LGBTI Characters in the Champions universe?

Philip Nicholls

I've been thinking recently about LGBTI (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender & intersex) characters and I know there are some in the champions universe and hope this thread can identify them

the ones I know are

Meteor (predators)

maybe not in the mainstream universe anymore

Flare (bisexual?)

I apologise if this thread has been done before, but with search disabled I couldn't find out

The two characters you mentioned are technically not part of the current official Champions Universe. Flare hasn't been connected with Hero Games publications at least since Fourth Edition HERO was published. There is a "Meteor" in the setting, but he's a different character. Predators is a book in the "Dark Champions" line, for modern-day adventure verging into "street-level" costumed heroes. It's essentially a different continuity from the more "four-color" superhero universe of Champions.

5E and 6E Champions supplements rarely make any mention of a character's sexual orientation, aside from it being obvious by backstory romances, DNPCs, and the like. Steve Long has posted that he doesn't generally consider such information relevant to how the characters will be used in a game. However, I can recall a couple of NPC heroes whose homosexuality has been alluded to. Justiciar, leader of Canada's premier hero team, StarForce, is gay, although he doesn't appear to be open about it. At least some of his teammates are or were unaware of the fact. Hydro, the aquatic hero of Millennium City, is in an open and committed gay relationship, but in his Secret Identity.

Steve has mentioned that whenever it's not specified, someone should feel free to add whatever details work for their use of a character.

Well, not official, but:

Character one: The Damsel is a crossdressing gadgeteer operating out of New Orleans, and is straight man who dresses as a southern belle to fight crime (among other things).

Character two: Paradox Timely is a member of the TED, a time traveler, and she is extremely open as far as sexual partners are concerned.

Character three: Lady Heart is a teen-age boy who changes into a magical girl to fight the forces of Queen Nightmarea. He is rather straight in normal id, and tomboyishly 'gay' when transformed (gender changer).

In my own campaign, I'm building characters as I need them. So far, one NPC hero met in play has been gay; it came up only because the female PC made a pass.

(Bull and Bear, called "the heroes of Wall Street" although they prefer to think of themselves as the heroes *against* Wall Street, shared an origin as bank employees surplused in the Mortgage Meltdown, turned Occupy activists, who were sacrificed by a coven of Satanist bankers. The ritual wen wrong and they ended up with super-powers. Both are bricks with a few wealth-related powers. Bear is a bear-man who can sense the value of items around him, and straight; Bull is a minotaur who can transmute any metal into coin, and gay. They share a Manhattan apartment and are active in charity work when not fighting crime.)

Speaking as a player and GM, I would expect the CU to include LGBTI heroes and villains in about the same proportions as the general population IRL. It's just part of it being a 21st century setting. But for the same reason, people in the developed world don't make a big deal of it.

Dean Shomshak

The only LGBTI villain I have herd of is the 'original' villain (as in, somebodys campaign, and not part of the CU) by the name of The Lavitor Fog (as in the color 'light purple'...I am a terrible speller). Basicly, from what I can say by what I herd, he is extremely openly gay, a mutant, and can change into/generate his namesake (Desolification, Darkness, Change Enviroment). He has gay henchmen, and his identifying quote is this: "Tie him to the pleaser bar, Bruno." (Nobody knows what happens, cause male heros usaly push there STR and gain +10 STR, Only To Get Out Of The Pleaser Bar, or something like that...).

Man, he does sound fun to run, but the person running him better watch out for players who are part of the LGBTI community from bopping him one.

Yeah, in a genera where secret identities are a major part of the setting, maintaining a secret or public knowlege of sexuality seems a little out of place. Unless that storyline is important somehow. Maybe Genocide decides being "other" oriented is a mutation, and starts a war against gay rights (maybe just to get money from anti-gay activists) Otherwise, why is it even an issue?

