Supergirl

Greywind

Well, where I think we disagree is that I do believe the writers are intentionally trying to give Kara a character arc in which her heroic nobility is developing before our eyes, having been supressed her whole life for fear of being exposed (and then imprisoned, or worse). Even though the writers haven't quite figured out how to be subtle with this, I can still discern their intent, so the distinction isn't as moot for me as it may be for you.

Granted that she had some baggage to work through as a kid, and the fact that everyone who knew she had powers urged her to hide them would've been a major factor. I'm not saying it makes no sense; I'm saying IMO it contradicts other things they want us to believe about the character.

Take Man Of Steel for example: a lot of people (myself included) hated Pa Kent telling young Clark that he should've let that busload of kids die rather than risk revealing his secret. Why is it okay for Supergirl to make basically the same decision, other than we haven't had to see all the buses of kids that dies through her inaction? Why does the same choice make MOS Clark a selfish bastard, but makes TV Kara a nice person who's just trying to fit in?

The bit about her whole purpose being to protect Kal-El is actually another minor pet peeve of mine. :) It makes sense to us narratively because we "know" Superman is more important than Supergirl, but from Krypton's POV why did Kara's parents feel their nephew was more important than their daughter? I'm not saying "look out for your nephew" shouldn't have been on the list, but why was it the only thing on the list? Kal-El gets the (posthumous) "you'll do great things" speech, while all Kara gets is "watch the baby?" Frankly the whole thing is a tad sexist.

I could buy that if I thought it was intentional, but I feel like the writers are trying to have it both ways. Again, YMMV.

That's fair, tho for purposes of this discussion she didn't know any of that until after she came out.

The most recent episode (the crossover is tomorrow as I write this) did address this point. Young Kara, only recently arrived on earth hears trouble and DOES rush to help. She saves two lives--and is soundly lectured about the dangers of doing so again. So while, yes, she is physically superior to anyone (except Clark) in her life, every authority figure she knows spends the next ten years telling her to keep her head down and avoid making a spectacle of herself. And she's a pre-teen (or teenager) for most of that time. And she does what she's told (by presumably wiser people than she).

The most recent episode (the crossover is tomorrow as I write this) did address this point. Young Kara, only recently arrived on earth hears trouble and DOES rush to help. She saves two lives--and is soundly lectured about the dangers of doing so again. So while, yes, she is physically superior to anyone (except Clark) in her life, every authority figure she knows spends the next ten years telling her to keep her head down and avoid making a spectacle of herself. And she's a pre-teen (or teenager) for most of that time. And she does what she's told (by presumably wiser people than she).

Exactly. A super powered little girl / pre-teen is still a little girl / pre-teen.  Frankly, the show's world is lucky she went the 'dutiful daughter' route (probably due to her upbringing on Krypton, which has always portrayed itself as a bastion of science, rational thought, and order) rather than 'you can't tell me what to do!' rebel.

Right. And as I've said repeatedly: I don't have a problem with that when she was a little kid. But somewhere around 18-20 the "My family won't let me" stops being a valid excuse for most people.

Look guys, this is a minor thing and I didn't mean it to hijack the thread. It bugs me a little; I'm glad it doesn't bug you; let's let it go. Besides in 10 hours we get the crossover and I'll be too busy Squeeeeing. :)

I think by 18-20 it wasn't "my family won't let me," that dominated her thinking, but "this is how I've always earned my parents' approval (and maintained a decent relationship with my sister)," and that conditioning set itself pretty deeply within her psyche. Acting in all ways like a normal human was the one way of life that she internalized as valid and proper and safe. I can see how it might take a few years of experience in the big, bad, adult world of life in the big city to chip away at that conditioning.

So they kept the curse origin for Silver Banshee after all.  Nice.

Fun episode sums it up.  I can't see it doing anything to spike viewership for either show (there's probably a lot of overlap anyways) but Barry acted exactly like he does in his own show and for any comic crossover in any medium that's always a measure of success for me.

I had a grin at the team up, and I thought they bounced well against each other. 

I do think Barry giving advice to ANYONE about romance is ....well, let's just say I'm not sure he gets to talk on the subject.

I found Win enjoying James' jealousy funny (Poor guy has been there) and Barry's "settle this like women" with an added "What, there are more of you than me" excuse chuckle worthy.

The stuff at the end during the kiss had me laugh even though I'm not sure it's meant to be funny: timing is everything in superhero trials.

Many genuine laugh-out-loud moments during last night's episode.  Flash's reaction to the burning sweater, and indeed many of the interactions between him and Kara / Supergirl were IMO well done and spotlighted both characters' genuine goodness and heroic natures.

I was not surprised by the crowd reaction during the final showdown -- I saw that coming a mile away and thought it was just a bit heavy-handed -- but was pleasantly surprised with

the firemen saving the day, and saving the heroes.

I called my (adult-age) daughter into the room to see part of it, and she adored how Flash and Supergirl / Barry and Kara were together.

Many genuine laugh-out-loud moments during last night's episode.  Flash's reaction to the burning sweater, and indeed many of the interactions between him and Kara / Supergirl were IMO well done and spotlighted both characters' genuine goodness and heroic natures.

I was not surprised by the crowd reaction during the final showdown -- I saw that coming a mile away and thought it was just a bit heavy-handed -- but was pleasantly surprised with

the firemen saving the day, and saving the heroes.

I called my (adult-age) daughter into the room to see part of it, and she adored how Flash and Supergirl / Barry and Kara were together.

It wasn't really anything Supergirl did...it has to do with the secret Flash pheromone power to make everyone love superheroes when he's around.

I really freakin loved this episode! The way they handled the interaction between Barry & Kara - both superpowered and emotional - really nailed both characters for me. I'm especially impressed they managed to make the story fit naturally in the continuity of both series; crossovers can be a little clunky sometimes, but not here. Cat's lines about the CW cast would've been completely over the top coming out of anyone else's mouth, but that's just the way the woman talks. (I also loved: “He was so unfailingly charming and nice he either had to be a superhero or a Mormon.”) And I'm glad they didn't play the Doomed Romance card between Barry & Kara - both shows have more than enough of that already.

I'd say I'd love to see them figure out a way to bring Supergirl onto the Flash, but I'm not sure the trick would work more than once; or at least, not this good.

I would love to be at Star Labs when Barry tells Cisco about Supergirl.

I'm really hoping we get to see that.

Re our previous discussion: I'm glad they didn't wrap up the "regaining the public's trust" arc too easily in a single episode, but I'm also glad they didn't drag it out any longer than this.