Extra Damage Only For Stunning

Uthanar

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark me down for being uncomfortable with Change Environment being used for everything and the kitchen sink as well.  I wouldn't have used it for stunning, ever, but I'm not sure what other more clean and elegant device would replace it.  Certainly a power that only stuns is a bit ridiculous and limited.

For 30 points you get you a ranged attack that a target gets a CON roll to ignore completely.

30 Be Stunned!: Change Environment (Stunning) - END=3

Per the Power's writeup below that's effectively a 10- Activation Roll vs. a NORMAL.  I don't see the problem.

From APG1 page 83

(right after CHANGE ENVIRONMENT: SUFFOCATION)

CHANGE ENVIRONMENT: STUNNING
At the GM’s option, characters can also use Change Environment against a single target to create an attack that Stuns the target without reducing his STUN. This combat effect costs 30 Character Points.

When used, this form of Change Environment Stuns the target, subjecting him to all the effects described on 6E2 104 (except for the loss of STUN; his STUN total isn’t reduced). The Stunned effect lasts as long as the Change Environment is maintained. However, when affected the victim gets to make a CON Roll immediately, and if the roll succeeds the attack has no effect on him. If the roll fails, he gets to make an additional CON Roll every Phase he’s affected at a cumulative +1 (so +1 on his second roll, +2 on his third, and so on). As soon as any roll succeeds, the power immediately stops affecting him and he has his full Phase in which to act. To affect him further, the character using the Change Environment has to use an Attack Action and successfully attack him again.

To counteract the CON Roll, a character buying Change Environment (Stun) can include penalties to CON Rolls as an additional combat modifier.

For consideration, here's a mentalist version:

Mind Blast:  Change Environment (Stunning), Alternate Combat Value (uses OMCV against DMCV; +1/4), Works Against EGO, Not CON (+1/4), Area Of Effect (8m Cone; +1/4) (52 Active Points)

It's my take on the D&D Mind Flayer attack.

You could probably also do a PRE-based version as some kind of super skill.

What it means is this: every time the villain hits with this power, it stuns you.  Link it to another attack.  Have it hit you with a CON drain.  See how much you like being stunlocked.  Nobody likes being stunned, and this makes it too easy for too cheap.

It clearly states in the power description I posted earlier that  it is NOT an automatic effect vs. any character.

A group of agents with Teamwork and effective coordinated fire can stunlock a character without a complicated power build. Is using THAT tactic somehow badwrongfun on the part of a GM now?

Being Stunned is just one part of the combat mechanics. Nothing more.. nothing less.

And the pricing seems spot on considering that Cannot Be Stunned only costs 15 points.

"A character Surprised while out of combat... takes 2x STUN from attacks."(6E2 50)

How would you handle CE:Stunning if used as a Surprise Attack out of combat?

There isn't any STUN damage (w/ CE:Stunning) to multiply.

In doesn't seem like CE:Stunning benefits in this manner from Surprises out of combat. Am I wrong?