Golden Age Champions images and themes

Christopher R Taylor

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He worked four years on TAS and I think its unfair to say what DC may oray nor let him do or where he may have gone since he passed away just shy of 31. Clarmount has worked on x-men related books for 35-40 years.

Parobeck's JSA and Todd Nauck's Teen Titans from Teen Titans go. Given the change in comics who knows where.Parobeck would have gone if diabetes had not taken him first.

post-219-0-09942600-1428005717_thumb.jpg

post-219-0-57027300-1428005787_thumb.jpg

As I mentioned when I first posted Atomic-Robo i mentioned i was looking forward to  The flying She-Devils of the Pacific which started today in which set in 1951 Robo teams up with a team of female jet pack flying air pirates to fight a rogue group of elite Japanese soldiers known as CHOKAITEN who haven't accepted the end of the war.

1428069218-ARV701_int_print-0.jpg

• 3 months later...

As it appears I'll never be running it again, here's the campaign story concept and notes from the game I was running.  Its too bad, it was very interesting to run and people seemed to like it.

The source of the powers, why suddenly they showed up and only villains had them is pretty simple and was borrowed from a short story I read in a book a while back.

Long ago, magic was in the world, but faded away over time. Creatures that were part of it and entire civilizations lay dormant for thousands of years.  When the Germans opened up their death camps, the necromantic energy awoke Odin partially.  Goering's search for magical artifacts uncoved Odin's spear Gungnir, now slightly magical as the magic started to return.  With it, and rituals, he managed to inadvertently raise a lich to assist them, who they called the Red Skull because of his appearance.  Each new death camp fed necromantic power into the world, and strengthened the spear.  Finally, using it, the Red Skull was able to awaken some of the Norse gods, starting with Thor.

Twisted by necromantic magic and inclined to assist Germans who venerated them, the gods began to empower Germans, forming the first super(villains) in the world - the superteam you fought on the train and later, with Fliedermaus and Hauptman Deutschland.  Unknown to the Germans, Loki awoke as well.  Seeing his hated enemies such as Thor working with the Germans, he decided to fight them.  So he found the long lost Ioun apples - the source of the gods' youth and immortality - and stole them away.

The power of each apple, Loki discovered, would grant power to humans based on their nature and inclination.  Even just a slice was enough.  So he began approaching easily swayed criminals, con men, and troublemakers, and offering them greater power, as long as they would help him one day fight the Germans and their pet gods.  The 5 families in New York City were his first targets, and for years he granted power to select interesting people.  How they used the power didn't matter a bit to Loki, as long as they did what they were told when he called on them - and the enchantment he put on the apples would guarantee that.

Until the PCs came along.  And things went... differently.  In the game, I started the PCs out as pulp era normals and ran them through a couple of scenarios, brushing up against supervillains.  Then they ended up in a magic boat that sailed them to an island where a mysterious figure offered them power if they ate an apple.  And it worked

Now people who were not villains had powers.  And before Loki could learn much about them... Thor attacked.  Above the PCs at the stone building out on that island, Thor and Loki fought.  The PCs had no idea who they were, just some big guys shouting at each other in a language they didn't speak (ancient Norse) and fighting above the clouds with lots of lights and colors and thunder.  Then a gigantic explosion.

That explosion was Thor, who with a mighty blow from Mjolnir blastied Loki over the horizon.  And more importantly: the apples were supercharged, changed, and blown all over the world by the thousands with that mighty crashing impact.

Bathed in magical power from the explosion, the PCs not only were freed from Loki's control spell, but empowered: they could continue gaining power over time from the apples instead of being static and fixed.  What's more, the apples changed.  Different kinds were formed from the magical storm, apples that would have different effects.  This idea was swiped from the game Freedom Force; you could find apples in different places with different effects based on color.  This one increase xp gain.  This one heals continuously. This one supercharges your powers briefly.  This one allows a power reset, so you can start from scratch with a new character build. etc.

As time went on, the heroes would continue gaining power, the gods would gain more substance and independence, and more things like that dragon in Dunkirk would begin to awaken (such as Dracula, who was forming a monster villain team with guys like the Wolf Man, Frankenstein, a Wicked Witch, etc).  Further, magic started working again.  Stuff that was just for show, began to have real power, such as the Amazing Zanzo who found a cool wand that allowed him to grow and control animals.

Each new adventure arc moved the calendar up a month in history.  I had a timeline: here's the things that were coming up.  A gigantic hurricane was about to hit NYC and require work.  Super-Saboteurs were going to land on the beach and head into the USA.  The Battle of Britain was just about to start, although the PCs would be in the USA fighting to keep Germans from getting intel and kill key UK figures in the USA.    Lots of ideas.  Eventually, the PCs would be involved in key stages in the war, such as helping break the battle of the bulge.

All the while, the first superheroes in the world would be establishing what and why superheroes do what they do.  Why the colorful costumes, why the secret identities, how they work with authorities, and so on.

So that was the plan: a long-term campaign with lots of growth and history. 

Oh I left off a key part: Odin was being held by the Red Skull in a trap that allowed him to tap on the god's powers but left him helpless.  That was the key to how to beat the Germans, who were just going to get more and more powerful and unstoppable by using the Odinforce to create magical items and empower villains.  Freeing Odin.  That was the endgame to WW2.

You know your in a golden age comic book when there is a young girl in bondage on the cover, even if the scene is never depicted exactly that way inside the comic book itself. (You can replace 'young girl' with 'kid sidekick' if you want...).

• 2 weeks later...

Reminds me of the mail guy at wolfram and Hart. On Angel defending Los Angeles from occult terrors with his band of sharp dressed luchadores they

fought Satan's robot

That was Cinco (Five) and his brothers. They were the champions of their era, much like Angel was the champion of his