Supergirl

Greywind

Kara crossed the line in that romcom faux-drama kind of way. In other words, according to the formula, Cat must act all butt-hurt over Kara overstepping her bounds, but then quickly forgive the intrusion when the good intentions behind it are revealed. The way all that would play out in "real life" is supposed to be irrelevant. Romcoms simply don't work if the main characters aren't allowed to do stupid/inappropriate things and be completely forgiven for them by the end of the episode/movie.

As dumb as some of this show is, and as bad as the CG is, I still can't stop watching it. The show has managed to completely reverse my original low opinion of Hank Henshaw and the sister (as characters). I'm not in love with the whole Aunt Astra plotline, but I am still completely infatuated with Melissa Benoist.

Kara crossed the line in that romcom faux-drama kind of way. In other words, according to the formula, Cat must act all butt-hurt over Kara overstepping her bounds, but then quickly forgive the intrusion when the good intentions behind it are revealed. The way all that would play out in "real life" is supposed to be irrelevant. Romcoms simply don't work if the main characters aren't allowed to do stupid/inappropriate things and be completely forgiven for them by the end of the episode/movie.

As dumb as some of this show is, and as bad as the CG is, I still can't stop watching it. The show has managed to completely reverse my original low opinion of Hank Henshaw and the sister (as characters). I'm not in love with the whole Aunt Astra plotline, but I am still completely infatuated with Melissa Benoist.

Okay, who are you, and how did you get zslane's log-in?

Apparently an upcoming episode will be called "For the girl who has everything."

http://www.superherohype.com/news/364301-for-the-girl-who-has-everything-here-are-new-supergirl-photos#/slide/1

How dare you, CBS.   :tsk:

PS:  Yes, I'm a stubborn, stupid fanboy sometimes...but that is one of the greatest stories ever and it is about SUPERMAN.

With the upcoming appearance of Bizarro Supergirl, I think it is clear that CBS intends to mine all the classic Superman storylines and retrofit them onto Supergirl. I can smell the fan outage building already. But I can also sympathize with it.

Apparently an upcoming episode will be called "For the girl who has everything."

http://www.superherohype.com/news/364301-for-the-girl-who-has-everything-here-are-new-supergirl-photos#/slide/1

How dare you, CBS.   :tsk:

PS:  Yes, I'm a stubborn, stupid fanboy sometimes...but that is one of the greatest stories ever and it is about SUPERMAN.

Same plot as a Justice League episode with Superman.

So if Bizarro Supergirl is the opposite of Supergirl, and Supergirl gets all her powers from our yellow sun, then it stands to reason that Bizarro Supergirl would become depowered by the same yellow sun. But I guess that wasn't what the writers of the original Bizarro Superman wanted for their silly plot device character, so the writers of Supergirl didn't take that path either.

And why did they use a different actress once Bizarro turned all zombie-face?

Could someone who is familiar with the comic book version of Maxwell Lord tell me if he supposed to be such a dim-witted douchebag?

• 3 weeks later...

Master Jailer fought Supergirl in four issues of Superman Family back in 1982.  During this time Supergirl was working as a Soap Opera Actress in New York City.

In a stand alone issue he was the masked and unidentified mastermind of a plan to kidnap Supergirl from a TV studio by putting kryptonite dust in make up for an schedule Television show appearance.  Weakened, Supergirl was hit by a hypnotic beam that put her to sleep.  She woke up in a room that was suppose to have red sun lights and heavier gravity to make Supergirl think she has lost her powers, but a fly buzzing around made her realize that it was phony.  

Over three later issues the Master Jailer tried to get rid of Supergirl by altering her molecular structure making her become first intangible and then invisible.  Supergirl figured out that she needed to compress her molecules so she borrowed Ray Palmer's Atom suit to reappear in a solid if tiny form.  With his help she was restored to normal, and tracked down the Master Jailer in his lair, but he escaped by running into a nearby subway tunnel and throwing a bomb which treated an oncoming train forcing Supergirl to let him go.  The Master Jailer then lured her into a trap by putting a force field around the World Trade Center (where was he when we needed him) and when Supergirl tried to break through he hit her with a beam that turned her into a beam of light.  Although she could only move in a straight line as the speed of light Supergirl could still think and managed to alter her course enough to use a planet's gravity to send her into a space warp which she hoped would let her get back to Earth and somehow use the Master Jailer's device to turn her back to normal.  Instead the space warp itself did that, and Supergirl flew back to Earth and took down the Master Jailer who was engaged in a robbery spree.

I thought it was a neat idea, and a part of me still squees to know that the people making million-dollar TV shows read & love the same comics I do. And besides, it's not like we're going to see that story in a live-action Superman TV show anytime soon. (And I shudder to think what the Snyderverse would do with it!)

