6th Edition Conversions

Christopher R Taylor

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 8:14 PM, Christopher R Taylor said:

I was just trying to find a way to simulate the concept of missile deflection in the 6th edition.  In my opinion it shouldn't have been removed, and the way you can tell that is when you try to come up with a replacement for it and its never right.

I'm having a trouble reconciling this statement with others you have made.

22 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Well the reason I say that is because of this:

As in, it doesn't do anything to make you deflect ranged attacks, the rules already presume everyone can do that.  It just lets you do that at range.  Which.... why would you pay points and spend END to do that for yourself?

Indeed, why? You're the one who suggested that a character should pay points to do that - isn't that what "come up with a replacement" means?

edit: To elaborate: If a character buys a Limited Deflection, I would expect the Game Operations Director (who presumably reviews all powers) to either say "okay, you paid points for this so you don't get the usual penalties for Blocking a ranged attack and can do so even when not otherwise possible" OR they would say "Do NOT spend points for this, it doesn't get you anything you don't already have for free."

21 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

But the write up for Deflection doesn't change the rules for blocking ranged attacks other than letting you do it at a distance.  That's literally all it does; I'm not sure why its even a power.  It doesn't change modifiers, it doesn't give the character the ability to block ranged attacks, its just "ranged" bought on block, for ranged attacks only.

Which raises an interesting question: How would you build an ability to block non-ranged attacks at range?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary raises a force field in the kitchen, to block any attacks on the range

Indeed, why? You're the one who suggested that a character should pay points to do that - isn't that what "come up with a replacement" means?

You misunderstand.  I'm not saying "why spend points to pay for blocking at range" I'm saying "why buy blocking at range if its only to protect yourself?"

4 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

You misunderstand.  I'm not saying "why spend points to pay for blocking at range" I'm saying "why buy blocking at range if its only to protect yourself?"

I'm sorry, but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the idea that when you said "Come up with a replacement" you meant "why buy blocking at range to protect yourself?"

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary has two heads and neither one is wrapping well around that idea.

I'm sorry, but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the idea that when you said "Come up with a replacement" you meant "why buy blocking at range to protect yourself?"

... two different areas, there.  I don't even know why this discussion is taking place.  I'm starting to regret even bumping this post at this point, every time I post here lately someone has a problem with what I say :(

42 minutes ago, Ninja-Bear said:

Well I just did Howler and came up to 378 CP! However I’m sure I’m misunderstanding Absortption though.

There is no need to do Howler, as she is in Champions Villain Volume 3. Pages 160-162 even. And yes, she is still as sexy as ever.

Assault I do fine the different edition versions interesting but that’s not my goal. I like how 4th ed characters are presented as solid starting characters. I also feel that beginning characters in 6th should be 300 CP. So initially I was curious as to or many points a  4th Ed would be. And I’m being pleasantly surprised to see that most are around 300. Next step will be for me to then modify the characters so that they are all equal to 300 CP.  

• 1 month later...
On 12/22/2014 at 5:19 PM, Christopher R Taylor said:
The Maine, first of the Aesisinos.  A huge, clunky but very powerful suit of armor.  Very unreliable and clumsy, slow on land and a chunk of the powers Macon doesn't even know how to use.  I did the coloring as slightly rusty, because it seems to fit the design and feel of the suit better.

The Maine

Player: NPC

Val Char Cost

15  STR    5        With Armor: 55 STR     Lift: 200 kg (50 tons); Damage 3d6 (11d6) 

18  DEX   16

15  CON   5

11  BOD   1         Perception Roll: 11-

10  INT     0

10  EGO  0

10  PRE   0          Presence Attack 2d6

6   PD     4          With Armor: 26 PD; 20 PD

5   ED     3          With Armor: 25 PD; 20 PD

4   SPD  20

6   REC   2

30  END   2

26  STN   3

OCV:    6

DCV:    6

OMCV: 3

DMCV: 3

12m RUN   0

38m SWIM 0

6m LEAP 1

Characteristics Cost: 92

Cost Power

10    Lucky: Luck 2d6

Amored Suit, all slots OIF (-1/2)

