Alternative Riding Animals

Steve

Speed and endurance I imagine. Strength would hardly be worth it in many cases if your humans can outpace the mount and the strength is hardly much more than a horse can generate.

Without actually having measured it and actually knowing something in real life, only having worked around them a small amount: I imagine a horse can maintain a faster speed for much longer than almost any cow longer. However in cases were strength is significantly more (elephants) we see people sometimes do upgrade.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good question. Why is it that oxen, for example, and similar bovine creatures, are used as draft animals but seldom ridden?Lucius AlexanderI ride a palindromedary, which is probably "alternative" by anyone else's standards....

Well, oxen are uncomfortably broad, and slower than horses. But people have (and still do) ride cattle. Google "riding steer" and you'll get a ton of hits. I'm guessing that it is mostly to do with tradition. People have been riding horses for millennia, so ... People wanting a riding animal ride horses. Never underestimate the power of the illogical

The problem with Moths and Butterflies is that they have a rather, um, erratic motion in flight that would be awful for the passenger.

True. In real life there are several different breeds of horses because of need.  I watched a special dealing with medieval horses.

The warhorse as you see in most movies wouldn't be the best horse for everyday travel do to its expense and gait. I believe its the palfry was breed for a more gentle gait however the horse looks more like a llama than a majestic warhorse hence why the warhorse is seen more often. The rule of cool.  On topic, you could have different breeds of moths to accommodate this  Also in Star Wars 2ed. there is a picture of a stormtrooper riding a giant bat, that would be cool.