I remember reading that the author of "Soon I will be Invincable!" (a seriously good read) wrote one of the main characters as gay, and it never came up in the book because it made no sense to do so.

I have only used one overtly gay hero, from a old game set if SF, the Purple Rose the protector of the SOMA district, and the city in general. But players never seemed interested, so I faded that story line out...

In Devil's Cape (a super good read) a Super was destroyed when his secret identity was revielded, and he was also gay. But that just changed the gender of the DNPC.

Speaking as a player and GM, I would expect the CU to include LGBTI heroes and villains in about the same proportions as the general population IRL. It's just part of it being a 21st century setting. But for the same reason, people in the developed world don't make a big deal of it.

I concur. In most of the countries in which supers campaigns are usually set -- and where Champions is played -- sexual orientation isn't a major concern anymore. Except to the degree that gender, race, or religion are, i.e. for a small portion of the population who hold more extreme views.

I played a non- gender specific Hero once, he/she was based upon an anime/ manga character called Joker who was a shape changer who could shift between male and female and impersonate you after touching you, he/she had no specific gender orientation

That reminds me, there is just such an official character in the Champions Universe, the master spy called Masquerade. The character's write-up always refers to Masquerade as "he/she," because he/she is neither and both at once. But nothing is mentioned about the character's sexuality.

That reminds me, there is just such an official character in the Champions Universe, the master spy called Masquerade. The character's write-up always refers to Masquerade as "he/she," because he/she is neither and both at once. But nothing is mentioned about the character's sexuality.

Yes, for a high end shapeshifter it does make sense for "gender" to be a non issue. I used to play such a character The Shape, who had in back story spent decades living as either gender, normally in 5 year increments, and was currently "female". (all forms were female, so giant Gorilla? Female, etc...) But it might be interesting to play a character who did strongly self identify as well. (and maybe even take disguise penaltys as needed as well..?)

Incidentally, this reminds me how in the 1970s, Marvel and DC gave us various black superheroes, who invariably had "Black" in their names: Black Lightning, Black Goliath, Black Panther, etc. Okay, so Black Panther's superhero name would have made sense whatever the character's race, but still -- such names seem *incredibly* dated now, at least to me. They meant well, but such characters just point out how very, um, "white" the comics industry was. "Gawrsh, look at this character, he's BLACK!"

It was progress, but thank all gods we've moved beyond it. Heroes and villains can be black, and it matters that the character is black, but it doesn't define the character utterly.

I am at least grateful that comics avoided following this clumsy route in the 1990s, as the wider culture became more aware and accepting of LGBTI rights. AFAIK we were spared "Trans Lightning" and "Gay Goliath." Some attempts at respect are worse than scorn.

Dean Shomshak

Back on the subject...what no xeno-sexuals, mecha-sexuals? Well, beyond my OC Paradox Timely, that is (and mostly it is done for humor purposes).

Hm. I admit I've never come across those terms before. But if you really want to broaden the discussion in those directions...

From 1967 until his death in 1990, the Star*Guard for Earth's sector of space was Brin Rei Tarn, a member of the humanoid Dendrian race. Apparently Dendrians are to some extent biologically compatible with Terrans, since Tarn had a long romantic relationship with a human woman, Anna Mills.

During the ancient era when they ruled the Earth and enslaved Humanity, the Elder Worm experimented with forced mating with humans. This resulted in fragments of Worm genetic material persisting in human DNA to the present day, which the Slug can stimulate to turn people into Elder Worms. (I'll let you take a moment to scrub that image from your brains.) :sick:

The cyborg villain called the Engineer will sometimes become enamored with other cyborg or powered-armor supers. She seeks a companion who can also understand and share the joining of organism and technology. Shortly after her creation she offered herself to Mechanon as consort, but it rejected and tried to kill her, so she now hates it more than anything. (Not sure what such intimacy would entail in practical terms, though.)

And of course, Dr. Silverback has dated several human women, which has scandalized some sectors of society.