Whatever happened to Panda & Raccoon?

Philip Nicholls

On 12/12/2020 at 12:06 PM, Scott Ruggels said:

That squeamishness is precisely why I left silver age as fast as I could and four color eventually to Fantasy Hero, and Danger international. I liked reading comics, but the enforced genre conventions just grated on me.

The post you are responding to is almost six years old and I haven't been active on the Hero Boards for over two years.

I only ended up seeing the comment notification because the boards auto-populated while I was headed to Hero Forge.

Fire away with the comments, but all things considered, I'm a pretty low-yield choice of interlocutors these days. 

Merry Christmas and more power to you for reading whichever comic books you prefer! 👍

On 12/13/2020 at 3:15 AM, Christopher R Taylor said:

There is also a version of Panda and Racoon (and some other lost bad guys) in the new 6th edition Island of Dr Destroyer module.

Thanks.  I wish I had know this before I dropped four bucks on Forgotten Enemies...L.O.L.  That redone module is on my radar, but I have to make purchases vary conservatively at the moment due to Christmas being what it is.

On 12/26/2014 at 7:24 PM, Lord Liaden said:

That's essentially what I did with the official Champs villain team, the Ultimates. Their name begs the question, "ultimate what?" and their membership is already preponderantly scientists, so I jiggered their roster a little to make them all scientists. Like Beamline these Ultimates believe in rule of the world by the scientific elite, who as the most knowledgeable and "rational" thinkers are best suited to govern and apply science to the benefit of all. They do actively recruit other scientists (not just supervillains) into a larger network they call the International Scientific Elite, or ISE (pronounced "eyes"). ISE has established research centers, or "Secret Plan Bases," in hidden locations around the globe (financed by the Ultimates' thefts) where they work to develop super-weapons with which to blackmail Earth's governments into submitting to them. The Ultimates also try to steal breakthrough technologies invented by others.

(Long-time Champions players will probably recognize the inspirations for several of the above-mentioned elements. I never claimed to be an original thinker.) :P

I am always looking for interesting ways to incorporate tech/science villains into my games.  So I am going to stea..... err borrow this idea!

On 12/16/2020 at 11:11 AM, steriaca said:

I like the idea of Panda and Raccoon being a super PETA type. It would be intresting if they would be more angry at unethical animal testing then unethical human testing. 

They would probably be hunted by ARGENT as well as IHA.

Thanks for the idea.  I am going to do this.  I play with my daughters who have lawful-good mentalities.  I am interested in their reactions when they catch the "criminals" in the act of committing the "crime" of liberating tortured lab animals.  I actually know someone who was on the run from the authorities for several years for doing this.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2014 at 11:17 AM, Lord Liaden said:

Very different background from EE's Zephyr, actually. The current official villain Zephyr is closer to Bora in that they're both mutants and criminals, but there are also some significant differences between their Powers. I suspect Steve Long simply chose the name "Zephyr" as appropriate for a primarily wind-based character, without trying to evoke one from the past.

IIRC Zephyr was more of a thief whereas Bora was a cold hearted killer.

On 12/26/2014 at 8:24 PM, Lord Liaden said:

That's essentially what I did with the official Champs villain team, the Ultimates. Their name begs the question, "ultimate what?" and their membership is already preponderantly scientists, so I jiggered their roster a little to make them all scientists. Like Beamline these Ultimates believe in rule of the world by the scientific elite, who as the most knowledgeable and "rational" thinkers are best suited to govern and apply science to the benefit of all. They do actively recruit other scientists (not just supervillains) into a larger network they call the International Scientific Elite, or ISE (pronounced "eyes"). ISE has established research centers, or "Secret Plan Bases," in hidden locations around the globe (financed by the Ultimates' thefts) where they work to develop super-weapons with which to blackmail Earth's governments into submitting to them. The Ultimates also try to steal breakthrough technologies invented by others.

(Long-time Champions players will probably recognize the inspirations for several of the above-mentioned elements. I never claimed to be an original thinker.) :P

The only problem with having a bunch of highly intelligent supervillains working together is that eventually you start having massive egos getting in the way too.

39 minutes ago, starblaze said:

IIRC Zephyr was more of a thief whereas Bora was a cold hearted killer.

The only problem with having a bunch of highly intelligent supervillains working together is that eventually you start having massive egos getting in the way too.

But that would be irrational. ;)

I don't believe that great intellect and outright arrogance necessarily have to go together. Most scientists today engage in research as part of a team, so cooperation is part of scientific discipline. Even if there is arrogance, it would be directed toward the "inferior" minds of common folk.

But if one felt the need for a leader to enforce discipline, the variation on the Ultimates from the 4E book, Enemies Assemble, could be sufficient. In that book Binder experienced an accident involving the alien energy-construct Plasmoid, which dramatically boosted his intelligence. He took to calling himself "the Ultimate Mastermind." In that case his fellows had to concede that he was demonstrably the smartest among them.