The episode itself was okay, but

I felt like the tried to cram too much into one episode, rather than really concentrating on the Black Lotus Utopia Dream to show us how Kara's dream world differs from Clark's. Too much focus on the supporting cast trying to save her, and while I thought Agent Big Sister gave a decent performance I would rather have seen Supergirl save herself like Superman did in the original story. Also making it just a distraction from Evil Auntie's Big Plan really overshadowed what could've been a great episode.

Could someone who is familiar with the comic book version of Maxwell Lord tell me if he supposed to be such a dim-witted douchebag?

Depends very much on who's writing him. The original Giffen/DeMatteis version was kindof a good-natured somewhat amoral con man who nevertheless winds up siding with the angels most of the time. He's older in the comics too, but yeah there was kindof an element of dim-witted douchery to him. Later writers turned him into Menton by way of Lex Luthor.

Overall I'm enjoying the show. The bad parts are sometimes a little painful, but the parts they get right are so good they make up for it IMO. I just wish they'd slow down a little and stop trying to burn through an entire season's worth of plot every 3 episodes. I'm all for upsetting the status quo every once in awhile, but you've gotta give me some time to get invested in the status quo so I care when you upend it.

Yeah this show is turning out to be a guilty pleasure for me. Half of it is moronic, but the other half is irresistable because of Melissa Benoist.

Sometimes the writing goes to unintentionally odd places. For instance, when Lucy Lane challenges James on his relationships with Superman and Supergirl, she uses language reserved for spouses who are being cheated on. It's as if she's accusing him of being one step away from having a three-way with them. James' guilty expressions don't help diffuse the awkwardness (Superman and Supergirl are supposed to be so wholesome they make Mr. Rogers look like Larry Flynt).

Just the same, I find myself tuning in to watch every week; hell, I even look forward to it. Damn you Melissa Benoist!

Oh, and in case anyone hasn't heard about an upcoming guest star:

they've confirmed that Grant Gustin's Flash will be showing up for an upcoming episode. Dude runs so fast he can travel not only within time and between dimensions, but actually between networks! They foreshadowed this on Flash when they went to Earth 2, while they were passing through the breach we got glimpses of other worlds, including a flash of a flying Supergirl. Should be fun - I think those two characters/actors will play well off one another.

Oh, and in case anyone hasn't heard about an upcoming guest star:

they've confirmed that Grant Gustin's Flash will be showing up for an upcoming episode. Dude runs so fast he can travel not only within time and between dimensions, but actually between networks! They foreshadowed this on Flash when they went to Earth 2, while they were passing through the breach we got glimpses of other worlds, including a flash of a flying Supergirl. Should be fun - I think those two characters/actors will play well off one another.

I will go back to Supergirl just for this episode.

This cast is overcoming the show's shortcomings.

That's a good way to word it. Heck, even "James Olsen" has grown on me, and I wasn't sure about this take on him. 

Loving our Henshaw/Manhunter guy (But then I was so pleased by the character being brought in it probably biased me) , Cat Grant has been deeper than I expected, and yes, Melissa Benoist has really nailed the part imo as well. 

And, anyone besides me VERY grateful they addressed the 'Hi, remember due process?' issue with Max Lord? It's one of the few things I DON'T like about the Flash, but Supergirl took that elephant in the room head on. Good on them

I sort of understand why they feel the need for it in The Flash. After all, what good is due process when you have metas that can mind control a jury, or teleport out of a conventional prison, etc. It will take time for society to catch up to the sudden appearance of metahumans and their abilities. In the mean time, something has to be done to keep the dangerous ones out of the general population.

But Maxwell Lord is just a regular human. We actually have a judicial system capable of dealing with him, at least as well as our system can ever properly deal with influential billionaires who have friends in very high places. I'm a little surprised Henshaw allowed him to be kept there for so long.

It might end up being a fun episode, but ultimately it will be a throwaway episode for both characters, at least in terms of the events not having any lasting connection to either characters' on-going plotlines.

True, but I'm fine with that. Not every episode has to propel the meta-plot forward.

True, but I'm fine with that. Not every episode has to propel the meta-plot forward.

No, you're right, not every episode has to be an arc episode. But it would be way more awesome if every episode was.

Ever since Babylon 5 in the 90s and Lost in the 00s, I have had a diminished tolerance for episodic storytelling. I want every episode to build the mythology and advance the primary plotline. Throwaway episodes are a waste of time, money, and effort IMO. When fans can assemble a "binge cut" of a series by cutting out half its episodes, so that only the arc episodes remain, you suddenly realize just how much useless filler most tv shows pack into their seasons. This is a major reason why the 10-episode, no-filler, binge-series model has become so popular.