Supergirl

Greywind

• 1 month later...

I can see that Supergirl isn't really going to be my cup of tea, but that doesn't make it a bad cup of tea.  I get the impression that they wanted to make a superhero show that appeals to girls, and that's fine.  I'm sure it will have enough scenes that guys can enjoy it some too with their girlfriend.  And she seems to be less the broody grim, dark, miserable type that so many DC characters have become on TV and movies.

Here are some shots of Melissa Benoist as Supergirl from the set.  The costume is pretty muted in colors even in bright sunlight but it at least has the skirt.  They went pretty old school on the boots, which is surprising.

014.jpg

Interesting--she doesn't seem to be wearing the leggings here.  It looks like some sort of dark hose.  Thoughts?

Nope, no thoughts at all.   :whistle:

Only one. "Nice boots...." (there's a line that goes here which I will leave out in the interests of good taste.)

I am SO ready to watch this show. And so is my wife. We watched the trailer yesterday after work (I've already seen it two or three times), and I was pleased that she thought it was worth trying. I'm all over superhero shows (generally--I don't like Arrow), but she's not so rabid a fan. But this appealed to her, so maybe CBS know what they're doing.

Sure, if what they're doing is intentionally trading in the core superhero fanbase for a mainstream television audience. Feels like Lois & Clark all over again to me...

I liked some of Lois & Clark actually. I think its possible to find something that appeals to both. We're not exactly a separate species (arguably we are  different cultures ;)

I liked some of Lois & Clark actually. I think its possible to find something that appeals to both. We're not exactly a separate species (arguably we are different cultures ;) )

Teri Hatcher was my first celeb crush. Dean Cane is still my preferred Superman. And that is the only live action version I can stomache. I hope the new movie can alieve me of that.

Foreign Orchid.

I really thought Cain did a great job of showing that Superman and Clark could be nice guys without tragedy and a "secret" agenda. And I always loved his first episode with Luther, iirc, and the "you can always find me Lex, just look up".

The casting on that show was much better then people give credit. I thought their Lex was excellent. I loved his parents and they made you believe (along with Cain) that he came from a small town. Teri was a very good Lois, gorgeous but also played a very determined character. Only real part that was bad was caused by DC when they were going to do the wedding and wanted it to be across the tv show, newspaper comic strip and comic books. Then they delayed it for some reason, so the show had to do this stupid cloning/amnesia storyline.

Some of my favorite quotes:

"That's my boy".

"Why do you where tights" "My mom made it for me".

I guess I just don't want to see superheroes in some kind of sitcom/romcom tv series. I'm not a big fan of DC's latest grimdark motif for their movies, but light fluffy dramedy isn't what I'm looking for either. I think The Flash right now manages a good balance, though the "romance" elements between Barry and Iris were never anything but tiresome and utterly forgettable. He's positive without being plucky. Cheerful but not cloyingly so. There's a fine line, and I'm not so confident that Supergirl will stay on the right side of it.

I reckon I'm going to enjoy Supergirl more than Flash season 2 or Arrow whatever season is next, 4? Reason is in part what zslane calls it "light fluffy dramedy". It will be nice where the focus is not one being a superhero but elsewhere, in this case the office. I'm a little concerned by the secret government agency plot, but reckon that is needed to give the show a long range focus -- it would bit boring if all Supergirl did was save kittens and stops petty crime. 

Agreed. To me, superheroes aren't superheroes if all they are doing is saving kittens and stopping petty crime. That's what a "street-level" hero does in their Year One arc, maybe. After that, the scale of the action had better increase or there's no point in using the genre as a vehicle for storytelling. I mean, "superhero" isn't simply a motif or an excuse to put a character into danger and/or a costume. A superhero is a character with powers beyond that of normal humans, and the conflict and drama needs to be correspondingly epic and non-mundane. Otherwise you might as well just reboot Ally McBeal and drop any pretense of being a show about superheroes (and supervillains). I mean, we have plenty of shows with good guys and bad guys which aren't superhero shows. What makes a superhero show different is the scale of the conflict/action and the size of the fx budget.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...