3     1)  Sealed Systems: Life Support  (Expanded Breathing; Safe in High Pressure) (6 Active Points); Requires A Roll (11- roll; -1/2), OIF (-1/2)

17    2)  Thrusters: Swimming +34m (38m total), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (25 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

20    3)  Servos: +40 STR (40 Active Points); Requires A Roll (11- roll; -1/2), OIF (-1/2)

40    4)  Armor Plating: Resistant Protection (20 PD/20 ED) (60 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

19    5)  Main Cannon: Blast 14d6 (70 Active Points); Requires A Roll (11- roll; Jammed, Must be made each Phase/use; -1 1/2), 6 Charges (-3/4), OIF (-1/2)

27    6)  Burst Cannon: Blast 10d6, Area Of Effect (20m Radius Explosion; +1/2) (75 Active Points); Requires A Roll (11- roll; Burnout, Must be made each Phase/use; -1), OIF (-1/2), 12 Charges (-1/4)

50    Mystery Powers: Custom Power (50 Active Points)

Powers Cost: 186

Cost Skill

6     Weaponsmith (Firearms) 13-

3     Language:  Spanish (completely fluent)

Skills Cost: 9

Total Character Cost: 287

Pts. Complication

10   Hunted:  Cuban Government Frequently (As Pow; NCI; Limited Geographical Area; Mildly Punish)

5    Negative Reputation:  Clumsy but Powerful, Frequently (Known Only To A Small Group)

10   Physical Complication:  Heavy and large, clumsy suit (Infrequently; Slightly Impairing)

15   Psychological Complication:  Proud of Power Suit (Common; Strong)

10   Psychological Complication:  Afraid of Explosives (Common; Moderate)

15   Social Complication:  Secret Identity Frequently, Major

10   Unluck: 2d6

10   Vulnerability:  2 x STUN Armor Piercing attacks (Uncommon)

20   Vulnerability:  2 x STUN Explosion attacks (Common)

Complication Points: 105

33cn280.jpg

The Maine.hdc

On 12/26/2014 at 3:38 PM, Christopher R Taylor said:

Holiday bonus extra post! Spider Monkey, the experiment that is contemptuous toward humans.  Also, very tiny.

Spider Monkey

Val Char Cost
 13  STR    3
 23  DEX   26
 13  CON   3
  7   BOD  -3
 20  INT    10
 20  EGO 10
 10  PRE   0
 13  PD    11
 10  ED     8
  5   SPD  30
  6   REC   2
 30  END   2
 20  STN   0

OCV:    8
DCV:   12
OMCV: 7
DMCV: 7

12m RUN   0
  4m SWIM 0
  5m LEAP 1
Characteristics Cost: 197

Cost Power
  5     Tail: Extra Limb (1)
 10    Discriminatory with Smell/Taste Group

60    Ego Powers: Multipower, 60-point reserve
 6f    1)  Mind Over Matter: Telekinesis (40 STR) (60 Active Points)
 6f    2)  Ego Attack: Mental Blast 6d6 (60 Active Points)
 6f    3)  Read Minds: Telepathy 12d6 (60 Active Points)
Powers Cost: 93

Cost Skill
  3     Acrobatics 14-
  3     Breakfall 14-
  3     Language:  English (completely fluent)
  3     Language:  Spanish (completely fluent)
  7     Concealment 15-
  7     Stealth 16-
Skills Cost: 26

