Great news Fantasy Hero fans!

quozaxx

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, hero fans.  Since the outbreak of severe weather, my son, his friend, and I have not had a chance to play.  But, fear not heroes, last night they wanted to play a game on Saturday.  YES!  I even had an idea based where we left off.  Then my son hits me with another surprise...  They want to play super heroes "like the Avengers". 

Two days to put something together.  Now, I have played (and GM post-by-post) most of my life and actually prefer Champions to Fantasy Hero.  (I grew up on comic books).  But 2 days?  Lucky for me, I have a lot more books and things to draw back on, and I may go back to the very first game I've ever GMed. 

I will have to reduce the villains because there are only 2 of them.  I hope it is challenging. yet fun.

Wish me luck.

Well, they did a quick 'stopping a bank robbery' session.  But you could tell they were really not into the superhero genre.  They really never could get into character and before I could start the next section, my son asked if we could play the other game instead.  He said it was too complicated.

When we changed over, my son and his friend really got into character.  We spend the xp first and I had the orcs they stole the wand from enter into the town and demand the thieves be handed over and the wand returned.  The head orc was riding the giant scorpion.

I reminded them that even if they did hand the wand over, that may not be a great idea, since they are orcs.  Either way, they'd probably end of taking the town.  The orcs mentioned that the two thieves left their staff and bow.  And they said they'd be back by sundown.  6 hours to go.

The town folks quickly realized they were the duo the orcs were talking about and confronted them.  After much discussion, they decided to tell them the truth.  Meanwhile, Hairy saw the person who took the wand in the audience while they were trying to convince the town folks not to turn them over to the orcs.

They had the man come forward (named Draco).  Draco told them that Lord Garerthon, stole the wand from his hands and was promised to give him 600 gold for the wand.  But didn't pay him a dime.  He told them that he would help the duo if, later, they would help him get back at Garethon. 

Draco suggested laying a trap for the orcs.  They thought that they could build a pit trap, like the one they avoided and put poisoned spikes in it.  I told them they could do it, but it would take the entire 6 hours, and they'd probably have to hire help.

My son asked if he could turn himself into a giant digging animal like a giant gopher, and since it was still under the 200 pints, I said 'sure."  And eventually asked if he could be a giant dog.  Again, this was still within the 200 point animal he could turn into (and I had to encourage his creativity) so I said yes, the digging could be reduced to 4 hours.

They asked if they could convince the town to help them dig.  I said.  "Okay, be your character.  I'll be the town.  Convince me to help."  And my son surprised me.  He did  a really good job n his impromptu speech, and I even added a dice to his PRE roll.   

So, the pit would be finished in 2 hours instead of 4.  When they were finished, they found that Draco wasn't even dirty from all the digging and they couldn't remember him actually helping.  (and I didn't help, by making him sound suspicious).  He game some lame excuse of getting scarecrows to put into their clothing to distract the orcs into thinking they were going to be given over to them. 

They were talking about distrust, and I told them (as Draco)  "I can see you trust me.  I understand that.  But trust the plan."

They had 4 hours and my son thought, why not make another trap.  He thought of the two logs coming together to crash into them.  I told them that would take 3 hours. (like Ewoks on Star Wars).  Robin used his survival skill roll to lower it to two hours.  My son considered turning into a beaver, but he could never get his roll to work. 

After that, they considered setting bear traps for the orcs.  But before they could set any traps, the orcs started to return early.  They had to get into position to make the log trap work.  Draco and Robin had climbing skills, but they both failed their roll.  They couldn't climb the tree fast enough to get into position. 

Robin asked if he could shoot the rope holding the logs.  and Hairy (now called Dumbledore), turned into a falcon (again) and flew up into the other tree.  Draco hid in the woods.

They cut the logs (DEX roll) just in time and killed the giant scorpion.  Robin rolled 3 ones, and I let him kill off the mage with one shot, and Draco managed to stab the head orc in the back of his head, killing him.

The other orcs fled.  Needless to say, they had fun again, 5 more xp.  And next time, I promised they'd meet Garithon  (or at least try to get the wand back).  I think I did a good job in keeping Draco's suspicious right up to the very end. 

From the sounds of it I would say that you have a couple a lifelong converts. A lot of times all it takes is getting in one or two really fun games and then the players learn to really enjoy the game for the game. After that if you have a game it's not very fun that's okay because they can remember the ones that are and they're willing to work for those. It's too bad they didn't enjoy the supers so that's really a great Jonna to be a player in.

Here are some more ideas.  Last game I ran, I had a hunt for stag. Nothing magical or devious, just a good old fashion hunt with hero rules. And the second was the pc's had to rescue trapped kids from a collapsed farmhouse before it could catch on fire from the ruined chimney. Then they hunted down the fell drake (giant lizard) that caused the damage!

I am definitely going to let them have generated characters.  (which already has basic equipment and a horse)  They are 15 years old.

Don't underestimate kids. I introduced my son to Hero back when he was 8 or 9, and to my surprise he had no trouble getting into the rules and making characters. Admittedly, he made some very strange and silly characters, but don't be afraid of the complexity. The worst of it is understanding how the system works and what the balance points are. Now that they've played a few sessions they'll have no trouble with that.

Gaming with your kids is awesome. Ain't nothing like it in the whole wide world!

Well, I must admit, their creativity and playing a role lack a little, and we are skimming the rules.  But it's all about fun. 

They had to travel over a troll guarded bridge  and nab a live giant frog, but they got the potions they wanted to help them get the weather wand back.