News for Strike Force fans

Lord Liaden

I apologise to Jason Walters if my posting this information here is jumping the gun. Jason, if you don't want a separate discussion for it, please feel free to delete this thread. But I felt this bit of news would be as exciting to my fellow Champions fans as it was to me, and that spreading it here could make a difference to your current efforts.

In his latest update for the ongoing Larger Than Life: Tall Tale Adventures Kickstarter from Blackwyrm Publishing, which you can learn about here, Jason revealed that the success of this Kickstarter will directly impact Blackwyrm's plans to publish several other HERO System projects. These include an updated, expanded edition of Aaron Allston's classic Strike Force Champions campaign setting, toward which concrete steps have already been taken:

"A complete superhero setting by New York Times bestselling author Aaron Allston. Sadly, Aaron has passed away. But we've just reached an agreement with his estate to publish a new, expanded edition of his classic work - which is possibly the most influential superhero RPG supplement ever published. We will have access to the original and extensive Strike Force “blue books,” as well as massive amounts of unpublished material he recorded and developed over decades of running this groundbreaking campaign by the author of Champions 5th Edition."

Here is the full text of Jason's Kickstarter update, including details of Blackwyrm's other proposed HERO projects. All the future books sound good, but what I really want is Strike Force. FWIW I've already pledged $50 to LTL: TTA. I have confidence in Jason and Blackwyrm's track record to make this a reality.

Exactly: the better Blackwyrm does with other products, the more likely this will happen.  Give to the Larger than Life kickstarter if you can - and all Hero system products - because the more support, business, and popularity they have, the more likely new stuff will come out!

This is terrific news :)

I'm glad to see this going higher.

Interesting note:

Even before Jason's announcement about Strike Force, this particular KS was (and still is) being carried by the Hero fans. The majority of SW and M&M pledges (57% & 81% respectively) are from backers pledged for rewards including all 3 systems. Given that SW and M&M are (presumably) bigger than Hero currently, I'm surprised that they don't have more backers.

I don't play either system, so I'm wondering if this project just isn't appealing to those demographics, or if there is some SW and/or M&M community (like the Hero forums) that hasn't been tapped.  

I'm not a player of either system, so I don't know what their online communities are like or where they're located. But Blackwyrm has been publishing M&M products for years, so surely Dave Mattingly must have some idea of their Internet presence. Fans of M&M are for whatever reason the least responsive to this Kickstarter as of when I write this.

I'm glad to see this going higher.

Interesting note:

Even before Jason's announcement about Strike Force, this particular KS was (and still is) being carried by the Hero fans. The majority of SW and M&M pledges (57% & 81% respectively) are from backers pledged for rewards including all 3 systems. Given that SW and M&M are (presumably) bigger than Hero currently, I'm surprised that they don't have more backers.

I don't play either system, so I'm wondering if this project just isn't appealing to those demographics, or if there is some SW and/or M&M community (like the Hero forums) that hasn't been tapped.  

The disparity in support has grown startlingly big at this point. If no-one can mobilize the SW and especially M&M communities, I'm afraid neither this nor the proposed followup books are going to happen. :(

The disparity in support has grown startlingly big at this point. If no-one can mobilize the SW and especially M&M communities, I'm afraid neither this nor the proposed followup books are going to happen. :(

When I posted those percentages there were 51 Hero System backers, 13 Savage Worlds backers, 4 M&M backers, and 17 backers for the triple-threat. SW has actually gone up slightly overall since then (more than Hero), while M&M appears to be the same.