Total Character Cost: 316

Pts. Complication
 15   Distinctive Features:  Spider Monkey (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures)
 15   Enraged:  Grabbed, entangled, or bound (Uncommon), go 11-, recover 11-
 20   Enraged:  When Mentally Attacked (Uncommon), go 14-, recover 11-
 20   Hunted:  Mad Scientist Frequently (Less Pow; NCI; PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find; Vivisect)
  5    Negative Reputation:  Dangerous and erratic, Infrequently
 20   Physical Complication:  Small (Frequently; Greatly Impairing)
 20   Psychological Complication:  Thinks he's superior to humans (Common; Total)
 20   Psychological Complication:  Wants to be in charge (Very Common; Strong)
 15   Psychological Complication:  Vicious (Common; Strong)
 10   Social Complication:  Public Identity Infrequently, Major
 20   Vulnerability:  2 x Effect mental attacks (Common)
  5    Vulnerability:  Chemical Attacks (Uncommon)
Complication Points: 185

2v0n7ly.jpg

Spider Monkey.hdc

For all that I love the Asesinos as a villain team, I keep forgetting Spider Monkey. Thanks for reminding me of her and for these great conversions.

EDIT: And I included the Maine, somehow?

• 3 months later...
On 5/22/2015 at 10:59 AM, Christopher R Taylor said:

It is odd to me that Draconis didn't have more staying power, as capable and interesting as he was.  His background with the government and his focus on lizards sets him apart from Destroyer, but I guess they figured there's only room for one armored super villain.

I once played in a Champions adventure where Dr. Draconis actually created some dragons and was terrorizing the city with them.

An alliance between Dr. Draconis and King Cobra could result in all sorts of interesting reptilian mayhem.

BTW Strangluff Draconis is still part of the official setting, as his alliance with Deathstroke is in their history in Champions Villains Vol. 2. He was "defeated" in 1993, but nothing more is said about what became of him. Easy enough to justify bringing him back.

• 1 month later...
On 4/11/2018 at 2:58 PM, Christopher R Taylor said:

... two different areas, there.  I don't even know why this discussion is taking place.  I'm starting to regret even bumping this post at this point, every time I post here lately someone has a problem with what I say :(

I like your work, and encourage you to keep going.

• 1 month later...
On 2/23/2019 at 10:26 PM, Amorkca said:

Has anyone done Conversions of the San Angelo sourcebook?

Rumor has it that we're doing an update of SA:CoH. That being the case, we're going to need conversions of the old character write-ups to H6.

PLUS we're going to need 6E write-ups for the NEW characters and updated characters (the "Where are they now?" gang, 'cause after 20 years people change).

If you have the requisite software and are interested in doing conversions and submitting character files to us on spec, contact me (goldrushpub@gmail.com).

51 minutes ago, goldrushg said:

Rumor has it that we're doing an update of SA:CoH. That being the case, we're going to need conversions of the old character write-ups to H6.

PLUS we're going to need 6E write-ups for the NEW characters and updated characters (the "Where are they now?" gang, 'cause after 20 years people change).

If you have the requisite software and are interested in doing conversions and submitting character files to us on spec, contact me (goldrushpub@gmail.com).

I might be able to help with that. ? Yeah, I'm still around. Although I spend most of my time traveling the world these days.

• 1 month later...
On 10/23/2015 at 1:16 PM, wcw43921 said:

Perhaps he picked it up when he joined the Party early on.  The Nazis were a really rough bunch in the beginning--lots of unemployed workers and street toughs and such, meeting in taverns and backrooms and places like that.

That's how I figure it, anyway.

Did a lot of slumming.

On June 2, 2018 at 8:19 PM, FenrisUlf said:

For all that I love the Asesinos as a villain team, I keep forgetting Spider Monkey. Thanks for reminding me of her and for these great conversions.

EDIT: And I included the Maine, somehow?

Couple of questions:

Can I snag those colorized images, and if so, to whom do I credit the colorizations?

On 4/11/2018 at 12:58 PM, Christopher R Taylor said:

This thing in particular, the Deflection/Missile Deflection discussion, is still pretty touchy I think.  In this particular case with this particular thing.  If I'd brought it up, or Ninja Bear, or Hugh, someone probably would have had the same reaction.  

By the rules, everyone can do it, maybe, if they're in the right circumstances, and the GM allows it... 

Deflection, No Range, is what you buy when you want to be able to do it when those other people can't, no penalties, no Focus needed, full stop.