Common; Strong)
5 Rivalry: Romantic (Anybody who stands up to her especially other girls), Rival is Less Powerful, Seek to Harm or Kill Rival, Rival Aware of Rivalry
125 Unkillable Ko-gal bonus

Disadvantage Points: 200

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Rather than the regeneration, why not use a triggered summon (exact duplicate, with the hostile limitation). How to define the trigger is up to you, but major loss of body parts or blood should do it. Note - it doesn't matter how much was left - just that majory injury occurred

That would explain the multiple Tomies - she loses an arm in an accident and a new one grows out of it (damn, that's an icky thought).

I suggested major loss of blood or body parts since I doubt that just a few cells would be enough - otherwise thousands of Tomies would start sprouting in the sewer every time she uses the toilet (and if you thought suggestion number 1 was icky...)

One last idea: I'd probably reduce the transformation, but make it cumulative. That way she would not make someone insane in one hit (although her mind control could make them behave irrationally when she was around) - but over time she would drive them nuts.

It's a great idea anyway: I'll steal it if you don't mind!

cheers, Mark

While I may keep the regeneration (albeit at a lower level) I like the summon idea. In the manga it was implied that she could come back from almost nothing left, but I agree for the sake of the world being overrun by Tomie, larger parts would more sense (and it is even arguable that is the case). Also I like your suggestion about lowering the transform and adding cumulative to it. As for using her, go for it, the original idea wasn’t mind to begin with.

G

Here is version 2 of Tomie

:)

KAWAKAMI Tomie

Player:

Val Char Cost
10 STR 0
15 DEX 15
13 CON 6
10 BODY 0
13 INT 3
13 EGO 6
20 PRE 10
20 COM 5
3 PD 1
3 ED 0
3 SPD 5
10 REC 10
42 END 8
25 STUN 3
6" RUN02" SWIM02" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 72

Cost Power END
15 Life Support , Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents, Longevity: Immortal
12 There is always more of her: Summon 400-point Exact Duplicate, Trigger (+1/4) (100 Active Points); Extra Time (denotes how long for new Tomie to grow) 1 Week (-4 1/2), No Conscious Control (-2), Antagonistic Violent (-3/4) 10
11 She gets better: Healing 1 BODY (Can Heal Limbs), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (30 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Turn (Post-Segment 12) (-1 1/4), Self Only (-1/2)
90 Off the Deep end: Transform 3d6: Drives normal person crazy (Major), Reduced Endurance 1/2 END (+1/4), Cumulative (x2 max.) (+3/4), Based On EGO Combat Value (Mental Defense; +1) (135 Active Points); No Range (-1/2) 6
77 Devoted Slave: Transform 3d6: A male into a loyal slave (Major), Reduced Endurance 1/2 END (+1/4), Cumulative (x2 max.) (+3/4), Based On EGO Combat Value (Mental Defense; +1) (135 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Human Males Slightly Limited (-1/4) 6
67 She corrupts: Mind Control 6d6, Telepathic (+1/4), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) (67 Active Points) 7
Powers Cost: 272

Cost Skill
3 Acting 13-
3 High Society 13-
2 KS: Fashion 11-
3 Seduction 13-
Skills Cost: 11

Total Character Cost: 355

Val Disadvantages
10 Distinctive Features: Horrific Double Image on Film (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Uncommonly-Used Senses)
5 Distinctive Features: Unique Beauty (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
20 Psychological Limitation: Vengeful (Common; Total)
20 Psychological Limitation: Hates other Versions of herself (Common; Total)
15 Psychological Limitation: Selfish (Common; Strong)
5 Rivalry: Romantic (Anybody who stands up to her especially other girls), Rival is Less Powerful, Seek to Harm or Kill Rival, Rival Aware of Rivalry
80 Unkillable Ko-gal bonus

Disadvantage Points: 155

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0